• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Traveling to Japan! Help! (New Year)

Shiggy

I'm going to travel to Tokyo over New Year and I'd also like to visit Kyoto. Apparently, train tickets cannot be bought online. Therefore I'd like to ask whether they are likely to be sold out for Jan 2/3 due to holidays. Is there any other way to buy them? The weekly pass is much more costly and is not really worth it.

Thanks!

Edit: Wrong forum...

Sage00

Once And Future Member
The weekly pass is much more costly and is not really worth it.
You're kidding, right? The 7 day JR Pass is about the same price as a return ticket to Kyoto from inside Japan. It's a steal.

They won't be sold out but reserved seating probably will be. Make sure you get there early if you don't want to stand for 2 hours!

Shiggy

You're kidding, right? The 7 day JR Pass is about the same price as a return ticket to Kyoto from inside Japan. It's a steal.

They won't be sold out but reserved seating probably will be. Make sure you get there early if you don't want to stand for 2 hours!

Is it cheaper to buy the 7 day pass than to buy a single ticket from Tokyo to Kyoto? I'm not sure whether we need any other tickets, but probably not.

Thanks for the info about the reserved seats!

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Is it cheaper to buy the 7 day pass than to buy a single ticket from Tokyo to Kyoto? I'm not sure whether we need any other tickets, but probably not.

Thanks for the info about the reserved seats!
I think maybe you'll actually be better off without it if you use the shinkansen only once from Kyoto/Tokyo (It's a little over half the price of a 7 day pass).

The point of the pass is really to encourage people to travel outside of Tokyo and Kyoto. Usually it'd cost over 300,000 yen to see 3 major cities in Japan (say Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima), the pass gives you it for 280,000 so you save 20,000. If you want to see 4 cities that's another 120,000 usually, but the pass price remains the same so you save 140,000 and so on.

But again if you just stick to those locations it's probably not worth it.

Milamber

I'm planning to go to Tokyo this spring (March~April) for around 7~10 days & will be staying/visiting only around the big 4 (Akihabara, Shinjuku, Shibuya & Chiyoda).

Is there any good Tokyo offline maps for iOS US Store that I can use? Preferably one's with a working GPS & location tagging for stores of interest. Updated train guide to get to those places would be great too.

Go! Tokyo looks like it fits but the train info is quite old now as there are new lines added since its last update of July 2010, also no location tagging.

I'm planning to go to Tokyo this spring (March~April) for around 7~10 days & will be staying/visiting only around the big 4 (Akihabara, Shinjuku, Shibuya & Chiyoda).

Is there any good Tokyo offline maps for iOS US Store that I can use? Preferably one's with a working GPS & location tagging for stores of interest. Updated train guide to get to those places would be great too.

Go! Tokyo looks like it fits but the train info is quite old now as there are new lines added since its last update of July 2010, also no location tagging.

I'd take a look at CityMaps2Go. I used OfflineMaps back in 2010, but it looks like it's pretty dated now. The Tokyo Metro app may help with the rail lines in Tokyo too.

Top Bottom