• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tropico 5 |OT| Top Banana Republic Man

r3n4ud

Hi folks. Having a really hard time with the MAD mission.
I keep running out time before I can build a nuclear program
. I have no idea why though. I complete the tasks to increase how many months I have, but I still come up short. Any idea what I can do to increase my time or speed up the research?

Edit: Ah, figured it out! If anyone else has a tough time with this one, I
built four libraries to speed up research
. Might has been overkill, but I finally did it!

Moonstone

Game is pretty successful. Kalypso had a press release in german. They said it sold "deutlich sechstellig", which means "noticeably six-digits". More than a milllion.

Jintor

how is the traffic in tropico5? i almost quit tropico 4 because of it

Better but not great until you hit the modern era when you can finally build decent public transport (teleporter-metros) to lighten the burden. You still need to avoid bottlenecks if possible

ShinZed

Quite enjoying the new Tropico. Was disappointed at first about the building diversity but eh like they said they have remade everything for this one, but the new trade system and era progression are growing on me.

Main thing that still niggles me is how pants the Almanac is compared to T4, even finding out the price of goods you're trading is a pain in the ass (and I don't even know if you can find out the price of stuff BEFORE you start trading it). Some radius markers for building effects would be nice too. Is my ranch close enough to my farms to make it worth building the +farm effect upgrade? No way to know apart from to build it.

The campaign sending you back to cities you've built previously is a good idea too. I just wish they'd mention it at the start. Campaign cities in T4 tended to be pretty haphazard 'cos you throw them together to get the mission done and you know you'll never see them again. :p

Authority

Banned
hCn38H1.png

These people can't review for shit. I give up.

saunderez

hCn38H1.png

These people can't review for shit. I give up.
Why even bother, they're a bunch of grandstanding attention seekers. I refuse to even give them page impressions let alone ad revenue these days, if I must read a Polygon article it's Google cache all the way.

Shahadan

If anyone here have bought from Nuuvem, they didn't manage to get steam keys from Kalypso, so you can now ask for either a refund or get Tropico 4 Collectors Bundle. They also said you can ask for a coupon for any other game instead and they'll see what they can do.

Calibus

Ok this is ticking me off -- bought Tropico 5, made sure I had DirectX11, up-to-date GPU drivers and met required specs (I exceed them actually).

At some point only a few minutes into the game (either the Tutorial or the Campaign) the screen goes black, sounds stutters on an endless loop and locks up my computer forcing a hard boot.

I've searched and haven't been able to find a clear resolution other than "wait for a patch." Has anyone else experienced this and found a fix?

pilonv1

New patch, some new sandbox maps

• Added 3 new maps: Isla de Tucan, Dos Rios, Santa Teresa
• Added 6 new dynasty member costumes: Angel (female), Devil (female), Steampunk (female), Uncle Pedro (male), Napoleon (male), Steampunk (male)
• Multiplayer: Game checks for modified user files before launch
• Fixed issue with trade route contracts expiring
• Fixed issue with performance of service buildings
• Fixed issue with rebuild construction feature not working properly
• Fixed indestructible trees left in the vicinity of a destroyed logging camp

Nice to see them adding things I expected to be DLC

So I never played a Tropico game before. I was looking for a fun city building game after trying out Banished and finding out "hey, this is actually kind of fun."

I love Tropico 5 so far. I really dig the music and the overall presentation.

Freeman

Banned
I was in the mood of playing a game where you build/manage a city an I decided to give Tropico 5 a try.

I couldn't have being more disappointed. The game has a terrible user interface (I couldn't even find the pause/unpause button nor how to upgrade similar building without having to click on by one ), it doesn't allow you to change between different sub-menus unless you close the one you are in (killing the fluidity of the game), building roads is a pain, the game is terrible at displaying key information, has an awful implementation of combat that ruins the game and it shows prompts for a controller even when I disconnect my game pad and disable it in the options. It is a shame that the game fails at such basic things, since it has some very good ideas that I don't remember being part of previous Tropico games.

Sim City 2013 also didn't do it for me (even if it was more enjoyable than Tropico). Any suggestions to scratch this itch?

Either my memory is failing me or this genre use to be much more satisfying.

hythloday

Either my memory is failing me or this genre use to be much more satisfying.

I don't think your memory's failing you. There were a lot of really good city builders in past years (the Caesar series, Emperor, Zeus/Poseidon) but they are few and far between now. Tropico 5 really didn't hook me like I had hoped it would. It felt like I was just playing the same game but with updated graphics (and without some buildings that existed in previous editions). The only game that's come out so far that's really scratched that city building itch for me has been Banished.

Raoh

Played the Demo the other day on PS4, checked for a retail copy but couldn't find one and then noticed PSN has it on sale.
Bought it and damn is this game good, can't believe I've been missing out.

So many hidden jokes in the dialogue that can be easily missed. Clever writing.

The Dialogue reminds me of the sillyness of the Just Cause games.

Excellent addition to my collection. Any dlc codes for extra items? Anything I'm missing between the standard PSN version and the limited edition one?

MMaRsu

Banned
Man I am loving the game, did one campaign mission and after winning that went straight into samdbox mode. Im in 1993 now and people are happy and Im mostly trying to build my island with tourism.

Game is awesome

Just got it and I have no idea what I'm doing. Did the tutorial, and then the first mission just kind of threw me into the game without telling me anything at all about what makes a good town. I don't really have much experience with city builders. Just did what the people told me to do and went $10,000 in debt rather quickly and then lost. Not really motivated in trying again since I have absolutley no idea what I'm supposed to do and would just be compeltley guessing and hoping the money randomly goes up for whatever reason. Any tips?

how is the ps4 version?
I've put a few hundred hours into it... for the most part, it's manageable. Frame rate becomes pretty bad once population gets above 1500... and downright horrid once it's over 2000 and you've got a pretty big city (with multiple districts or areas) on a large map. But I've heard even on PC it runs into performance issues once you get a very large and developed island.

(Edit: you can see a frame rate sample here... large island that is fairly developed)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd45dqPGvpM

By and large it's a great little sim but I do think it helps if you like the setting. If you're indifferent to it then I suppose it's an average sim but probably one of the most difficult ones you'd find on a console. Game has a lot of room for management... it's pretty hard to ever just reach a point of cruise control because one area (economy, housing, religion, etc) always seems to be effing up, so it's pretty relentless if you play on a challenging difficulty level and get the full Tropico experience.

I think the game excels more if you like the setting though... I'm pretty fond of the whole plantations -> export raw resources -> value add -> industrialization sort of cycle of the game, and the general Latin American theme. I never really spent much time at modern times... I mostly focus on sugar/tobacco/banana farms -> cigar/rum/steel mill ... and in that regard it's a cool little game if you want a taste of that style of economy/historic period.

It's a decent cold war game too with the... one of the DLCs. Not great but it adds some nice spy/infiltration elements to that time period. Modern times seem a bit plain though: my economy always just turns into a car exporter during the cold war and then maybe electronics during the modern times. I think the earlier periods with all the different types of plantations and mines has better 'economy' variety.

Mindlog

Nicely said Kyan.
There are few other games like it on the platform so it has that going in its favor as well.

Would recommend on PS4.

ty_hot

Does it play fine on the Dualshock? I played and loved Tropico 1 and 2, going back now would be great.

It seems wierd to play a strategy game on the DS, but as its not fast paced (unless they changed a lot in the last games) it should be fine.

edit Bought. hoping it never comes to PS+ :D It costed me only 5 usd (br psn), so its for sure worth it. Also got Game of Thrones Telltale season pass for my gf that is a fan of the series.

It had come to PS+ already once before :p

Game plays well enough on a DS controller. I mean, there can be times where menu navigation is a touch slow but it's still manageable and you get used to it.

Pace of the game doesn't really matter because I would think you would usually pause the passage of time almost any time you're doing anything. There's so much going on and so many things to 'watch' while time passes (different stats ticking up or down; how full or empty each trade ship is; which roads are getting cluttered; if any trade contracts are popping up) that I would never really try build or menu-navigate at the same time :p

Plus the game does have some nice 'world life' (well, it's rather simple but it's still fun to try learn your citizens, and especially your managers... where they live, etc) that if by chance I do have nothing to do while time passes, I'd still pause to build/menu-navigate and use the passage of time to try just appreciate the world life of my island hehe.

ty_hot

It had come to PS+ already once before :p

Game plays well enough on a DS controller. I mean, there can be times where menu navigation is a touch slow but it's still manageable and you get used to it.

Pace of the game doesn't really matter because I would think you would usually pause the passage of time almost any time you're doing anything. There's so much going on and so many things to 'watch' while time passes (different stats ticking up or down; how full or empty each trade ship is; which roads are getting cluttered; if any trade contracts are popping up) that I would never really try build or menu-navigate at the same time :p

Plus the game does have some nice 'world life' (well, it's rather simple but it's still fun to try learn your citizens, and especially your managers... where they live, etc) that if by chance I do have nothing to do while time passes, I'd still pause to build/menu-navigate and use the passage of time to try just appreciate the world life of my island hehe.

I started subscribing last June (bought the PS4 in July), and last year I used the 14 days free PS+ to get MGS (that ended up being ONE single mission long lol). I should have subscribed to PS+ since the PS4 was released because I knew sooner or later I would buy one :p

anyway, now I have the game, gonna give it a try in the future (still need to finish The Last of Us and I am always busy with PES and racing games as well...).

Top Bottom