• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

Muku

Thanks guys! Means a lot! Been a junior here since my college days! LoL. I'm always afraid to post!

Here's my other shots-

Another composite-

36745103255_633a4e9352_b.jpg

And a jet crashing the end of the eclipse!

http://www.astrobin.com/full/308432/0/?nc=user

That is so beautiful! Wow. And that jet as well, haha. No one can just let the sun have it's time to shine. ;)

it was pretty breathtaking. crazy how cold it got during the partial eclipse period... i noticed the temperature drop before i noticed the sunlight subtly dimming in advance of totality

It's crazy to feel temperature drop during it. I remember at one point close to totality just a cool wind rushed right over us. It was so eerie. Just out of no where. Though it was amazing how much more it dropped on totality. But then again... everything changed.

A personal friend of mine got this shot (I actually gave him the solar film to use for a filter). Canon DSLR with 400mm F2.8 lens, no idea about shutter speed or ISO. Nice flares to the right.

7hg9Wek.jpg

I think I may have honestly damaged my eyes yesterday. I went out and took a few glances at the eclipse. Stared directly at it. I have had a headache ever since and I'm afraid that my left eye might be messed up. I mean maybe I'm being paranoid but I think at the very least I have given myself a headache from the exposure. I don't have blurred vision or blind spots or anything like that but I am getting a little concerned.

Bro :/

RCSI

Made it back from Madras, Oregon, sharing a moment before totality.

35959172553_39dfd3d039_o.png

If I ever make it to another Total Eclipse, I will aim for more wide angle shots to capture the surrounding environment in view of this stunning event.

Muku

Made it back from Madras, Oregon, sharing a moment before totality.

35959172553_39dfd3d039_o.png

If I ever make it to another Total Eclipse, I will aim for more wide angle shots to capture the surrounding environment in view of this stunning event.

So beautiful! Will you be trying to go to the 2024 one? And a wide angle shot to show the enviironment as well would be fantastic. Can't even really describe it. I took video as it went out and during it. Sadly because my friends and fam back home in Charleston got the shaft with a lovely overcast/rainy day. :( Even video can't quite describe everything in it though.

theepic, those are beautiful! What percentage did it get in Chi-town?

Cth

I think I may have honestly damaged my eyes yesterday. I went out and took a few glances at the eclipse. Stared directly at it. I have had a headache ever since and I'm afraid that my left eye might be messed up. I mean maybe I'm being paranoid but I think at the very least I have given myself a headache from the exposure. I don't have blurred vision or blind spots or anything like that but I am getting a little concerned.

You're probably fine. I've actually damaged mine from the last one.

Long story short, I bought an official lens to put on my telescope that was official from NASA or something. I'd use it to look at the sun briefly but somewhere along the way it got a tiny scratch on it which let more light in that it should have.

Essentially I have a tiny hole on my retina.. I can see fine, no headaches, etc. Just a tiny blurry spot in one eye. I'm 44 years old, so my eyes are finally starting to need reading glasses. Otherwise, no issues. The other eye compensates for the tiny blind spot which is only noticable when closing one eye or reading with just the one eye. Even then I can look away and back for a second and "catch" what the letter is (or guess which isn't hard really)

Long story short? You're fine. You could always go to the eye doctor and they can see if there's a hole there, but likely not. You'd know if so. Blurry spots, "missing info", etc. Stuff around the blind spot "warps" like a fun house mirror too at times.

Top Bottom