• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TopSpin 2K25 | Official Announce Trailer | 2K

eerik9000

The fuck? Why is Serena Williams front and center and she is not even playing anymore? Świątek? Sabalenka? Coco Gruff?
Serena and Roger alone are ten times bigger household names than the players you listed combined will ever be. They represent a golden era of tennis, younger players just don't have the marketability. Naomi Osaka was the next big star for a while, a dream for every intersectionalist: American, Japanese, AND black!!! -- but she ended up being a little whiny twat. Maybe if her comeback will be successful, she can be the face of the sport again, but until then, the legends have to carry it.

Cyberpunkd

Serena and Roger alone are ten times bigger household names than the players you listed combined will ever be.
They are not playing anymore. I want to play with the current no. 1. Imagine FIFA giving you the teams from 10 years ago. Also - Serena was a spoiled princess prone to outbursts of anger:

Last edited:

eerik9000

They are not playing anymore. I want to play with the current no. 1. Imagine FIFA giving you the teams from 10 years ago. Also - Serena was a spoiled princess prone to outbursts of anger:

1. Swiatek is confirmed to be in the game and she is also on the cover of one of the editions. Djokovic has not been confirmed yet but I'm sure they will have him as well, it would be stupid not to..
2. FIFA/EA FC absolutely has legendary players from the past generations.
3. Don't worry, Serena is not going to hurt you.

Cyberpunkd

1. Swiatek is confirmed to be in the game and she is also on the cover of one of the editions. Djokovic has not been confirmed yet but I'm sure they will have him as well, it would be stupid not to..
Yes, I noticed she is on the Deluxe (?) Edition, although it would have been nice to just have balls and put a only a woman on the cover of one of them.

JackMcGunns

Please be good

Ncaa Football Please GIF by ESPN College Football

IKR!? Top Spin was one of the better Tennis games 🙏

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I have a slight hot take: I think Virtua Tennis fans are part of(keywords: part of) the reason why we are in this predicament with tennis games.

A ton of VT fans don’t really accept any other franchise to touch the sport, even though we have had a ton of great and fun entries for example Top Spin, Hot Shots Tennis, Mario Tennis, and Outlaw Tennis. I understand how good Virtua Tennis is as a series, but the other franchises were worth playing arguably just as much.
Samuel L Jackson Movie GIF by Star Wars

RAIDEN1

I have a slight hot take: I think Virtua Tennis fans are part of(keywords: part of) the reason why we are in this predicament with tennis games.

A ton of VT fans don’t really accept any other franchise to touch the sport, even though we have had a ton of great and fun entries for example Top Spin, Hot Shots Tennis, Mario Tennis, and Outlaw Tennis. I understand how good Virtua Tennis is as a series, but the other franchises were worth playing arguably just as much.
Yeah but if you are someone who doesn't own a Nintendo console, only the main 2, then Mario tennis doesn't come into the equation...

eerik9000

Yes, I noticed she is on the Deluxe (?) Edition, although it would have been nice to just have balls and put a only a woman on the cover of one of them.
But that's the problem with current era of women's tennis in general, they don't have many "marketable" players. I am sorry, but Iga is just too boring to be the face of WTA.

Anyways, the Saudis are currently pushing to buy both ATP and WTA, so if that goes through, maybe they will also invest into a big high-quality video game.

Cyberpunkd

But that's the problem with current era of women's tennis in general, they don't have many "marketable" players. I am sorry, but Iga is just too boring to be the face of WTA.
Serena was what? A whinny brat yelling at others? Roger is the definition of perfect, boring Swiss.

ManaByte

Love Topspin, but 2K are going to fuck this up by charging £70 for the base game and then have a sea of micro transactions upon first turning the game on.

Will wait for a massively deep sale, unless I'm wrong.

It'll be 70,000 VC just for a racket that can barely hit the ball.

eerik9000

Serena was what? A whinny brat yelling at others? Roger is the definition of perfect, boring Swiss.
Serena was one of the greatest female players of all time who dominated the sport for two decades. Strong and recognizable character on and off the court. Swiatek, Rybakina, Vondrousova, etc. might as well be the same person with no recognizable traits.

Made a review thread which will also act as an OT here:

Last edited:
Top Bottom