• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tragic death leads family to memoralize son with MW3 urn.

People also don't usually move on to a new sports team every year.

Let alone being buried in a jersey from a team that is only a month old.

People also don't usually have to bury their 18-year-old kid who died a horrible death. Why does it matter that this is the way they choose too remember him?

Loxley

When any of you taking the piss out of his family for getting those MW3 tattoos or the urn lose a member of your family in a such fucking horrifying way in addition losing your house and everything you own, be sure to come back here and remind us how cool you were for not being so "tacky" afterwards.

Pretty sad that some kid dies and his mourning and distraught family grasps at any straw they can muster for comfort, then a bunch of childish shallow dickbeards take the opportunity to mock the poor boy and his family. Pretty damned classless gaf

Tenck

Hey, I'm all for remembering what they loved. But tattooing yourself with a box-art logo seems really tacky to me. Not trying to be a dick, just stating my opinion. I'd say the same thing if someone tattooed the boxart of BF3 or CoD4 or Doom on them to remember a person. Just seems really lame to me.

There is no normal way to mourn about the loss of a loved one. Whatever helps you with the loss is good. Whether it's tacky or not, that shouldn't matter.

Riposte

Pretty sad that some kid dies and his mourning and distraught family grasps at any straw they can muster for comfort, then a bunch of childish shallow dickbeards take the opportunity to mock the poor boy and his family. Pretty damned classless gaf

They must feel so terrible as they read all these posts.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
People also don't usually have to bury their 18-year-old kid who died a horrible death. Why does it matter that this is the way they choose too remember him?

Ask the person who posted the thread. It's the relation to COD that makes it worthy of a thread on NeoGAF, so it has some importance and clearly it was intended to be the subject of discussion, right?

Could they at least have picked something that he liked that wouldn't make his death look old hat in a year?

Like, a SotC urn. That would be... well, maybe not "acceptable," but you know what I'm getting at.

Anyway, what a depressing story. Poor kid.

The tackiest thing in the world.

No, nothing will ever beat the ICP-branded funeral for the child of those two Juggalos. I'm sure someone will post the pictures soon enough.

X26

Banned
They must feel so terrible as they read all these posts.

it's happened before

some random baseball fan on twitter died, someone made a thread, pretty unremarkable

buuuut, apparently the thread was a top search result, and a friend of his made an account and went off on the thread

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
it's happened before

some random baseball fan on twitter died, someone made a thread, pretty unremarkable

buuuut, apparently the thread was a top search result, and a friend of his made an account and went off on the thread

By the time they got their gaf account approved I doubt they'd even be mad anymore

danmaku

Could they at least have picked something that he liked that wouldn't make his death look old hat in a year?

Like, a SotC urn. That would be... well, maybe not "acceptable," but you know what I'm getting at.

Anyway, what a depressing story. Poor kid.

I think his parents didn't know anything about games, they just chose the latest he was playing before dying. From a gamer's perspective it sounds stupid, but I can understand the reasoning behind this. For us MW3 is just corporate brand, for them holds a much deeper meaning.

Zhaanie

Banned
Hey, I'm all for remembering what they loved. But tattooing yourself with a box-art logo seems really tacky to me. Not trying to be a dick, just stating my opinion. I'd say the same thing if someone tattooed the boxart of BF3 or CoD4 or Doom on them to remember a person. Just seems really lame to me.

He was their fucking son, I hardly think they give a shit whether it seems 'tacky' or not.

I think his parents didn't know anything about games, they just chose the latest he was playing before dying. From a gamer's perspective it sounds stupid, but I can understand the reasoning behind this. For us MW3 is just corporate brand, for them holds a much deeper meaning.

You're right, of course. Their choice wasn't for public consumption or appreciation. It was a personal choice that gave them comfort, and it paid tribute to their son through something he loved. That's really all that matters.

He was their fucking son, I hardly think they give a shit whether it seems 'tacky' or not.

Plus, a Doom tattoo wouldn't be that bad. Doom is a fucking classic!

UraMallas

In memory we should change CoD to CoDy

THAT would've been a really good tattoo, I think.

I could see that.

Dunan

I think that family did a great thing. If CoD was the kid's main hobby, and it's one of the things binding him and his friends together, then what better way to get his friends and family to come together and remember him.

I was on the track team in high school and would feel honored if the other guys on the team buried me with a pair of running shoes or something like that. I play baseball now and would be honored if the team I play on bronzed a bat or ball to put on my grave. Call of Duty was his sport -- let it be the thing that goes with him to wherever it is we go when our lives end.

If any of my friends or family wanted to get a Saints Row tattoo after I die, to remember me, I'd be cool with that. Something tasteful like the SRTT crest or a fleur de lis.

Pyrrhus

They're obviously free to do whatever they need to do to work through the grief. I think what's making people cock an eyebrow is the juxtaposition of the eternal and something so completely transitory and disposable as this 9 month cycle's flavor of Call of Duty. But again, whatever makes the tragedy a little easier for them to bear.

.la1n

I want to be buried in a Persona Coffin.

let-me-love-you.gif

jcm

They're obviously free to do whatever they need to do to work through the grief. I think what's making people cock an eyebrow is the juxtaposition of the eternal and something so completely transitory and disposable as this 9 month cycle's flavor of Call of Duty. But again, whatever makes the tragedy a little easier for them to bear.

Yes, they should have gone with something that lasts forever, like a bouquet of flowers.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
RIP, if it works to deal with it, it's good

could've had better taste

http://i.imgur.com/gj7rV.jpg[img]

[spoiler]RIP[/spoiler][/QUOTE]This reminds me to alter my will so someone puts a PS Vita with a few batteries in my coffin, always had that nasty fear of waking up but this'll entertain me at least

Top Bottom