• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War Warhammer 2 |OT| Of Mice and Ratmen

I always have trouble with public order. I want to CONQUER but I have to leave my army in town to make sure these rats stay quiet. I have a fuck ton of money though but I can't buy happiness. for my people.

ISee

I always have trouble with public order. I want to CONQUER but I have to leave my army in town to make sure these rats stay quiet. I have a fuck ton of money though but I can't buy happiness. for my people.

You gotta do, what you gotta do. My malekith (that greedy *******) conquered a bunch of chaos territory and now has trouble bringing order into his new provinces. In general yes, public order seems to be way harder to achieve the in TWW1, but maybe it's just the salves sideffect for me.

Worst thing is I'm gonna have to balance that skaven corruption too.

Edit: Though maybe not such a bad thing. Rebel groups are good sources of food and XP although I will have to halt my conquering. Probably need a home defense army and a conquering army to maintain that strategy.

Violet_0

Banned

only on turn 7, but public order is already in the negative double digits everywhere, and I can't afford a second general yet. The plan right now is to secure the provinces and squish revolts. I'm kinda used to it due to playing VC. Playing on very hard, the most noticable effect is always the huge public order debuff

it's weirding me out that I can't even use the tech tree yet as rats

ISee

Just make sure to not stand for too long in chaos corruption or your lords will turn insane (-5 to public order in local province). Making things even harder. I'm even considering to not bother with chaos on my next play through and to wipe them out. The time and resources I have to invest to hold on to them isn't probably with it.

Chose Skaven as my first faction. Rat ogres are nasty and fast. Massive rebel skaven army was besieging an elven walled city. Got an ambush off of it and destroyed the entire army then took the city myself. Also I signed a pact with a beastmen tribe that was raiding waltzing through my lands and now they just kinda patrol around killing these small high elf armies that sail up from the Fortress of Dawn. Yay friends! I might go destroy their little island fortress and then come back to the mainland to take some warpstones. Really liking the UI improvements and climate stuff. This game is a real nice improvement on the first one in terms of QoL. Tiny changes but boy do they add up.

ElyrionX

Some streamers I watched simply let the regions revolt and just crush the rebellion early. It provides a public order boost and the battle is also free xp and gold.

ohyescoolgreat

Neo Member

In the early game as Skrolk, most of my towns sat in the red for public order. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you're not overextending yourself and have your army too far away from the homelands. Skaven rebel armies are a pushover, plus once the rebellion happens the public order goes up +20 a turn for a few turns if I recall correctly.
Good source of food and experience as well.

The plague spells and Skrolk in general are berserk. The armour debuff combined with the poison granting buff to allies in the area is such a potent combo and that's not even getting into the damage spells you have access to. I'm finding the lore of Ruin spells a little lacklustre in comparison though overcast warp lightning is pretty fun.

double attack on my only city on turn freaking 2 (and yeah, it's ugly on lowest graphic settings)

nope

I think my early-game rival just took themselve out of the game

Give Knife the Insane a promotion. I'm always doing a lot of attacking but I really love defensive battles. Feels more heroic when you hold the line and against the odds.

I fucking love this game so much

Think I prefer it to TW1, but I don't know why

I personally think the vortex stuff especially elevates this game. Its a very good mechanic (way better thsn those weird chapters in the first.) Also it seems like there are more factions who actually do stuff. In tw1 it kinda seemed like all the smaller factions were just waiting to be grabbed but in this game its not like that at all.

Violet_0

Banned
Give Knife the Insane a promotion. I'm always doing a lot of attacking but I really love defensive battles. Feels more heroic when you hold the line and against the odds.
he deserves it for that name alone

I just had another brutal battle (full red bar) that ended in a valiant defeat, sadly.
e: nvm I think those are just normal armies

I had to reload to back to turn 7 twice now because the Lizards can somehow sustain two large-ish armies on two settlement. Just gonna raze their city now and run away

Palmer_v1

My Lizardman hard campaign is going okay. Around turn 100, and the High Elves, Dark Elves, and myself are working towards the third rituals, while ratmen still need to do the second one. HE and DE are probably both ahead of me, as they completed Ritual 2 10+ turns ahead of me.

The disruption armies I've sent don't seem to do anything useful, so that's been wasted money. I'm still slowly conquering all of the lizardman stuff to the south and east, though the dark elves are forcing me to reinforce my northern cities.

My lizardman armies seem strong. I can put out so much healing that my front line rarely falters, while my stegadons and a carnasaur rampage through everything. My artillery dino is still doing work too, but I want to try the better ones soon. It feels like Dwarves in a way, cause I don't really care about enemy cavalry very much. At worst, I just throw that net spell at them to keep them off my skinks while some spear sauruses run over.

I still think I might lose to the High Elves, but we'll see.

Ravelle

I had had a wrong start with the Dark Elves I think, I am way behind on the ritual ticker because I lack the scroll thingies and I still have no clue what the sacrifices do, I selected the Black Ark once and didn't see anything happen.

I grabbed the retail version and thought it came with the norsica DLC for the first game for early adopters, was it only for digital purchases?

ExVicis

Chose Skaven as my first faction. Rat ogres are nasty and fast. Massive rebel skaven army was besieging an elven walled city. Got an ambush off of it and destroyed the entire army then took the city myself. Also I signed a pact with a beastmen tribe that was raiding waltzing through my lands and now they just kinda patrol around killing these small high elf armies that sail up from the Fortress of Dawn. Yay friends! I might go destroy their little island fortress and then come back to the mainland to take some warpstones. Really liking the UI improvements and climate stuff. This game is a real nice improvement on the first one in terms of QoL. Tiny changes but boy do they add up.

Just started playing and chose Malekith as my first faction and I'm on the opposite of that. Skaven started getting every Chaos faction they could it looks like to come beat on me. Beastmen, Chaos Warriors, whoever just happened to have an army nearby. It's not that threatening to fight all this guys but man it's annoying to have to be in range of 3 huge armies.

Talas

Just starting a campaign with Tyrion as my first faction. I'm doing well but I think HE are this game's Empire.

I'm still not sure how the rituals work, should I do them as soon as the conditions are met or when the bonuses are needed?

Mathi

I grabbed the retail version and thought it came with the norsica DLC for the first game for early adopters, was it only for digital purchases?
I think you automatically get Norsca when you register your retail copy on steam. I bought it digitally and there was only one code for the main game that also activated the DLC. Keep in mind that Norsca is only playable in the first game, at least until the Mortal Empires campaign is released.

Violet_0

Banned
Clan Pestilence got a pretty tough start. You can pretty easily expand to 10 cities in 20 turns, but the Lizardmen field huge armies from the very start. Without a little save scumming and tricking the AI (raze settlement > run away from double armies > let one army settle ruins > attack weakened army in city, destroy other army, eliminate Southern Sentinels) I would be up against impossible odds. Itzel, the next huge military power, declared war on me a while ago, while my current army is in shambles from wars and claiming ruins atm, but so far they didn't act against me. HE are pulling ahead towards the first Votex goal, and I can't do anything about it, but at least I got a good economy going now

Hmm, I got like 2/3 through my Dark Elf Hard campaign and I've kinda lost the will to continue. Of the four ritual factions, only me and the High Elves have any hope of completing it; I have enough wealth and territory to beat back the Lizardmen, and the Skaven are about 20 turns behind everyone else. So my path to victory is to turtle up and periodically attack the High Elves, which is... terribly boring. And before I can continue this victory march, it will be at least a half dozen turns of logistics which I just don't wanna do.

The thing is, even if a faction does somehow pull ahead during this tedium, a desperate intervention has always ruined their rituals so far and I don't see it changing on this difficulty.

On one hand, the Vortex Campaign has made everything in the campaign more interesting, because it's impossible to just cut out a corner of the map for yourself--there's just too much happening. But on the other hand, the Vortex victory condition and progress has a sort of Civilization science victory-esque feel to it, where at a certain point you're just waiting down turn timers to make your next step. I'd enjoy it more if there was more of a tangible feeling of progress, a la the Grand Campaign's conquest.

So I'll try a different faction at a harder difficulty and hopefully the Vortex campaign will click a bit better. I'm thinking Skaven of Lizardmen.

I think you automatically get Norsca when you register your retail copy on steam. I bought it digitally and there was only one code for the main game that also activated the DLC. Keep in mind that Norsca is only playable in the first game, at least until the Mortal Empires campaign is released.

Not there for me, I have got both the games as boxed retail and installed via steam but nothing doing for the add-on pack.

Weird

ElyrionX

I've got a Noble running around now. What happens if I destroy the only building that gives me the capacity to have him?

ISee

I had had a wrong start with the Dark Elves I think, I am way behind on the ritual ticker because I lack the scroll thingies and I still have no clue what the sacrifices do, I selected the Black Ark once and didn't see anything happen.

You can now build the black arc in one of your ports (e.g. nagaroth). It's an amazing naval support unit that can help out in battle via bombardment and it helps with unit replenishment and recruitment in foreign territory. It works just like a horde in many ways (mobile city). The sacrifices give you different abilities and bonuses for a limited amount of rounds. They can help tremendously.

I've got a Noble running around now. What happens if I destroy the only building that gives me the capacity to have him?

He stays, but you no longer will be able to recruit a new one.

E21071719492F36191D95F6BAED88AC3F7A6DD97

Dark Elves thought it was a good idea to attack my besieging army... well, take my lizard magic!

Violet_0

Banned
Dark Elves thought it was a good idea to attack my besieging army... well, take my lizard magic!

I see the AI still likes to build way too many ranged units. The Skaven ability is fantastic against this, but holy hell are those skins annoying

is damage magic actually good know? The Skaven pestilence cone spell does nearly no damage, haven't tried overcast yet

Can anyone suggest any good tutorials/Lets Play type videos to help explain the civ phase for those of us utterly new to the Total War series?

I'm mostly onboard as a long-time Warhammer player, and bought the first game to prepare... Picked Dwarves... and within a couple dozen turns my population was all miserable for reasons I don't understand... and I had enemies on all sides.

Pretty flexible definition of 'Close Victory'. You smashed them up pretty good lol. They couldn't field another attack but you still have your whole army.

Can anyone suggest any good tutorials/Lets Play type videos to help explain the civ phase for those of us utterly new to the Total War series?

I'm mostly onboard as a long-time Warhammer player, and bought the first game to prepare... Picked Dwarves... and within a couple dozen turns my population was all miserable for reasons I don't understand... and I had enemies on all sides.

Here's a video from just a quick google search. I haven't watched it but skimming through it, seems good.

is damage magic actually good know? The Skaven pestilence cone spell does nearly no damage, haven't tried overcast yet

Well the Lizardmen spell "Ruination of Cities" is pretty insane, so is "Focus of Mysteries". The others are pretty weak so far.

Pretty flexible definition of 'Close Victory'. You smashed them up pretty good lol. They couldn't field another attack but you still have your whole army.

Yeah lol, nothing close about that victory. ssss

Danicard

Neo Member

To get scrolls with DE you should conquer the province capital east of Naggarond (Ghrond) which has a scroll symbol and build the unique building.
After you do the black arc rite you have to select a city with a port and click on the last button to recruit a black arc.

What if he gets wounded?

As long as he doesn't die in battle or is assassinated by an agent he will appear again after a few turns if he was wounded.

Any tips for cult of pleasure? Having really hard time keeping public order in check. Im basically just afking in my two new regions while atleast two factions already did the first ritual. I have only 210 scrolls atm.

Scirrocco

Any tips for speeding up load times? Like things to disable in graphics? For some reason the last 5% or so just seems to take forever, and I don't really need amazing graphics.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm in an incredibly grindy war with Itza, which is a military superpower despite being down to 3 cities now, all of which it recently captured from me so they (should) be worthless atm. I can only field two armies full of clanrats and nothing else, and that's already operating at a considerable loss, meanwhile they had two stacks of feral stegadons, temple guards, terradons, riders .... which they can somehow afford even though I have three times as many cities

things looked pretty grim, until one stack decided to force a siege battle against a vastly outclassed lvl 1 general with a half-full slaves-only army and a tier 1 wall. Thing is, more than half their army was cavalry, which created a huge choke point at the gate, on the other side I had lots and lots of slave spearmen waiting for them, and my garnison leader was an engineer or whatever they are called. That one has a very low-cost, highly efficient aoe damage spell, which combined with the chokepoint - well, easy heroic victory right there. Their retreating army got attacked by a rebel army that was building up over several turns, pushed them back, then my slaves army defeated both of them and my two other armies auto-resolved the siege of their capital and now I'm back in the game due to this funny chain of events

but fucking hell, this is a tough campaign. It doesn't feel very fair to have to go against these super powerful AI factions that early in the game, it's like fighting confederated Dwarves on turn 20

I see the AI still likes to build way too many ranged units. The Skaven ability is fantastic against this, but holy hell are those skins annoying

The cone spell does good damage on low armored stuff, if you target properly. Like on skinks if you engage a bunch in melee so they don't move, and then do a sideways cone and make sure the larger part(it's past the targetting visual) hits the larger pack, it does stupid damage. But if you use on say dwarfs warriors it does like no damage at all. The overcast only adds a poison effect I think(so reduce speed etc, the usual poison effect), so not worth it.

I don't use it that much since it's situational, but I use it every now and then. Mostly I summon clanrats, that's by far the best early spell, then summon plaguemonks that's a nice upgrade does a lot higher damage but only 2 units, I use wither(overcast too pretty often) cause it's super cheap and low cd I put 2points in it and one of the quest items for Skrolk reduces the cost further, I think it's 13winds overcast for 40secs of -60armor in a large aoe, it's stupidly good, I use the poison buff spells rarely(used it more early game but now it's just not worth) and I grabbed the "vortex" but I haven't had a good time to use it, the one time I used it was late in the fight and I don't know if the enemies routed instantly cause I was about to win or because of the spell. I put points in it cause Skrolk has reduced cost so figured why not, I need to test it properly though.

I also used the first lore of ruin spell with garrison mages, it's a bombardment, I don't think it does great damage to everything but it killed skinks like crazy too. Skinks being garbage units but I popped it on the walls in a stack of 3skinks and they all lost 25-40% of their healthbars. It still did ok damage for the relatively low cost on whatever the early saurus unit is for lizardmen too.

But so far damage looked ok. Skrolk activated abilities are also stupidly strong, he's a beast, just wish he could ride a Bell like the greyseer lords. I play on Ultra, not sure if it still matters for spell scaling.

Oh and I saw some Skaven public order discussions, I haven't had too many issues. Most of my stuff is low, but it's going low slowly, and now that I've hit a decent point it's going back up everywhere actually. I made sure to build the +1untainted thing almost everywhere to try to keep skaven corruption in check and in general I don't try to spread it too much. I've had a couple of rebellions but not much. I was at high food most of the game from the constant battles with all the factions around me though, like between the highest and second highest constantly even dumping +5menace below every fight(which is how I won most fights to begin with, played full slaves army until like turn 25-30), so that probably helped a lot. I only dipped to half recently around turn 60 cause I grabbed a ton of settlements without much fighting, so I've had to use the food commandment on my minor regions to compensate. I got my eye on some pasture settlement after I'm done cleaning up the elves and dwarfs, already cleared most lizardmens out of the area, only factions left on the southern part are some orc tribe, undead coast and some skaven I'll confederate once I can afford moving back north, and like a 2settlement lizard fighting the undead constantly.

ElyrionX

I am really enjoying the HE. Their units are amazing in stats and aesthetics. Magic is also very strong in this game. Teclis is so fun to play and so powerful. This faction is pretty much what I wanted to see so badly in the first game.

So after getting bored with my Dark Elf campaign, I've joined the rats, and now I'm having a heckuva time making a Very Hard Clan Mors start work. The lizardmen are everywhere, and all the Clanrats in the world (i.e. my armies) won't stop them. I've noticed ranged units, artillery, and magic work very well on Lizardmen, but I've been struggling to get my infrastructure and armies to where they need to be before the Last Sentinels or w/e decide to stomp me.

My only recourse is to be more aggressive. I've continually gotten boxed in by stronger rivals, so I'm thinking by sacrificing my economy and running with two armies, I can aggressively expand through one of the Lizardmen factions and set myself up to defend against the other. But that will leave the problem of infrastructure and army comp... I guess I'll see.

In spite of these difficult starts, I'm liking the Skaven a lot. They remind me a lot of the Greenskins, except the rat summons feel a lot better than a waaagh; it turns every battle into this apocalyptic scenario for my target. I just love zerg rushing opponents, there's some primal level of fun right there. Also, Skaven magic (or maybe TWWH2 magic in general) seems a lot more useful than in the first game.

Violet_0

Banned
after reading some of the discussions on the official forum, I get the impression that both Skaven factions are hard mode if you crank up the difficulty. It starts with having to juggle three different public order mechanics, autobattle heavily disfavors clanrats and slaves armies even though they mop up the enemy on the battlefield, but mainly it's because you start with powerful and hostile neighbors that get a ton of free extra gold

The cone spell does good damage on low armored stuff, if you target properly. Like on skinks if you engage a bunch in melee so they don't move, and then do a sideways cone and make sure the larger part(it's past the targetting visual) hits the larger pack, it does stupid damage. But if you use on say dwarfs warriors it does like no damage at all. The overcast only adds a poison effect I think(so reduce speed etc, the usual poison effect), so not worth it.

I don't use it that much since it's situational, but I use it every now and then. Mostly I summon clanrats, that's by far the best early spell, then summon plaguemonks that's a nice upgrade does a lot higher damage but only 2 units, I use wither(overcast too pretty often) cause it's super cheap and low cd I put 2points in it and one of the quest items for Skrolk reduces the cost further, I think it's 13winds overcast for 40secs of -60armor in a large aoe, it's stupidly good, I use the poison buff spells rarely(used it more early game but now it's just not worth) and I grabbed the "vortex" but I haven't had a good time to use it, the one time I used it was late in the fight and I don't know if the enemies routed instantly cause I was about to win or because of the spell. I put points in it cause Skrolk has reduced cost so figured why not, I need to test it properly though.

I also used the first lore of ruin spell with garrison mages, it's a bombardment, I don't think it does great damage to everything but it killed skinks like crazy too. Skinks being garbage units but I popped it on the walls in a stack of 3skinks and they all lost 25-40% of their healthbars. It still did ok damage for the relatively low cost on whatever the early saurus unit is for lizardmen too.

But so far damage looked ok. Skrolk activated abilities are also stupidly strong, he's a beast, just wish he could ride a Bell like the greyseer lords. I play on Ultra, not sure if it still matters for spell scaling.

yeah, the summon plaguemonks and clansrat spells are super cheap (9 and 3 mana, with no upgrade), together with Menace Below I get a lot of additional units on the battlefield. Wither is great, the poison attacks spells is not that useful, the vortex in normal cast mode is not really worth it unless there's a big blob of inmobile enemy units standing around in one spot

you should try out the warlock engineer, they have a low cost damage spell that is way better than anything I've seen in TW2 or 1 so far

I had a plague catapult since the start of the game, which struggles to deal much damage to anything even with armor-piercing. It does somewhere around 135 damage, I don't know how well that compares to grudge throwers, but it feels rather weak, somehow

one of my plague priests gains access to the plague furnace in one level, which will be my first unit above clansrat tier and finally something that I can run into saurus blocks without much thought
My only recourse is to be more aggressive. I've continually gotten boxed in by stronger rivals, so I'm thinking by sacrificing my economy and running with two armies, I can aggressively expand through one of the Lizardmen factions and set myself up to defend against the other. But that will leave the problem of infrastructure and army comp... I guess I'll see.
that's exactly what I did. Two armies (sometimes three for a short time), negative income, when Itza declared war on me I rushed their cities while they went after mine with their much stronger armies. It turned out that they weren't really fully commited to the city tradeoff and ran back after a short while, which was ultimately their downfall. Now I have to reclaim a few of my settlements and get rid of their last stack and finally have a moment to chill and unlock some mid-tier units

ElyrionX

Has anyone managed to confederate with Tyrion/Teclis?

I am playing Teclis and Tyrion is a beast, maintaining rank 1 in strength for almost the entire game until I overtook him recently. We don't fight the same enemies so relations are good but not fantastic. So it seems like I won't get any chance to confederate with him?

Also, it's a bit underwhelming that the two HE legendary lords get horses for mounts while the lords get dragons.

loki0wn

What is the counter for lizardmen's Primal Instincts? Does it go off whenever the morale goes low or is it when the morale is hit hard at one moment?

Being aggressive as Skaven has worked--I defeated Kroq-gar's faction by taking his territory and then fighting his armies, rather than the reverse.

Primal Instincts and Kroq's wild economy (running a two stacks plus reinforcements) makes them far too strong to fight fairly.

I'm beginning to realise that the Skaven's endless numbers makes entangling an enemy's forces, and then repositioning key units a good route to success. The problem arises when all you have are the numbers, and none of the key units.

However, even then sometimes numbers are enough...
What is the counter for lizardmen's Primal Instincts? Does it go off whenever the morale goes low or is it when the morale is hit hard at one moment?
Primal Instinct is triggered at 50% health, IIRC.

And as far as weaknesses, they chase the closest enemy unit, so theoretically you could disengage and have them chase someone across half the map. Alternately, they'd be very susceptible to ranged attacks, spells, cavalry charges, and flanking in this state, since they won't move. However, I've found that in practice it just makes fighting them a nightmare, because if you don't finish them off they'll just rout and then turn around and enter battle again.

Ark

Lizardmen are the fucking best. Playing as Mazdimundi, but I can't wait to do a Krok'gar and Skaven playthrough too! So far only encountered Skaven and Lizardmen factions, I'm super intrigued to see how ornate the High Elf lands are.

Do you suggest the game for someone that tries the total war series for the first time?
Also, is it GPU heavy? Is there someone with a gtx 970 that can tell me if he can achieve 60fps?

Violet_0

Banned
I'm putting the Clan Pestilence campaign on hold. Lustria is an awful starting place. I'm at war with three different Lizardmen factions, two of which have way better armies, despite me owning most of the fucking continent and my economy still can't support two low-tier armies. Now the third small Lizardmen faction in the south-west corner declared war and is razing my far-away provinces and I can't raise a third army because they are too expensive in TW2. This is too annoying to handle at the moment

Top Bottom