• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Microsoft developer choked his 7 year old son after he refused to stop playing Switch: 'I will stop him from breathing'

Status
Not open for further replies.

S0ULZB0URNE

An angry dad who throttled his seven-year old son in a fit of rage after he refused to stop playing video games had threatened to 'stop him breathing'.

Nicholas Lester, a senior developer at Microsoft, lost his temper when his boy refused to stop playing his Nintendo Switch - a direct rival to Microsoft's Xbox games consoles.

'I will stop him breathing,' Lester screamed after placing his terrified son in a choke hold at his West Melbourne home on February 6 last year.

54441389-10533745-image-a-1_1645402656189.jpg

Upon hearing the screams, the boy's mother rushed to the bedroom.

Lester faced the Melbourne Magistrates' Court on Monday where he was sentenced to a one-year community corrections order with a requirement that he perform 100 hours of unpaid work.

The 41-year old pleaded guilty last week to unlawfully assaulting his boy.

The court heard Lester had a history of angst with his now estranged partner over the parenting of their son.

In sentencing Lester, magistrate Caroline Boult condemned Lester for his treatment of the boy.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I had my dad wig out once when I was addicted to Ocarina of Time (that he bought for me lol). Luckily though, he took his frustration out on the N64 and not me, as he ripped it out of the wall and dragged it away. I will admit, it must be frustrating to see a loved one so occupied in a way you can't interact with. I know I get frustrated when people I know keep zoning out to look at their phones.

Last edited:

Dural

I have 4 kids and two of them play games an unhealthy amount, and I do sometimes get angry about it, but I'd never think of choking my kid for playing too much. I'd just put restrictions through the app that don't allow them to play or my wife takes the power cord. I can't imagine hurting my own child like that, the guy is mental.

Aesius

I had my dad wig out once when I was addicted to Ocarina of Time (that he bought for me lol). Luckily though, he took his frustration out on the N64 and not me, as he ripped it out of the wall and dragged it away. I will admit, it must be frustrating to see a loved one so occupied in a way you can't interact with. I know I get frustrated when people I know keep zoning out to look at their phones.
My dad used to get furious over my gaming and computer habits. I remember he once yanked the PC power cord out of the wall because he thought I was spending too much time on the computer! He chilled out significantly later in life and ended up being even more obsessed with his laptop than I ever was with my PC, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom