• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump declares ‘total vindication’ in tweet on Comey

Jeremy

"Block public transit" seems like a strategy that would mainly only work in cities (areas that by and large voted for Hillary), and would do little to the suburban and rural Trump voters who get around in cars.

When people threaten to block transit in the south for protest, threats about running over protestors in trucks or gunning them down usually start popping up in the comment sections of news or whoever is discussing it. It feels risky because prolly not much would happen if someone did do anything, the police here would hate the protestors more so or equally. It's a fucking mess

It's always some dumb shit like "You better not get in the way, some of us have to work for living! We can't all sit on the porch collecting welfare!"

is that usual in other places?

also state representatives always openly mock and chastise the protestors' with support from their constituents via social media anytime there's a march or rally.

imma kill myself if i'm still living here by January 1, 2018

no it doesn't it just implied something was leaked. leaking is about bypassing clearance not about the validity of the info itself

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's what we're really talking about. I get that there may be a classified report that contains false information, and that I can release that if I have the access and it's still a leak. But if I'm quoted as an inside source and I'm just making shit up, that's not a leak.

I'm honestly slightly confused by Kasowitz' strategy here:

it is overwhelmingly clear that there have been and continue to be those in government who are actively attempting to undermine this administration with selective and illegal leaks of classified information and privileged communications. Mr. Comey has now admitted that he is one of these leakers.

Is the contention that all FBI memos are classified, or is he citing executive privilege there? Doesn't executive privilege need to be invoked? If not, there's still the matter that -- if what he says is true in terms of never telling Comey to drop the Flynn investigation or asking for loyalty -- this can't be a betrayal of confidence in as much as it would be slander.

Haunted

Delusional.

The rest of the world is laughing at you, USA. The quicker you get that embarrassment out of office, the better.

Figures he'd say something along those lines. One of the rules he lives by is to always declare victory, even in the face of undeniable defeat.

There was a Frontline doc that said he was taught this by one of the laywers who worked for McCarthy back in the day who was friends with his dad. When he lost the lawsuit for racist housing practices and was ordered to pay millions in damages he called it a great victory.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
DB47KhKVwAA1F-u.jpg

_93733787_aaas.jpg

look at all those people just sitting on their ass

Soros funded according to my colleague who is an independent.

Note: He says he is an independent but that is a lie. Craps all over liberal policies, racist/xenophobic, and is very much on trickle down. Basically a Republican but ashamed to call himself that since Republicans=Trump.

Brannon

“Wow, Comey is a leaker.”

Heh, leak. He calls it a leak. Bruh, that ain't a leak, that's a man shouting from the rooftops while throwing a bucket of fresh blood and giblets to a pack of wolves.

Damaniel

Banned
The Donald reddit says this was a great victory for God emperor

He could have marched into the session, fully admitted obstructing justice and colluding with Russia, handed out copies of the pee pee tape *and* chopped off Comey's head, and /r/the_moron supporters would still keep slurping on Trump's tiny cock while claiming victory. They (at least the ones that aren't Russian) can't be reasoned with.

Something can't be both classified and false.

At least, not KNOWN to be false.

This isn't worth getting tripped up about. It's not hard to fathom that there are numerous reports that are classified to the public that contain falsehoods.

Edit: I replied before you edited.

KingV

This isn't worth getting tripped up about. It's not hard to fathom that there are numerous reports that are classified to the public that contain falsehoods.

Edit: I replied before you edited.

Yes I realized shortly after that something could be mistakenly false. Your reply above basically covers my point in more detail.

Afrikan

Comey was under oath, Trump is not.

Watching some Trump supporter reactions yesterday after the hearing (CNN had a group of 15 voters from Ohio), you would think they didn't know...didn't care...or didn't understand how serious it is to lie under oath.

You mean the same political system that allows the one with less votes to win ? That allows a president to have close advisers with ties to an hostile regime ? That allows a president to leak intelligence to the same regime ? That allows a president to obstruct justice without facing immediate repercussions even though he admits it ?
Yes let's trust that system.

Gaming the system has always been a thing. That's why checks and balances exist. These things DO take time, and they are designed to be as thorough as possible. They NEED to be thorough.

And they're imperfect. So we continue to make improvements, and deal with issues that arise. Donald Trump isn't the problem with this country. He's not the cancer, he's a symptom of the cancer, and treating a sickness (yes, it's an analogy that I just kind of went into) the way that you're suggesting does NOT work.

Armaros

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's what we're really talking about. I get that there may be a classified report that contains false information, and that I can release that if I have the access and it's still a leak. But if I'm quoted as an inside source and I'm just making shit up, that's not a leak.

I'm honestly slightly confused by Kasowitz' strategy here:

Is the contention that all FBI memos are classified, or is he citing executive privilege there? Doesn't executive privilege need to be invoked? If not, there's still the matter that -- if what he says is true in terms of never telling Comey to drop the Flynn investigation or asking for loyalty -- this can't be a betrayal of confidence in as much as it would be slander.

Yes executive privelage needs to be invoked, it's not some always applies concept for anything related to the President.

thill1985

Banned
Accuses Comey of perjury and also says we should take Comey's word for it at the same time

I keep hearing ppl say this kinda thing but there is really nothing implausible about a person lying to protect themselves (or make themselves look good or their perceived adversary look bad) while also in the same discussion "admitting" something favorable to the adversary. The more awkward element is Trump claiming Comey leaked something that should not have been leaked. If the memos do not reflect what happened in their interactions how can it somehow be a leak? It's like the 'leaks are real, news is fake' paradox. Does not compute.

I keep hearing ppl say this kinda thing but there is really nothing implausible about a person lying to protect themselves (or make themselves look good or their perceived adversary look bad) while also in the same discussion "admitting" something favorable to the adversary. The more awkward element is Trump claiming Comey leaked something that should not have been leaked. If the memos do not reflect what happened in their interactions how can it somehow be a leak? It's like the 'leaks are real, news is fake' paradox. Does not compute.
Right! Exactly!

As to the earlier point, I do realize that it is possible for someone to make several statements and for some of them to be true while others are false. However, if your position is that someone is capable of being wantonly dishonest, this establishes that you don't think they are credible. Unless you can present something compelling to establish why you think someone is being truthful with one statement and lying about another, you can't just cherrypick the stuff you like while throwing out the stuff you don't. So he confirmed what Trump said before: that Comey had told him in private that he was not under investigation. OK. Maybe Comey was just lying about Trump not being under investigation. I mean the guy is a liar, right?

This tweet is amazing because it shows clearly that as the walls are closing in he's gone and trapped himself in an even smaller bubble where he's cherry picking talking points from the right wing media that validate what he truelly believes, that he is the victim. It's a great position for us for him to be in because he won't stop tweeting and because he believes he won out in that hearing. The right wing media that is working very hard to convince its base that it's Comey who is the criminal and that the president has been vindicated is inadvertently also convincing the president and they ultimately will the ones that will help him self distruct 140 characters at a time.

Jenov

I wouldn't be surprised if Mueller has an investigation looking into Trump personally now, lol. Trump's a moron, and he's going to get burned from all these idiotic tweets.

On the one hand, I have a hard time believing that Trump would know the meaning of the word "vindication".

On the other hand, only Trump is dumb enough to think a testimony that straight up calls him a liar, accuses him of obstructing an investigation and confirms Russian interference is vindication of him.

I am confused.

DOWN

Banned
The way Trump is conflating the issue of classified leaks with a Comey's completely innocuous memos being leaked by himself

idolminds

Neo Member
Comey was under oath, Trump is not.

Watching some Trump supporter reactions yesterday after the hearing (CNN had a group of 15 voters from Ohio), you would think they didn't know...didn't care...or didn't understand how serious it is to lie under oath.

This is why I don't understand their thinking. The former FBI director decided to knowingly commit perjury even though he knows exactly what the consequence of that would be if caught. All so he could...uh...what exactly? What would Comey gain by doing that?

gdt

This guy. Even when he loses he declares it a victory.

Birth certificate.

Settling cases.

The debates.

Add this to the pile.

LpJZ7L7.gif

Of course he does.

He's the herald of an alternate post-fact world, and he's going to be slowly dragged back into the real world, kicking and screaming but tweeting that everything's fine the whole way.

This guy. Even when he loses he declares it a victory.

Birth certificate.

Settling cases.

The debates.

Add this to the pile.
Which is why when he resigns it'll be a victory too.

Along with a recurring line about how its impossible to be a Republican or Conservative with the deep state sabotaging any efforts to make America Greater.

Afrikan

This is why I don't understand their thinking. The former FBI director decided to knowingly commit perjury even though he knows exactly what the consequence of that would be if caught. All so he could...uh...what exactly? What would Comey gain by doing that?

"Showboating" I'm sure. :/

Fuck what a waste of time in our lives.

Magwik

Banned
LpJZ7L7.gif

Of course he does.

He's the herald of an alternate post-fact world, and he's going to be slowly dragged back into the real world, kicking and screaming but tweeting that everything's fine the whole way.
Comey essentially referring to Trump as King Henry II says a lot about his opinion of the man.

Top Bottom