• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump calls NATO "obsolete"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RulkezX

It's interesting how this stuff gets reported here in the UK.

The other day with his hilarious press conference it was just a short clip and "Trump fires back at critics" and this morning is just talk about a new trade deal , no mention of Russia or NATO.

The other day with his hilarious press conference it was just a short clip and "Trump fires back at critics" and this morning is just talk about a new trade deal , no mention of Russia or NATO.

Russia joined forces with the USA...it's now called Rusa and NATO is obsolete.

No one is laughing except Jimmy Fallon.

What really doesn't help, and it's been true for some time now, is that he makes so many bullshit claims and faces so many critics that he saturates media bandwidth. There's only so many points you can report about in an international news segment. Not to mention, the more asinine propositions you make, the more likely it is that the media won't catch everything, particularly if they are foreign correspondents, essentially reporting on the local media consensus.

Most public figures are judged by a different standard, just because they peddle less bullshit and it stands out more. His high frequency madness is pretty unique.

Americans elect man who believes NATO is obsolete, Muslims should be put on a database and climate change is a Chinese hoax.

Every major policy Trump has advocated seems to have been approved by, at least, 47% of the American electorate. Crucially, these positions are not new - he held them throughout his campaign and people readily embraced them.

Rather than portraying this as the words of a sole lunatic, it's time people here deal with the reality that half the country supports lunacy. The country is going to hell and all people seem to be debating is one man; it is infuriating to see how blind people are to the underlying causes.

Truth here. Nearly 1 of every 2 people in this country is your enemy. The enemy is from within.

Sorry AmeriGAF, you're mostly nice people, but the rate at which your government is turning hostile towards my country is not cool man.

Yeah I'm sure NATO didn't help keep Europe and other allies at peace and keep such crazys like Putin in check. Just imagine what his ilk would do if NATO was disbanded??

But why would Trump care, if Europe or any other place on earth not being the USA would bomb the shit out of each other?? So many business possibilities would open up, delivering arms at first and then building all them stupid countries up again, it'll be called the Trump Plan and will truly make 'merica great again!

That guy is pure cancer for the world!

Barzul

EU probably does need an army. No idea on the logistics of actually implementing one though. It was always a stretch that America would play world police forever. We were always truly one mad man away from the position we find ourselves in today. Not saying Trump is mad but he is erratic, why tie your futures and put your faith in a system that you can't control or influence significantly. Might be the wake up call Europe needs, this presidency. Nothing lasts forever.

Gandie

Thank you racist Americans for electing someone who apparently wants to bring war back to Europe. It was getting boring, all this peace.

In all my life I've considered the US as a friend and an ally. These sound bytes make it sound like this is no longer the case. Trump lacks intelligence, strategic thinking and basic human traits like empathy. He is a disgusting piece of trash, voted in by bigots who couldn't deal with a black man in the White House, people marrying the ones they love and poc not wanting to get killed by the police.

Despite not agreeing with a lot of CDU policies, I will vote for Merkel's party in September. Anything to support and strengthen the new leader of the free world.

EU probably does need an army. No idea on the logistics of actually implementing one though. It was always a stretch that America would play world police forever. We were always truly one mad man away from the position we find ourselves in today. Not saying Trump is mad but he is erratic, why tie your futures and put your faith in a system that you can't control or influence significantly. Might be the wake up call Europe needs, this presidency. Nothing lasts forever.

If the EU would start now you may end up with a credible force in 10 years. As it stands now the EU armies are a husk that are mostly jobs programs for staff officers and a few thousand actual troops that are combat capable. Or what is left of the combat troops, many have quit after going on pointless peacekeeping missions to help people who hate them, combat an enemy without being allowed to kill them and being second guessed every step of the way by politicians and the press. Soft Power was supposed to be the future, not those crude weapons favored by the Yankee cowboys.

As Romano Prodi once said in the early 2000s, the EU was to be

a superpower on the European continent that stands equal to the United States but one as a new type of power, based not on military strength but on economic cooperation and the construction of communities of concience, a new kind of superpower based on waging peace

http://www.foet.org/global/ED/The Washington Post- October 31 2004.pdf

And with this goal in mind the countries' militaries have been firmly set in the low end of the violence spectrum as they say.

norinrad

The point was about the former soviet sphere of influence and Ukraine as a sovereign country did ask NATO for help.

Being a member of NATO and asking NATO for help without being a member are two different things.

In that regard, though i understand where you are heading with this, NATO will come to the aid of a country like Finland, but won't do some for Ukraine. You do the math.

Sunster

I don't know much about anything so forgive this question but, you guys all seem to be talking about the EU hypothetically ramping up it's own army. If the EU did that and no longer needed the US' army as they do now, would the US scale back it's military?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't know much about anything so forgive this question but, you guys all seem to be talking about the EU hypothetically ramping up it's own army. If the EU did that and no longer needed the US' army as they do now, would the US scale back it's military?

Some of it, yes. But that would depend on how much the US wants to retain its capability to project its force.

No.

There's basically no chance of military spending reduction under a Republican government. The military contracts account for too much of how they funnel money into friends and benefactors, and they've spent too much time and energy making it a party-defining policy position, particularly in the post-9/11 era.

You would just see Trump using the "rise" of a European "boogeyman" as an excuse for armament and posturing. He'd probably say something witless about Napoleon and use it as an excuse for military build-up and larger armament contracts for the UAE or something asinine like that.

Melon Husk

You think Putin orchestrated the Brexit vote?

I wouldn't go that far. Seperating UK from EU has been their agenda for 15 years. Maybe the fiddle is playing itself but we can't tell for sure because Putin's not letting go of the damn fiddle.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-post-election-interview-brexit-a-great-thing
”It's obsolete, first because it was designed many, many years ago," Trump said in the Bild version of the interview.

Did he just call himself obsolete as well?

I wonder if this will have the opposite effect on European countries and we actually start committing more resources to NATO and start integrating even more towards a unified defense strategy. These words must be ringing alarms across European political and military leaders.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I wonder if this will have the opposite effect on European countries and we actually start committing more resources to NATO and start integrating even more towards a unified defense strategy. These words must be ringing alarms across European political and military leaders.

I'm not sure if putting more money into NATO is wise when the leader of the main nation behind the alliance may have been compromised by Russian/is clearly impaired. I'd rather have further integration/more funding of the current European armies.

I'm super glad he said that.

Hopefully this will be shock that was needed to push Western Europe into action and they actually start taking care of their armies seriously and not just depend whole on USA for protection

Germany, UK, France are economic superpowers and they alone should be able to muster standing armies big enough to stop Russian invasion for months. Then there's another three 35+ millions people countries with Poland, Spain and Italy. And dozens of smaller ones.

If every European country took their Nato duties seriously and with no need for any long range projection of power like USA needs European part of Nato defence force should be self sufficient against paper tiger like modern Russian army.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I figured you guys would be pleased that Trump is agreeing with Noam Chomsky on an important point.

FunkyMonk

You think they gonna openly rush kiev or they'll keep to eastern ukraine?

Scary times ahead.

If they do anything it'll be a push on Mariupol to create a land bridge to Crimea using the same little green men as they did 2 years ago. I'd be surprised if they went all out for Kiev as that would rouse the international community, rather they'll keep Ukraine destabilised so it can never join NATO.

I'm more worried for Poland though with their current government, Russia doesn't even have to attack. They'll just hand over the country.
What? No.

Do you know anything about Poland? It is the most anti-Putin, anti-Russian country in the EU. The Soviet years are fresh in everyone's memory and the current president believes Russia killed his brother, who was also president.

Sure the developments in Poland are worrying, but let's not pretend all (semi-)authoritarian governments are on the same team now. Poland will resist Russia to the end of the world.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Can Trump remove sanctions through executive action?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Can't belive we might be at the start of a European arms race. It's the logical conclusion of this. He doesn't even need to change any policy. As long as there is doubt about US military support, it's a necessity.

Can't belive we might be at the start of a European arms race. It's the logical conclusion of this. He doesn't even need to change any policy. As long as there is doubt about US military support, it's a necessity.

But if the EU can protect itself against Russia won't the US lose a lot of power reach?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
But if the EU can protect itself against Russia won't the US lose a lot of power reach?
If the EU can work through this and if that happens, then yes, definitely. I don't know if all Americans have realised this yet, but this guy is rocking all the pillars the US built for the last 100 years that made it such a global power.

Read up on his newest interviews on trade. The US has its biggest trade deficits with these entities in order: China, EU, Germany, Japan, Mexico. Those are (Japan to a lesser extent, but it would get hit hard through China anyway) exactly the countries he basically threatened with a trade war. He never mentions Canada, but when he attacks NAFTA, it's what he means. But these are all very important markets and allies. I'm really not sure what would happen if he even turns half of what he says into reality.

What? No.

Do you know anything about Poland? It is the most anti-Putin, anti-Russian country in the EU. The Soviet years are fresh in everyone's memory and the current president believes Russia killed his brother, who was also president.

Sure the developments in Poland are worrying, but let's not pretend all (semi-)authoritarian governments are on the same team now. Poland will resist Russia to the end of the world.

I can second that. Don't know about the Millennials but at least my generation, which experienced the communist era in Poland, has no love for Russia. I've witnessed things only my (future) shrink gets to hear. >.<

kmfdmpig

I'm sorry but I do agree with him about other countries not paying their fair share (i.e. 2% of their GDP). Only 5 countries are paying what they are supposed to. That's BS to me.

Sure, if his goal was to name and shame those countries that consistently fall short of the 2% mark then that would be reasonable (and overdue as it's not right that so many NATO members coast without really paying to remain a useful part of the alliance. He could have gotten that message across much better without the antagonistic BS and the comments about the EU crumbling, etc..., however.

Pomerlaw

What? No.

I'm with Poland.

A 35% tax on import cars is fucking stupid. This isn't 1980.

It's not easy to implement those for him. First, he would have to cancel most WTO agreements, and in the case of Mexico, get rid of NAFTA contracts. And the congress would have to ratify those at the end.

I don't see how Trump's plans fit into any Republican agenda.

I can second that. Don't know about the Millennials but at least my generation, which experienced the communist era in Poland, has no love for Russia. I've witnessed things only my (future) shrink gets to hear. >.<

If NATO falls apart how fast will your leaders move to get nuclear weapons? I imagine it has to at least be on their minds, if they haven't actually started the planning process to make it happen.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If NATO falls apart how fast will your leaders move to get nuclear weapons? I imagine it has to at least be on their minds, if they haven't actually started the planning process to make it happen.
This has already come up and it's kind of crazy. It could happen pretty quickly, probably within months, and it could escalate things to the brink of war, too.
You just need to get a EU cooperation deal done with France as a "nuclear patron", because most European countries signed this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_on_the_Non-Proliferation_of_Nuclear_Weapons

Interesting times ahead...

Xando

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well legally for germany it's not that easy (Not to mention that the german public is against it) since we signed the anti nuke treaty aswell as the two plus four treaty requires germany not to develop nuclear, biological or chemical weapons.
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deuts...y-bot-deutschland-atomwaffen-an-a-505887.html

France actually offered Germany to take part in their nuclear program before under Sarkozy, but Germany refused. Pretty sure you don't break any treaties with such a solution.

Xando

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deuts...y-bot-deutschland-atomwaffen-an-a-505887.html

France actually offered Germany to take part in their Nuclear program before under Sarkozy, but Germany refused. Pretty sure you don't break any treaties with such a solution.

Germany already is defacto a nuclear power since the americans would let us use their nukes in case of a war thanks to the "Nukleare Teilhabe".

Most Germans don't know about this because public opinion is still anti nukes.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Germany already is defacto a nuclear power since the americans would let us use their nukes in case of a war thanks to the "Nukleare Teilhabe".

Most Germans don't know about this because public opinion is still anti nukes.
Yeah and that's exactly the option European countries have. Replace or extend this NATO program with their own if they have or want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom