• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Evolution |OT| ROCK'N'ROLL TRIALS STYLE BABY

Analog. It's the main reason I could never see this game coming back to PC. Some tracks would be impossible to play otherwise.

I've seen people wanting Vita ports, but for this reason it'd be useless on that and on PS3 as well, it's really only the 360 that this can work on.

whitehawk

Banned
I've seen people wanting Vita ports, but for this reason it'd be useless on that and on PS3 as well, it's really only the 360 that this can work on.
A vita port could work, but the tracks would have to be designed specifically for buttons. Extreme tracks would really be possible, it would have to be all beginner to medium tracks.

Also there is a trials game coming to vita, but it's not from redlynx. It's called Urban Trials.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A vita port could work, but the tracks would have to be designed specifically for buttons. Extreme tracks would really be possible, it would have to be all beginner to medium tracks.

Also there is a trials game coming to vita, but it's not from redlynx. It's called Urban Trials.

you can have quite fine grained control with blipping a digital throttle, especially if the response speed is well calibrated.

Is urban trials the ios game?

Now that I think of it, no track in Evolution really has that backing up thing like in Goin Up and Inferno II.

I have no doubt that community tracks will soon be vastly superior to the official tracks. (Not that there aren't a lot of great tracks already in the main game)

robot

Can you unlock more multiplayer tracks? Played a ton of local last night and wish there were more. I guess you can download user made ones but was hoping for more were available.

Any tips on the game? i got all gold on beginner but after that i can barely get a silver.

Like he said, watch the top players a bit. Most people will never get anywhere near as insanely good as them but you can definitely pick up some good ideas on how to land, how to climb boxes, etc. Oh, and JUST KEEP PLAYING. This game is all about practice and just teaching your hands how to control the bike slowly over time.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Had some great GAF 4player supercross multi.

Sorry guys had a crash after playing the custom supercross track.

Was fun! Took me a while to get into the groove of things though.

Game is so good :D Feels a lot different to the previous game as well, which surprised me quite a bit at first.

MMaRsu

Banned
I made a bit of a track so far, real beginner stuff but can someone test it and say what needs improvent etc..?

why couldn't you just use one of the sticks for throttle?

Just because you could, doesn't mean you should! I guess you could do that, but there's no way I could train my thumbs to actually play it well. I've seen similar control schemes in driving games and it doesn't work for me.

Doesn't the PS3 have analog buttons also which could be just as useful.

It has them, but they're dire.

And less off topic, everyone should try Yeti by Corruptedbomb in the custom tracks, it's pretty funny.

acm2000

I actually wish they add that option for this game. It is how I play every driving game with a controller. If the option is given of course!

how on earth do use aceelerate and brake at the same time when using 2nd stick method, not to mention the time you waste flicking the stick from top to bottom, its crap

smr00

Banned
Just keep playing. As you overcome increasingly harder challenges, you'll be able to go back and what seemed difficult previously will be far easier.
Is there anything i should know about braking? and when in the air i tend to always fuck up the landing, should i be gently pushing the analog? i just push back and forward to i think im good on landing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well I havent actually shared it yet because it's not done. I would love a few select people to try it out though.
Make sure you save an extra copy of the map locally before you upload it.. I hear you can't retrieve/edit tracks that you've uploaded. You also can't delete ones you've uploaded I believe.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
There's something you should know about me

I LIKE TRIALS

I LIKE DANGER

:lol what song is this? tried looking on the internet but couldn't find anything...is it just a song for Trials Evolution or is it licensed?

Absinthe

NeoGAF Trials friends list leaderboard 24 hours in:
(sorry for the shitty picture. It's off my phone.)

The goal is in two weeks to take shots of all race and skill games leaderboards. They will be off the first page only, so get a favorite track and get #1 out of all the GAFers! Obviously we will keep these modestly updated as long as there is an interest.

yyR2V.jpg

Edit: The list has only 90 players on it. If you are one of the ten that does not have the game, you will be removed off the friends list this weekend if you still have a score of zero. This will make room for those who were a little late to send requests.

Nice, I'm number 5.

How do I view this list within Trials?

Absinthe

You can't, unfortunately. It's just the friends leaderboard for NeoGAF Trials, and you can only view your own friends leaderboard.

I figured.. Wish I could see the list, or better yet, play against everyone on the list at once.

Dots would be everywhere! :)

It's a me! But I have to be honest, I did get to play the review version a before the launch, so I had a head start.

Nice job. Send me an inv if you have a slot, I like having people that are better than me on the friends list. Gives me someone to catch up to. GT: Abs1nth3

I've got to start working on cracking that top 15.
My problem is always wanting to go full throttle.
My goal last night was to get first on the beginner levels on my friends list. Mission accomplished but I don't think it will last long. At least with those levels I can snag first with as much luck as skill.

Najaf

Is there anything i should know about braking? and when in the air i tend to always fuck up the landing, should i be gently pushing the analog? i just push back and forward to i think im good on landing.

General tips for trials, especially handy for harder tracks.

• Fastest is not always fastest.
    Watch the top replays on the beginner and medium tracks. You will notice that very often people are not hitting jumps at full speed or are arbitrarily breaking when on straight lines. This is to set up a proper approach for an upcoming obstacle or rhythm section. While it sure can be fun to sail off those big jumps, this often eats away at your time. Learn the courses and try to minimize unnecessary air time.
  • Think unicycle.
    Your rear wheel is key. Landing on inclines, try and place your rear wheel down slightly first. This will give you crucial initial control. Popping up onto the front wheel will result in many faults as you will learn. I found thinking of the bike as a unicycle on tougher obstacles back in Trials HD really helped.
  • Rear wheel chirp
    Chirping the rear wheel when you make contact with the ground can help stabilize the bike. Just a quick squeeze of the throttle upon impact can minimize bounce, keeping the energy lateral. (chirp the wheel and you won't crash as much)
  • weight shift
    Mastering weight shifts is really important later on. The tutorials will help with this. Often hitting the timing on rhythm sections requires varying levels of preload and release to clear them. Just think of what happens to the bike. Leaning back slightly compresses the rear shock, and when that is suddenly released, especially when timed with a ramp, there is significantly more pop.
  • don't back up
    When you start getting stuck on harder tracks and have to keep tackling the same obstacle over and over, resist the urge to back up to get more speed. The devs have placed the checkpoints so that you can conquer obstacles from that point, so don't always think more speed will help.
  • brake and gas in the air
    Braking in the air, as with real motorcycles, causes slight forward rotation. Conversely, gas in the air, causes a slight rearward pitch, or at the very least can slow an unwanted forward rotation. This combined with weight shift is an advanced maneuver that comes in handy on the more technical courses.

FinKL

General tips for trials, especially handy for harder tracks.

• Fastest is not always fastest.
    Watch the top replays on the beginner and medium tracks. You will notice that very often people are not hitting jumps at full speed or are arbitrarily breaking when on straight lines. This is to set up a proper approach for an upcoming obstacle or rhythm section. While it sure can be fun to sail off those big jumps, this often eats away at your time. Learn the courses and try to minimize unnecessary air time.
  • Think unicycle.
    Your rear wheel is key. Landing on inclines, try and place your rear wheel down slightly first. This will give you crucial initial control. Popping up onto the front wheel will result in many faults as you will learn. I found thinking of the bike as a unicycle on tougher obstacles back in Trials HD really helped.
  • Rear wheel chirp
    Chirping the rear wheel when you make contact with the ground can help stabilize the bike. Just a quick squeeze of the throttle upon impact can minimize bounce, keeping the energy lateral. (chirp the wheel and you won't crash as much)
  • weight shift
    Mastering weight shifts is really important later on. The tutorials will help with this. Often hitting the timing on rhythm sections requires varying levels of preload and release to clear them. Just think of what happens to the bike. Leaning back slightly compresses the rear shock, and when that is suddenly released, especially when timed with a ramp, there is significantly more pop.
  • don't back up
    When you start getting stuck on harder tracks and have to keep tackling the same obstacle over and over, resist the urge to back up to get more speed. The devs have placed the checkpoints so that you can conquer obstacles from that point, so don't always think more speed will help.
  • brake and gas in the air
    Braking in the air, as with real motorcycles, causes slight forward rotation. Conversely, gas in the air, causes a slight rearward pitch, or at the very least can slow an unwanted forward rotation. This combined with weight shift is an advanced maneuver that comes in handy on the more technical courses.

Didn't know most of these, should help later when I try to gold star most these tracks. Thx for the tips!

Najaf

Also, I learned this morning that you're not supposed to accelerate down steep hills. My mind was blown.

I've been playing Trials wrong for three years.

Yes, 'coasting' will let you go faster on long downhill sections than just full throttle would allow. Sometimes this is not best though. For instance, in HD, coasting could cause the bike to go so fast that when it transitioned to flat at the base of the hill, the 'pressure' to the bike's suspension would mirror that of a long drop and cause the bike to explode/break. The devs did say in an interview some time ago that coasting is beneficial in certain tracks in evo.

Daigoro

yeah some of the dark tracks can be annoying. ive lost track of my riders position a few times when hitting some really dark patches.

It's a me! But I have to be honest, I did get to play the review version a before the launch, so I had a head start.

thats cool. nice riding!

atomsk

Party Pooper
NeoGAF Trials friends list leaderboard 24 hours in:
(sorry for the shitty picture. It's off my phone.)

nice to see I stayed in the top 1k overnight somehow (was like 585 last night), but mannn that's not gonna last when people really dig into the game

pretty sure only reason I got that high is I played most of the tournaments last night, almost nobody is doing those yet

I'm around 12-14k in HD, I cracked 10k once and then got lazy

MMaRsu

Banned
I uploaded my first track: its called bumpy tunnels and its an easy track with not much to worry about. A looping and some cavern stuff. I hope people here like it. Even though im not that familiar with the editor yet i cant wait to make more intricate stuff.

I love my girlfriend to death but I'm secretly counting down the hours until she has to go to work today so I can play more of this game... am I a bad person? :)

Drats! I need 810 Microsoft Points before I can buy this game! Now I have to purchase 1200 points and still retain my leftovers. Looks like the system is working as intended; it's too bad it screws over the end user. :/

In any case, I'm really looking forward to buying the game. I love Trials!

Top Bottom