• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer: Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia – Two Armies

kyan_hexagon

Neo Member
I wonder if they'll bring this to the Switch at any point. I'd really like a Fire Emblem game for it and I don't want to carry around my 3DS anymore.

"The pillars of modern warfare such as paired units and predictable archers have no place in Valentia"

Hahaha, yes. That's good.

kyan_hexagon

Neo Member
They are already making a Fire Emblem for the Switch and it is set to release next year.

Right, I was just hoping for something sooner. I wish they would focus on the switch instead of splitting between the 3DS and the Switch. They fill the same niche and compete with each other.

jnWake

Trailer looks really good. Nice graphics for the game.

I'm excited about OP archers. I love the archer class but they tend to be not that good in most FE games.

Femto.

Right, I was just hoping for something sooner. I wish they would focus on the switch instead of splitting between the 3DS and the Switch. They fill the same niche and compete with each other.
The install base is much bigger on the 3DS and Nintendo can't keep up with the demand for the Switch (for now). So it makes sense that they'd still want release another entry from one of their popular IPs on that platform in the meantime.

McNum

"The pillars of modern warfare such as paired units and predictable archers have no place in Valentia"

Hahaha, yes. That's good.
Yes. CPU archers are going to be a nightmare... but then again, playable ones are going to be awesome. I hope.

I take it flying units are still weak to arrows?

Dark_castle

No pair up mechanics, heck yes. I'm also liking that the story takes perspective of two separate lords. Reminds me of FE7 and FE10.

Shifty1897

I don't get the useless archer comments, Mozu and Takumi absolutely wrecked people in FE Fates.

And Takumi is still wrecking people in FE Heroes...

I don't get the useless archer comments, Mozu and Takumi absolutely wrecked people in FE Fates.

Takumi is among the rare exceptions in Fire Emblem. He is almost too OP as a unit in general. Majority of the time archers are not that great and take quite a bit of time to train up properly.

niles and nina are also pretty good.

strangely the game did not have any warriors which are also pretty good bow users imho
Takumi is among the rare exceptions in Fire Emblem. He is almost too OP as a unit in general. Majority of the time archers are not that great and take quite a bit of time to train up properly.

i raise you shinon. another OP unit.

kswiston

i raise you shinon. another OP unit.

I was going to mention him. Ike's whole squad was pretty overpowered in Radiant Dawn.

EDIT: It felt like going between hard mode during the Micaiah chapters to getting the invincibility leaf from 3D Land in the Ike chapters.

Thud

It's really well done. Glad this small title is still getting a firm push. To me it speaks volumes that Fire Emblem as a whole is growing and efforts are more serious at least in terms of marketing.

Useful archers, in my Fire Emblem?!

I think that's more a thing of gaiden. As archers had plenty of health to take hits and still counter attack.

Besides reverting to an older weapon triangle makes sure that archers are a bit more neutral.

No pair up mechanics, heck yes. I'm also liking that the story takes perspective of two separate lords. Reminds me of FE7 and FE10.

Gaiden was pretty interesting in that there was an overworld map but you played both armies. Think of it like FE8 but you played both sides instead of one than FE10.

I think the addition that I like most is the time being made explicit for moving about the map. People had an issue with time being irrelevant to the games with world maps but that isn't an issue here.

Also this isn't in the trailer but FE has finally ripped off the Chariot System from Tactics Ogre for this game it seems.

Looks like they're switching up the formula a bit. Archers will be deadly, and no more pairing.

A good change I think. Glad they still have a non-permadeath mode.

Looks like they're switching up the formula a bit. Archers will be deadly, and no more pairing.

A good change I think. Glad they still have a non-permadeath mode.

I am concerned that they haven't revealed the return of Lunatic Mode though. There's a hard mode which Gaiden Lacked but I still want the nonsense of Lunatic.

PK Gaming

Haha

Also archers are traditionally pretty bad, yes. Even Takumi only ends up being "good" in FE:Fates due to their limited utility on enemy phase. Having them counterattack at point blank range should be interesting...

I didn't mind how they did pair up in Fates since it fixed most of the issues I had with that mechanic in Awakening, but I don't mind it being gone. The thing about archers and their expanded range seems great, but I'm probably going to be more weary about enemy archers in my playthrough than I was in other FEs. It seems Phoenix Mode isn't in this game either, going off this video.

Sounds really great so far and I can't wait for this!

brinstar

Damn this game looks great, I still have to finish Fates but I'll definitely be there for this.

Do previous FE amiibos work with it too?

RM8

Still no marriage/children to be seen.

2110498sgf9d9plap.gif

Damn this game looks great, I still have to finish Fates but I'll definitely be there for this.

They have not stated if there is actual amiibo functionality at all. There is just the Alm and Celica amiibo you can buy.

kswiston

Still no marriage/children to be seen.

2110498sgf9d9plap.gif

I doubt that children were ever on the table for this game. You would have to completely rebalance the entire game for them, including the number of maps. I'm sure that couple endings will show up, even if you aren't explicitly trying to marry everyone. Fans have always liked those.

Haha

Also archers are traditionally pretty bad, yes. Even Takumi only ends up being "good" in FE:Fates due to their limited utility on enemy phase. Having them counterattack at point blank range should be interesting...

How are the DEF/RES stats on Gaiden archers?

Shiggy

In addition, amiibo (sold separately) of Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and even the upcoming Corrin amiibo can be used to summon an Illusory Hero of that character, allowing players to seek assistance from spectral visages. All other currently available amiibo are also compatible, and will summon an additional monster to the battleground to assist players on the battlefield, proving some much needed help in case of a strategic emergency.

They have not stated if there is actual amiibo functionality at all. There is just the Alm and Celica amiibo you can buy.

Not really...

Alm and Celica amiibo figures: these amiibo will each activate their own exclusive dungeon, allowing heroes to earn items and level up their armies further by defeating bosses.

By selecting Mila's Turnwheel from the menu on the overworld map, players will also be able to activate their Alm and Celica amiibo (sold separately or as part of the Limited Edition) to use in battle. During combat, players can sacrifice a portion of Alm or Celica's health in order to summon a computer-controlled Illusory Hero, which will act as a temporary ally for a single turn. As Alm and Celica get stronger, their stats can be saved to their respective amiibo, allowing their Phantom Helper to grow in strength alongside them.

It has to live up to New Mystery which is an incredible remake with incredible content and some of the tightest design in the series.
It looks better than New Mystery to me, though I did like New Mystery. Shadow Dragon was such a dud though, they seem to be fleshing out the narrative and characters to modern FE standards, which is nice.

Astral Dog

I wonder if they'll bring this to the Switch at any point. I'd really like a Fire Emblem game for it and I don't want to carry around my 3DS anymore.
Nah it looks pretty ugly for the Switch.wont look good to new owners.

What we need is some HD FE love on the Switch

Good archers? I'll believe it when I see it. Takumi is the only amazingarcher in the history of FE and that's because they made him overpowered in both Heroes and Fates.

Good archers? I'll believe it when I see it. Takumi is the only amazingarcher in the history of FE and that's because they made him overpowered in both Heroes and Fates.

Shinon in the Tellius games was a really great archer. I'd say Rolf could be great, but you needed to level him up a lot.

Looks really good.

IS likes to play around with the two army-separate story line aspect a lot.

RD
Sacred Stones
Fates (although I felt it was poorly done here)

Game looks good but the cutscenes look really rough.

I'm not a fan of this style of animation. Khara's a great studio but Awakening and Fates have some of the best realizations of CG characters for a Japanese artstyle because they didn't opt for a jerky sort of animation in 3D. That being said, the character designs have transitioned surprisingly well to 3D especially Celica who looks excellent.

I'm not a fan of this style of animation. Khara's a great studio but Awakening and Fates have some of the best realizations of CG characters for a Japanese artstyle because they didn't opt for a jerky sort of animation in 3D. That being said, the character designs have transitioned surprisingly well to 3D especially Celica who looks excellent.

It just feels low budget. I love the art style but the animation looks very stilted. Awkward movements. Sad to see considering Awakening and Fates (and even Heroes) had incredible CG cutscenes.

Top Bottom