• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - McConaughey/Harrelson crime series - S2 starts June 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
there's still so much stuff I'm behind on or haven't started yet

Seriously. There are so many shows that have aired, are currently airing, or will air in the near future, that I'm having a hard time picking which ones to watch now and which ones to wait on. True Detective is obviously a 'watch now' though.

- Sepinwall Interview: 'True Detective' creator Nic Pizzolatto on Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson his gripping new HBO series
Before creating the new HBO mystery series “True Detective,” Nic Pizzolatto’s only produced scripts were a pair of episodes from “The Killing” season 1. That is not a resume that will generally lead to a writer being given control of an expensive, ambitious series for pay cable’s gold standard, featuring a pair of movie stars in Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, in which he would write all eight episodes himself.

But “True Detective” isn’t an ordinary project, and the brilliant results — I’ll have a review of it tomorrow, but it’s among the most gripping shows I’ve watched in years — speak for themselves. Like “American Horror Story,” it’s set up as a collection of anthology seasons, starting off with the tale of Louisana cops Rustin “Rust” Cohle (McConaughey) and Marty Hart (Harrelson) investigating a serial killer case that winds up spanning 17 years, from 1995 until 2012. In Cohle, an impossibly damaged philosopher with an aptitude for this kind of case, Pizzolatto and McConaughey have created a mesmerizing new character, and Harrelson matches his old friend beat for beat as the more straightforward Hart. Not only did Pizzolatto write every episode, but all were directed by Cary Fukunaga (the 2011 “Jane Eyre”), giving the project a unified, tragically beautiful look and feel.

I spoke with Pizzolatto, a novelist from Louisiana, about the origins of the show, what he learned from (and what he didn’t like about) his time on “The Killing,” what a second season of “True Detective” might look like, and more.

Tugatrix

Oh god there's a Daddario gif now.

I%20can%20fap%20to%20this.gif

She's really smooth with her hands when she took off her shirt, notice the slight quick curve of her hand when she pulled it up to prevent her gorgeous melons from jiggling like water balloons

inm8num2

I haven't looked much into this show but I'm definitely intrigued.

It almost sets up as a long-awaited EdTV sequel. :p

- Chicago Sun Times Review
Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson should star in everything, always — that’s how mesmerizing they are as Louisiana criminal investigators in HBO’s new anthology “True Detective.” With a self-contained season made up of eight episodes, the atmospheric series shifts between 1995, 2002 and 2012 as police try to track down a serial killer with occult tastes. But the real drama surrounds this mismatched pair of cops battling their own demons. 4 out of 4 stars
- NY Post Review
True Detective,” while engrossing at times — and extremely atmospheric — moves at a snail’s pace in fleshing out its two protagonists. 2.5 out of 4 stars

UrbanRats

I wonder if it'll end up being better than Top of the lake.
Took me a couple of weeks to recover from that one.

The format is close enough.

TheOddOne

- THR: True Detective: TV Review
Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson are magnetic in HBO's impressive new drama series.
True Detective, coming as it does after what was arguably the best year for dramas in at least five years (really saying something in our continued renaissance era), just puts an exclamation point on the topic of excessive quality. Who knew the bar would be set so high so early?
- Reuters: McConaughey, Harrelson take on grisly murder in 'True Detective'

bud

hasn't daddario been topless in some other film where she's chained or something? her tits looked like tennis balls. didn't look good at all.

i may have her mixed up with someone else, though.

hasn't daddario been topless in some other film where she's chained or something? her tits looked like tennis balls. didn't look good at all.

i may have her mixed up with someone else, though.
You are mixed up. All of evolution lead to their creation. Genetic greatness. A religous experience. Time to stop oogling. #watchitfortheplot

- Alyssa Rosenberg with some brief remarks on the show:
I have the first three episodes of HBO’s new anthology police series–like American Horror Story, each season will feature different characters and a different plot–and I’ve already watched them twice and I’m fiending for more. The writing is gorgeous, the attention to people living at the margins of the Louisiana economy is often perceptive, and in a television environment that’s already saturated with dead women, brilliant killers, and troubled middle-age white dudes, True Detective manages to feel fresh even though it has familiar subject matter.

ЯAW

Banned
Gotta get HBO Nordic just for this. Well, there is also Boardwalk and Game of Thrones, but nonetheless I have to see this.

This looks very good.

I'm very excited at the prospect of watching an eight-episode season entirely written and directed by two dudes. I'm expecting a very sharp singular vision for the show. That's a big plus.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A season of television written by one person and directed by one person with a clear identity and novelistic approach to storytelling seems like it would be a prime fit for an "all episodes at once" release ala Netflix.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
You know, I really wish that McConaughey's first foray into television would have been Frailty the Series. The trailers definitely gave it that sort of tone... well, at least the part where McConaughey was basically doing "The Horror, The Horror" while sitting at the break room table. I'll still watch, but kind of disappointed to read Greenwald's review.

Rixxan

metacritic is at a 90

i generally agree with greenwald, but he felt s3 game of thrones was the weakest iirc and i completely disagree with that - so i still hold out alot of hope for true detective

regardless of the final product, i'll watch just to see mcconaughey kill it as everyone seems to be in complete agreement with

- Slate.com review: True Great - Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson star in HBO’s remarkable new True Detective
True Detective is never quite depressing. There is something invigorating about watching a show this searching. Its mood, its details, its performances, its genre pleasures are so exacting and exceptional that it can be fearlessly eggheady. It’s a rejoinder to HBO’s other show that wants to be about big ideas, Aaron Sorkin’s Newsroom, a series that stomps and snorts and screams about the shortage of smart, demanding, mind-expanding television for intelligent people without actually being any of those things. True Detective is all of them, without the tantrum, just the goods.

Memles

i generally agree with greenwald, but he felt s3 game of thrones was the weakest iirc and i completely disagree with that - so i still hold out alot of hope for true detective

Andy is, from my perspective, both

a) Entirely right
b) Overselling the show's issues

The show has lots of those problems. And has a tendency to steer into them. But through the three I've seen (the same as Andy, in this instance), I've found those concerns a barrier to wholly embracing the series more than a fatal flaw.

I think the series is a compelling accomplishment—I just also wish it featured the same people and the same craft working toward a different, less derivative premise.

- Newsday Review
Bottom line: Yes, I'm on board for all eight, but those flash-forwards better get interesting fast. Grade: B+

- IGN review
Marked by its focus on the damaged nature of its main characters and haunting imagery, HBO's new anthology series True Detective is an impeccably acted, scripted, and directed show that actually finds something new to mine in the cops and serial killers genre.

- Maureen Ryan's review: McConaughey And Harrelson Are Terrific In New Crime Drama
"True Detective" comes alive in the wide-open spaces, in its spare depictions of bayous and abandoned churches, tent revivals and littered parking lots. Yet this mystery may be most transfixing when its characters are trapped in small spaces. The scenes that had the biggest impact on me took place during interrogations and conversations, when the actors were displaying the kind of psychological intensity and nuance you find only in the very best dramas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom