• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "10 Cloverfield Lane" (aka Cloverfield 2) airs before 13 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twitter's blowing up right now. A Bad Robot movie trailer apparently aired before 13 Hours, and it ends with the title 10 Cloverfield Lane. Seems like the Cloverfield sequel is not only happening after all, but has already been made. Coming March

http://collider.com/cloverfield-2-secret-movie-10-cloverfield-lane/

In 2014, news broke that filmmaker Dan Trachtenberg—who helmed the short film Portal: No Escape—would be directing a post-apocalyptic thriller called Valencia (also referred to as The Cellar) for Bad Robot and Paramount Insurge, produced by J.J. Abrams. While it’s true that the film is a post-apocalyptic thriller and was produced by Abrams, it appears that the Star Wars: The Force Awakens director has pulled another fast one on us—the movie’s actual title is 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Yes indeed, it appears as though that long-talked-about sequel to the secretive Abrams-produced 2008 film Cloverfield is not only happening, it’s already in the can. Abrams is taking the exact same marketing approach to this film as he did with Cloverfield, as a Collider reader who caught an east coast screening of Paramount’s 13 Hours hipped us to the news that the teaser trailer for 10 Cloverfield Lane is attached to Michael Bay’s Benghazi film. Surprise!

The film stars John Goodman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and John Gallagher, Jr. and, per our reader has a “very creepy trailer that starts out fun but then gets really dark.” We previously spoke with Winstead when she was promoting her indie Faults, and she told us the film revolves around a woman who wakes up in a cellar where she’s being kept by a stranger, played by Goodman. The actress previously elaborated a bit on the plot by saying the following:

“He tells me that basically the world is over outside because there’s been a nuclear fall-out. It does have similarity to Faults, in some ways, because you don’t know who’s telling the truth or who to believe. There’s a lot of, who’s manipulating who, and all of that. Tonally, it’s very different, but it has some of those same themes.”

Luckily, we don’t have to wait long at all to see the film. 10 Cloverfield Lane is set to hit theaters on March 11th.

Abrams said:
“The idea came up a long time ago during production. We wanted to make it a blood relative of Cloverfield. The idea was developed over time. We wanted to hold back the title for as long as possible.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zcRjSaGU-0 (Review of the trailer from a fan)

Description of trailer from reddit

it was 3 people in a bunker playing card games and board games
girl goes crazy or some shit cause she's bored
tries to break out of the bunker
fat guy tries to stop her, telling her not to open the door
cue eerie blue light
CLOVERFIELD

It was John Goodman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and John Gallagher Jr. in an underground home bunker. Pretty eerie atmosphere and no dialogue at all until Winstead walks up some stairs and Goodman starts yelling, "Don't open that door!" Then the title "10 Cloverfield Lane" comes up.

http://youtu.be/yQy-ANhnUpE

10-Cloverfield-Lane-700x1037.jpg

MattyG

Banned
Not confirmed to be Cloverfield 2. The name would seem to indicate that, but Peter at Slashfilm said he had heard it was an original film.

BUT HOLY SHIT I ADORE CLOVERFIELD SO IF THIS IS TRUE HOLY SHIT.

I'll pass. Cloverfield was just so-so. It was the poster child of people doing dumb, illogical, unlikely shit for the sake of progressing the plot and introducing drama and tension

WHAT THE FUCK.

JJ YOU ABSOLUTE MADMAN.

I'M NOW GOING TO SEE THIS MOVIE PURELY BASED OFF HOW IMPRESSED I AM BY THEM PULLING THIS SHIT OFF.

Grisby

Hope the boyfriend has to rescue the girlfriend who's in another slanted big apartment building. Only this time it should have more Resistance monsters surrounding it.

And he needs a space pistol.

Haines

Banned
Nicccceeeee

I went day 1 to cloverfield. Saw it in theatre and never watched it again bc it was an expereince i did t want to taint.

I will follow this and do the same.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Stop naming movies after a Los Angeles street. Abrams has no creativity.

I'll pass. Cloverfield was just so-so. It was the poster child of people doing dumb, illogical, unlikely shit for the sake of progressing the plot and introducing drama and tension
Yup, Cloverfield was trash. Awful found footage nonsense and a bunch of pseudo-yuppy mouthbreathers who couldn't die fast enough.

JCX

Wow this is a surprise. I saw the original before release at an on campus event. Security was way tight because they didn't want pics of the monster to get out.

I hope it's more than just someone being kept in a basement if it has Cloverfield in the title, needs to have monster

Well, the pitch says it revolves around a doomsday prepper (John Goodman) and Mary Elizabeth Winstead in a cellar, as the prepper claims he saved her from a "chemical attack" (read: giant-ass kaiju wrecking shit).

So, I want to believe the kaiju is in it and this revolves around that unexplored segment of monster movies: what happens after the monster wrecks shit and what happens to the people in that scenario?

Well, the pitch says it revolves around a doomsday prepper (John Goodman) and Mary Elizabeth Winstead in a cellar, as the prepper claims he saved her from a "chemical attack" (read: giant-ass kaiju wrecking shit).

So, I want to believe the kaiju is in it and this revolves around that unexplored segment of monster movies: what happens after the monster wrecks shit and what happens to the people in that scenario?

Perhaps.....and then the monster comes and eats them and then a satellite drops on it's head

This might be good. The ARG and backstory they were screwing with was more interesting to me than the actual movie. If they do something with the story, I'm in.

Enk

makes good threads.
I've been wondering what Dan Trachtenberg has been up to since Totally Rad Show ended and things went quiet on Y: The Last Man. Looking forward to seeing his big directorial debut.

Hatchtag

Banned
dude couldn't hide how mark hamill looked in star wars
when he was in it for not even a minute
but made a whole fucking movie sequel in secret?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom