• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truck plows into market in Berlin killing 12, injuring 48. Suspect shot dead in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensirius

2sGDo9U.png

Police are looking for this man

The BBC has now added a photo

_93067849_036977477-1.jpg

_93068609_berlin_lorryattack_locatormap_photo674_v2.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38392128

They also seem to confirm he was indeed facing deportation. Even worse then that his surveillance until it was carried out wasn't good enough. You corner a terrorist-sympathiser, tell them they are being deported and then let them slip into the shadows? Especially after a counter-terrorism report goes through... Terrible handling by the German government.

Oh wow, first time I see these Amaq msgs in German:

BXmRPXa.png

Pretty unsettling.

Wrong person caught. Perpetrator still at large.

sFSXTUV.png

mIejeq0.png

IkjxuhM.png

Several people have died and many more have been injured as a lorry ploughed into a Christmas market in central Berlin, German media report.
Police now say they suspect it was a deliberate attack. Video footage from the scene shows stalls knocked over and people lying injured on the ground.
The market is at Breitscheidplatz close to the Kurfuerstendamm, the main shopping street in the city's west.
A reporter for the Berliner Morgenpost described a "gruesome scene".

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/810941206876291072

@polizeiberlin:
Wir können 9 Tote & viele Verletzte bestätigen. Viele Kolleg. sind am #Breitscheidplatz im Einsatz um die Hintergründe zu ermitteln.

9 killed.

Driver is on the run according to Bild.

Just saying: The Berliner Morgenpost headlines this video of the aftermath with "Accident", no idea if they know anything:
https://www.facebook.com/morgenpost/videos/10154704796496236/

1482176981247.jpg

Pv9NtYj.png

JustinBB7

Christmas market? Wasn't some 12 year old arrested for trying to bomb a christmas market in Germany like a week ago?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Christmas market? Wasn't some 12 year old arrested for trying to bomb a christmas market in Germany like a week ago?

Yup. Let's wait and see tho. Just as likely to be an old person panicking and hitting gas instead of brake.

Patrick S.

Banned
Fuck these fucking motherfuckers man. I hate this world. My wife is at a Christmas market with her colleagues right now. FUCK THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow that's awful. And why are people jumping to the conclusion that this was terrorism? It could very likely have been an accident.

Audioboxer

No one knows. News is just breaking

Ah okay, I didn't know what was written on that OP link as my google translate was crapping out.

Read online that there are like no roads around, which leads me to think that it's an act of terrorism similar to what happened in France with the truck running over a crowd.

Probably. Such a terrible time of the year, and at a Christmas market. Many kids will be there :(

In saying that Scotland/Glasgow had an accident with a bin lorry killing multiple people around Christmas 2 years ago IIRC. It may well be an accident.

Jezbollah

Fuck these fucking motherfuckers man. I hate this world. My wife is at a Christmas market with her colleagues right now. FUCK THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about waiting to hear a bit more information about the incident before rushing to conclusions?

Palmer_v1

Fuck. I thought for sure this was just an update of some kind about that incident the previous holidays.

As always, I hope casualties aren't bad, and that it's an accident instead of a malicious act.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
There are christmas markets in every city, small town and village this time a year. We know it's a "good target", sadly.

Why would Germany even be targeted ? What's the beef between fundamentalist Islam (if that is what it is) and Germany ?
Germany militarily supports the fight against ISIS and took in a lot of refugees, which they hate.

Dynedom

Jeez. I'll be at that Market in a few days. RIP to the victims. :(

Family became so paranoid about my move to Germany after the summer attacks. This shit isn't going to help with that.

Pluto

I don't think so. Germany is extremely strict with letting old people drive; they have to take frequent tests to not lose their license.
That's not true at all, in fact many people who probably shouldn't drive still do it because there's nothing anyone can do unless they get into an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom