• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Evolution |OT| ROCK'N'ROLL TRIALS STYLE BABY

Jesus christ, just took a look in the Red lynx picks of track central ... OMG.

So many good user created tracks my mind is blown. Game of forever!

I said it earlier (on this page even), but just for sheer technical fun, the Step Up skill game is my favorite thing they've featured so far.

The silhouette level is pretty spectacular too.

MMaRsu

Banned
the basic idea of Trials is a 2D game getting from A to B. The curved racing lines are hard enough to deal with if people use them wrong (which is most people except Red Lynx at this point) but things get especially annoying when the camera is moved off the racing line and placed above, behind, below or in-front of you.

I've yet to actually see a custom track use this feature in a good way. I just downloaded 5 new tracks and they all moved the camera in some stupid arty way which just broke the track. rated 0 stars and deleted.

Hmm okay, well if only I could score another 48hr gold card* I would love to let you test my new level in MP this weekend or any other gaf users for that matter because in my new track there are only a few custom camera's ( i'm talking like literally two ) but there are plenty of curved lines. It's difficult enough to create something amazing around the existing enviroment, but to just create something that goes in a straight line and then placing enviroments and objects around that is even harder I imagine, thank fuck I havent done that lol. In an empty warehouse it's easy though.

*wink wink, nudge nudge

Hey guys i uploaded my first test track, its 80% finished technically and like 10% cosmetically.

Track name is "Sorry about stairs"
Username is ST6 Rawker

Let Me know what you think so far, its pretty hard for me and i can gold hard tracks. Im going to try and finish it off technically and then dress it up to look pretty but just need some feedback.

Thanks and good luck

I will download it right now man! Can you upload tracks, then delete them and reupload a newer version? I havent put up any tracks of works in progress.

whitehawk

Banned
Should've been one of those obvious things.

I hope they also begin to let you delete tracks.
They shouldn't let you delete tracks, and they won't. Let's say I want to play a custom track I downloaded with a friend. He doesn't have it so he has to download it from the servers. But if the creator deletes it, then we can't play it together.

At the very least let people 'delete' the track, but actually keep the data on the server.

MMaRsu

Banned
Immersion on a track just ends up making me like it less.

Honestly how does that make any sense?

4man9ub.gif

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Honestly how does that make any sense?

4man9ub.gif

Because a lot of times (especially in custom tracks) attempts at increasing immersion just leads to getting in the way of the actual track. I would rather have a generic track motif with great layout than a super elaborate track motif that sometimes gets in the way of the race. That is why I don't like the Silhouette level that everybody else seems to love.

see5harp

i do agree that a level needs to be crystal clear in what needs to be done (or at least prioritize that). I don't mind a change in camera angle here or there, but it should not be in a place that has an obstacle directly before or after (even a couple Red Lynx levels do this and the first or second time playing it screwed me up).

MMarsu: in regards to your level, I like it overall but I do agree that in that final section you need a checkpoint after that really steep obstacle before the finish line.

Yes, the Silhouette level was a cool idea but not a good track to PLAY.

In the editor, do you have to work with the terrain provided in the map, or can you mold the landscape itself (Sim City style)? I would like to build some kind of dreamscape with nothing but platforms floating in nothinness (there was a track like this in the HD DLC).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They shouldn't let you delete tracks, and they won't. Let's say I want to play a custom track I downloaded with a friend. He doesn't have it so he has to download it from the servers. But if the creator deletes it, then we can't play it together.

At the very least let people 'delete' the track, but actually keep the data on the server.

Fair point, but I wish at least we'd be able to redirect to updates. Which is a bit complicated for simple old Track Central, I know. But in stuff like Bungie.net it's much easier to delete and replace. The leaderboard issue is one that is one they're mindful of, understandably.

Guess beta testing has to be done through custom lobbies exclusively.

MMaRsu

Banned
i do agree that a level needs to be crystal clear in what needs to be done (or at least prioritize that). I don't mind a change in camera angle here or there, but it should not be in a place that has an obstacle directly before or after (even a couple Red Lynx levels do this and the first or second time playing it screwed me up).

MMarsu: in regards to your level, I like it overall but I do agree that in that final section you need a checkpoint after that really steep obstacle before the finish line.

Oh yeah I know man, I should have put something there you're right but really it's not that hard to get over all objects on my course :p.

I didn't have any chance to beta test it either, so I just created it, ran it myself and hoped for the best. I felt it was a good enough track overall to try out the waters with for custom tracks editing for me. I think my next track will be enjoyed much more and by many more people!

MMaRsu

Banned
Yes, the Silhouette level was a cool idea but not a good track to PLAY.

In the editor, do you have to work with the terrain provided in the map, or can you mold the landscape itself (Sim City style)? I would like to build some kind of dreamscape with nothing but platforms floating in nothinness (there was a track like this in the HD DLC).

Wtf..there was a track like that in the HD Dlc??? They stole my idea? lol.. I made a custom track for Trials HD actually called Dreamscape V2 a long ass time ago, and I was already making a Dreamscape V3 on Trials Evolution as a possible third track..

-_-

Not shitting you, go download my dreamscape V2 from Trials HD. I already have a fair part of Dreamscape V3 ready as well. Yes it's possible to do this, just make a track high up in the air with a lot of fog, but it looks worse than in HD because there is like a weird blurry shadow cast around everything, so it looks very clean in HD but I havent been able to replicate the same look as in HD Dreamscape V2.

MMaRsu

Banned
Hey guys i uploaded my first test track, its 80% finished technically and like 10% cosmetically.

Track name is "Sorry about stairs"
Username is ST6 Rawker

Let Me know what you think so far, its pretty hard for me and i can gold hard tracks. Im going to try and finish it off technically and then dress it up to look pretty but just need some feedback.

Thanks and good luck

Fuck sorry man but I really didnt enjoy this track. There are plenty of mistakes so far to be honest with you. There are no driving lines to be spotted as far as I saw, and that is basically you want to put in that right away..

Then there are way too many moments when it's not clear on where you are going. Let's not talk about the jump you have to make onto the overpass, the fucking stairs with the pipe on it, and the building after that which totally obscures your view.

Don't get me wrong there is a lot of good in this track also, and I think that if you changed some of these elements just slightly it will flow much better and still feel like a good hard track, it just doesnt feel very fair to me right now. You can check out my replay lol.... Although I did press the BACK button once out of frustration, and on that run I already had over a 100 faults...

Keep working man, you've got some good ideas man :).

At least I cleared it, I just pushed myself through it.. because hey at least you'll be able to see my replay :).

Rawker

Fuck sorry man but I really didnt enjoy this track. There are plenty of mistakes so far to be honest with you. There are no driving lines to be spotted as far as I saw, and that is basically you want to put in that right away..

Then there are way too many moments when it's not clear on where you are going. Let's not talk about the jump you have to make onto the overpass, the fucking stairs with the pipe on it, and the building after that which totally obscures your view.

Don't get me wrong there is a lot of good in this track also, and I think that if you changed some of these elements just slightly it will flow much better and still feel like a good hard track, it just doesnt feel very fair to me right now. You can check out my replay lol.... Although I did press the BACK button once out of frustration, and on that run I already had over a 100 faults...

Keep working man, you've got some good ideas man :).

At least I cleared it, I just pushed myself through it.. because hey at least you'll be able to see my replay :).

Thanks for playing it. I dont know how to do driving lines but ill look into it. I havent spent any time making it look good ive just spent a ton of time trying to make it hard.

whitehawk

Banned
Wtf..there was a track like that in the HD Dlc??? They stole my idea? lol.. I made a custom track for Trials HD actually called Dreamscape V2 a long ass time ago, and I was already making a Dreamscape V3 on Trials Evolution as a possible third track..

-_-

Not shitting you, go download my dreamscape V2 from Trials HD. I already have a fair part of Dreamscape V3 ready as well. Yes it's possible to do this, just make a track high up in the air with a lot of fog, but it looks worse than in HD because there is like a weird blurry shadow cast around everything, so it looks very clean in HD but I havent been able to replicate the same look as in HD Dreamscape V2.
Dude, it was even called dreamscape. And it wasn't even DLC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZChxYfjk6iI

Oh wow, the Super Mario track is wonderful. Camera is horrible in places and the clouds are just made from the same things the bushes are made from and recoloured, but I can forgive it for the epic ending. It's in RedLynx picks

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Oh wow, the Super Mario track is wonderful. Camera is horrible in places and the clouds are just made from the same things the bushes are made from and recoloured, but I can forgive it for the epic ending. It's in RedLynx picks

Sounds like they wanted to be accurate if the clouds are just recolored bushes.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
any good user created tracks epic in length that arent too difficult? basically, homebrew gigatracks?

Hauk

Neo Member

In the Environment sub-menu there is a thingy that can modify the terrain. You just select the type of modifying that you want to do, ie. raise or lower the terrain. I guess that's how The Ascent in the campaign is made. Lots of climbing there.

Wow, how the hell did that Terminator track get five stars? The first half has massive slowdown and the second half is just a total mess of camera angles that make it incredibly difficult to land jumps. What an awful track.

Finally beat those stupid f'n planks on Inferno 3 and finished the track! 357 faults and 19 minutes, but I don't care. It's finished! I think about 200 of those faults came on the barrels I could not get that final push over and 100 on the planks (after thousands on previous runs combined). The rest wasn't too bad at all. Still! It's done, over, and finished.

MMaRsu

Banned
Wow, how the hell did that Terminator track get five stars? The first half has massive slowdown and the second half is just a total mess of camera angles that make it incredibly difficult to land jumps. What an awful track.

Hah indeed, I played that one a little earlier and found it merely worth 3 stars for the effort of creating huge robots and the car scene was ok.

But all the camera angles obscuring everything is garbage, so many weird turns and stuff too.

Yeah, why that is a RedLynx pick is beyond me.

FtHTiny

Finally managed to finish inferno 3. Had 3 max try fails before i managed to pull it off.

And i got platinum on the first tournament with overall rank of 268.
That´s what i call a good evening.

renitou

Are there no additional tracks to unlock for offline multiplayer (beyond downloading custom tracks)? The only ones I'm seeing are easy and beginner tracks.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Ehhh, I just bought a 48hr code off gamecards.eu only to find it won't let me play online. Spose I had better pop to the bank and chuck some coin on my CC. Not really happy, didn't want to buy a large sub.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ehhh, I just bought a 48hr code off gamecards.eu only to find it won't let me play online. Spose I had better pop to the bank and chuck some coin on my CC. Not really happy, didn't want to buy a large sub.

Well I had that problem, I had to wait like an hour or two or something before I could play with the 48 hour card.. :)

Overdoziz

Banned
The water jets on Sewage Plant are the most inconsistent pieces of shit in the game.

Edit: I did just get Platinum and the 309th place on it, though. :D

atomsk

Party Pooper
...the parts I need to fix my 360 are listed as "delivered" and I've been here all day.

Which means SOMEONE SOMEWHERE signed for them... of all the fucking things

I NEEDS MY FIX

=(

sneaky77

...the parts I need to fix my 360 are listed as "delivered" and I've been here all day.

Which means SOMEONE SOMEWHERE signed for them... of all the fucking things

I NEEDS MY FIX

=(

You sure they didn't just leave the package outside? cause UPS does that in my area even if I am home

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Seems like if a downloaded track allows the last bike you can play using it even if you don't have it unlocked. Awesome. No one tell RedLynx.

Overdoziz

Banned
Seems like if a downloaded track allows the last bike you can play using it even if you don't have it unlocked. Awesome. No one tell RedLynx.
Pretty sure that's intentional. It would suck if you couldn't play a custom track if you haven't unlock a certain bike yet. It's not you can then use that bike (that you haven't officially unlocked yet) in single player right?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pretty sure that's intentional. It would suck if you couldn't play a custom track if you haven't unlock a certain bike yet. It's not you can then use that bike (that you haven't officially unlocked yet) in single player right?
IIRC, early on when I didn't have the Phoenix yet it wouldn't let me play Phoenix-only tracks. Showed up as locked.

Thatoneguy

Neo Member

I noticed the faults on T2 the second time around, and I don't like the camera angle at the end, but I enjoyed the atmosphere. So much of that is ripped from the movie, especially the 18 wheeler chase. That's why I consider it a good track.

I noticed the faults on T2 the second time around, and I don't like the camera angle at the end, but I enjoyed the atmosphere. So much of that is ripped from the movie, especially the 18 wheeler chase. That's why I consider it a good track.

Yeah, I like the theme and there's some nice set-pieces, but it has the balance between set-pieces and playability totally wrong, it's just not fun to ride. The first half I could hardly see and what I could see was running at half the speed it should have been. The second half I couldn't judge any of my jumps and had to hope for the best every time. Trials is absolutely NOT a game where you should be hoping for the best. It's a bad track, but it would be so easy to make it brilliant.

1) Less explosions at the start killing the framerate
2) If the player is jumping, SIDE ON CAMERA FFS.

sneaky77

Yeah, I like the theme and there's some nice set-pieces, but it has the balance between set-pieces and playability totally wrong, it's just not fun to ride. The first half I could hardly see and what I could see was running at half the speed it should have been. The second half I couldn't judge any of my jumps and had to hope for the best every time. Trials is absolutely NOT a game where you should be hoping for the best. It's a bad track, but it would be so easy to make it brilliant.

1) Less explosions at the start killing the framerate
2) If the player is jumping, SIDE ON CAMERA FFS.

I didn't have an issue with the beginning but yeah that last jump off the bridge took me a few tries to land it..

The silhoutte track is frigging amazing, hard as shit, but whoever came up with that.. wow.

Top Bottom