• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toy Story 3 - where is the "Game" announcement ?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Chip N Chance said:
I just want to play another game based on my favorite movie of all time. And with the recent news of them not basing it actually off the movie, its gotten people excited. Sort of what Batman did. They made something that was fun first. It also seems to be in the vein of Nuts & Bolts, which was like a goofy toy sandbox.

I like how Sony got away with putting the "Only on Playstation" tag on the box. :lol

I agree. Set in the universe but not following a strict "same as the movie" story is the way to go for a successful game modeled after a movie. If this can be half as good as Batman AA then its going to be excellent.

I also like how the three Sony lines say: Exclusive Content Only on Playstation Play as Zurg

Box looks good. I like it. And Buzz looking at Zurg with a "I'm gonna getcha" expression. Almost looks like a slipcover you get on Blurays nowadays. How come we don't have super nice slipcovers for games?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Chip N Chance said:
I like how Sony got away with putting the "Only on Playstation" tag on the box. :lol
Seriously, what the fuck Sony? Just for that Only on PS logo you had to put in that extra bullshit :/

raviolico said:
wasn`t this supposed to be developed internal at Disney Interactive with (kinda) actual help from Pixar?

as far as it can go for a tie in, i was looking forward to the fruits of this collaboration with mild hopes. so, the movie rolls out in a couple of months...but no sign of a game.
was it canceled or what?

Some one hasnt read their latest issue of Game Informer (about 6 page preview in there)

Keyser Soze said:
I think all hope of anything good is gone after...

588806_51645_front.jpg

Toystory264.jpg

Toy_Story_Racer.jpg

Disney%27s_Extreme_Skate_Adventure.jpg

Toy_Story_Mania.jpg

...not even a good one in there whatsoever. Even Traveller's Tales failed :(

Hey . . . this one was fun:

Disney%27s_Extreme_Skate_Adventure.jpg

Disney characters on the old (great) Tony hawk skate engine. It was fun.

FoneBone said:
I liked the 16-bit Toy Story game. Of course, the graphics definitely helped.

Yeah, allot of licensed games in the 16 bit era were good. Its when they had to make 3D models, and inevitably cut corners to do so. Sprites will always get the picture across.

[Nintex]

Looks at trailer

So Toy Story: Nuts & Bolts this is...

I'm a huge fan of Banjo Nuts & Bolts but I doubt that this game is better.

[Nintex] said:
Looks at trailer

So Toy Story: Nuts & Bolts this is...

I'm a huge fan of Banjo Nuts & Bolts but I doubt that this game is better.

lol Nuts & Bolts was phenomenal. I liked the idea of that game, and this appears to be the next game to try that concept.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Oh God I sorta want this.

I love Toy Story.

this looks awesome

I just noticed that it is selling for $50 and there is a PC version at $30. Unless the PC version turns out to be crap, it sounds like the PS3 version has exclusive content, right? or is it something where the PS3 has its exclusive content and the 360 has a different one?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Linkzg said:
this looks awesome

I just noticed that it is selling for $50 and there is a PC version at $30. Unless the PC version turns out to be crap, it sounds like the PS3 version has exclusive content, right? or is it something where the PS3 has its exclusive content and the 360 has a different one?

The Gamespot interview linked above makes it sound like the PS3 version has some exclusive content (and also Move support), while the others do not.

[Nintex]

It's fun to see that Banjo Nuts & Bolts was inspired by Toy Story and now the Toy Story videogame is inspired by Banjo Nuts & Bolts

Loxley

It's funny to think that back when Super Mario 64 came out, many critics praised it because it felt like you were playing through Toy Story (meaning a three-dimensional environment) and now we've finally gotten to the point where the visuals damn near match Pixar's films (aliasing notwithstanding).

*Edit: From that IGN preview:

No, Toy Story 3 isn't a game for people who loved the third film, but is instead for anyone who's fallen in love with Pixar's vision and wants a chance to let their inner child have some simple fun in a world that's both imaginative and familiar.

Sounds great to me :D

watkinzez

The segment for this game on the latest Rebel FM made it sound really cool. It's like the N&B sequel we're never going to get! :)

:(

Wag

Sony was pushing the PS3 version on this week's Pulse, so this game could potentially do fairly well.

Wag

AP Review
Weirdly enough, the one game the Toy Box reminded me of was another Wild West adventure, Rockstar Games' recent smash "Red Dead Redemption" — minus all the prostitutes and corpses. Like "RDR," "Toy Story 3" delivers a wide-open landscape of seemingly endless possibilities. It's one of the most adventurous movie games ever created, and it's a delight. Three-and-a-half stars out of four.
I guess what with E3 going on this one just sort of passed us by (released yesterday). This one sounds really good.

I got it! lmao, and probably the only PS3 owner with it- friends are making fun of me =(

Shit is my childhood damn it! So far it feels like any 'ol Pixar based game, very simple, lots to collect and some nice humor.

RedStep

Picked this up Tuesday. It's a lot of fun. "Story" mode is a collection of 8 varied levels, but it's not really the story. There are about 4 levels from the movie and 4 "fantasy" levels that are completely unrelated.

Toybox mode is where it's at. As mentioned, it's like a mini-open world. It has elements of GTA and LittleBigPlanet (item bubbles everywhere with parts in them), which turns out to be better than I expected.

Also, the two-player co-op is fun. Too bad the second player doesn't get any of the achievements.

Sanic

RedStep said:
Picked this up Tuesday. It's a lot of fun. "Story" mode is a collection of 8 varied levels, but it's not really the story. There are about 4 levels from the movie and 4 "fantasy" levels that are completely unrelated.

Toybox mode is where it's at. As mentioned, it's like a mini-open world. It has elements of GTA and LittleBigPlanet (item bubbles everywhere with parts in them), which turns out to be better than I expected.

Also, the two-player co-op is fun. Too bad the second player doesn't get any of the achievements.

So it story mode just a platformer, and is it any good? I've seen a few videos of sandbox mode, but based on that alone I wasn't sure if I would enjoy the game or not, as in those videos, toybox mode seemed more about screwing around than following any kind of (even loose) structure.

RedStep

Pandoracell said:
So it story mode just a platformer, and is it any good? I've seen a few videos of sandbox mode, but based on that alone I wasn't sure if I would enjoy the game or not, as in those videos, toybox mode seemed more about screwing around than following any kind of (even loose) structure.

It's kind of hard to say. Yes, it is a platformer, but it has kind of a strange structure. It is fun. We enjoyed it. Maybe only 3 hours or so if you're not going for all the collectibles.

Some levels are open, some go in a straight line away from the camera, some are a little minigame collection, and one is a big puzzle where you use three different characters' abilities (like a kid version of the Lost Vikings). You play some levels as the "real" Buzz and Woody as well, in their respective personas.

I'd recommend it if you're a fan, but be aware that Toybox mode is where the bulk of the playtime is. Story won't last very long.

Peff

Pandoracell said:

Apparently it's 2/3 hours long and it's a standard collectaton with some problems with the jumping... you can see some footage here

Pooya

just a warning! Stay away from PC version of Toy Story 3, it's a port of Wii version, yeah Wii!
Toy Box mode is different from PS360 version, graphics are awful. thanks GameFAQs.

OK this game is seriously awesome. I've just spent the past 3 and a bit hrs playing it none stop. Had to drag myself off it.

If you're in any way a TS fan this is a must. Gotta say the graphics are really, really nice.

You start off doing a "normal" platform type level on the back of Bullseye dodging Evil Dr. Porkchops (Hamm) in his laser shooting spaceship across canyons. Along the way you collect cards of different characters and other items, as well as tokens which you can buy stuff with later. Then you get to an almost Uncharted 2 like train scene to take down the dastardly Ha... I mean Evil Dr. Porkchops. It's not as easy as you'd imagine getting through without dying and it's got nice replay value in trying to get all the collectables.

Then you get taken into the really awesome part of the game, the Toy Box. Seriously, there is soooooo much to do in this mode and it's quite a large map, with other areas opening up as you complete certain tasks... of which there are many. You get main series characters needing jobs doing as well as random townsfolk. Also in this mode there's prize bubbles to collect which gives you new hair styles, outfits, building objects and decorations. These are used to fully customise your Toy Box map. You can buy certain building with coins you collect and mine and place them in certain locations (though this is very limited to a few spots or just 1). Then you can paint the building and have it brick or wood etc. Put flowers, decoprations outside, on top, on the sides to make them unique. Building a barber shop for instance lets you chuck a townsfolk inside to change his appearance; hair, hat, clothing.

Just loads of nice touches and cool moments. When a new item becomes available you get a neat little advert movie to tell you about it. There's also a shortcut type part of wells dotted about so you can get to areas quicker. You can also ride around on Bullseye when you unlock him. You can unlock a camera for tasks as well as the fun of going around and taking well rated pictures to put on the billboard in town. When you build a bank you have to be careful of outlaws stealing your money if you're not quick enough. Capturing them and chucking them in jail can halt your losses and gain rewards. I honestly just feel as though I've scratched the surface of this mode. It's so cool.

I forgot all about being able to do the normal platform levels once I got into this mode, which takes place on a board game type layout Hamm made. Here you can also visit Al's Toy Barn to view your collectables and unlock more stuff for Toy Box mode.

Loving it so far. :D

jkanownik

Pizza Luigi said:
It does? Mind blown! How do you do that?

Press start on the second controller. Screen will go to a vertical split with no option to change it to horizontal. Split screen works in both game modes.

I just saw the earlier question on Toy Box mode. It definitely has structure if you want it. There are 40 star challenges to complete including a picture "taking" mode that is pretty in depth. All told it's ~20 hours of game play if you have fun while completing it versus just rushing through it.

If you go for 100% you'll definitely notice that the controls aren't great. Driving and grabbing/special moves in particular are a little rough. If you're just messing around though they aren't an issue.

miladesn said:
just a warning! Stay away from PC version of Toy Story 3, it's a port of Wii version, yeah Wii!
Toy Box mode is different from PS360 version, graphics are awful. thanks GameFAQs.
I was going to say this is really weird but I just learned Avalanche Studios and Avalanche Software are 2 different companies!

I thought this was Avalanche Studios and the same engine as Just Cause 2 (which has been used on PC for that game and theHunter) so basing the PC version of the Wii version would be silly.

Not that it still isn't kind of silly.

I hope that shit is a placeholder because that is one ugly boxart. Then again, the people who actually plan on buying this don't even deserve a nice looking boxart, seeing that they already should be in the posession of the two Toy Story movies on Blu-Ray or at least waiting on buying the three-pack but not this.

Imagine how ugly that'll look on the shelf. Toy Story 1 and 3: The Game packed on 1 disc on one part of the shelf. Toy Story 2 (and eventually 3) all alone in a totally different part. Wow.

That said, I love the game. Really cool, also after watching the magnificent movie.

Just got all Gold Stars in Toy Box mode. Well chuffed with that. Didn't think I'd get it, but it's a time consuming process. Game could have done with a checklist though as there are so mamny items to collect. Think I can Platinum it now!

Gotta say having played more of the normal game, it's like 2 different quality games. These levels aren't that great or particularly fun. Toy Box mode is certainly where it's at and worth buying for this bit alone. Also lasts a long time with lots of things to see, do and collect.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there anything spoilery in the game? Looking to buy this to play with the kids, but haven't seen the movie yet - doesn't open in the UK until next weekend.

Top Bottom