• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump executive order pulls out of TPP trade deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38721056

_93777678_hi037463842.jpg

EDIT: Sanders statement:

Somnid

I don't mind this one. We can do a lot better than the TPP, not that it'll happen during the Trump administration.

Something else is gonna come along in a year or so, where he will say it was a "better deal" and he will sign it.

This is just so he can say he was against the TPP.

ianpm31

All I see is "executive order" left and right. The GOP told me this was a bad thing last term...

TPP is bad though

Tovarisc

At least he's done one good thing today.

He is already balancing it out;
President Donald Trump is reinstating a ban on providing federal money to international groups that perform abortions or provide information on the option.

The regulation has been something of a political football, instituted by Republican administrations and rescinded by Democratic ones since 1984.

Most recently, President Barack Obama ended the ban in 2009.

Trump signed it one day after the Jan. 22 anniversary of the Supreme Court's 1973 Roe vs. Wade decision that legalized abortion in the United States, the date which is traditionally when presidents take action on the policy.

The policy also prohibits taxpayer funding for groups that lobby to legalize abortion or promote it as a family planning method.
https://www.apnews.com/2987214f67da...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

jmdajr

Some "analyst" on NPR radio said the new NAFTA agreement was basically going to be TPP, just named different.

Sarek

TPP was shit anyway. TTIP next.

Don't need to pull out of something that doesn't even exist. Even the negotiations were pretty much dead already.

Also it is pretty pathetic that many people now act like TPP was a good thing just because Trump doesn't like it.

paskowitz

People need to understand that TPP was bad... but what is worse is not presenting an alternative immediately. Otherwise China will fill the void with a deal of their own, which will be worse for us (US) than TPP.

So really 1 step back, 1 step forward, potentially 2 steps back.

Tovarisc

This is the "mexico city" order than happens every time the parties swap the whitehouse

I have noticed that parties like to play political football with people's lives and health. They must get quite a bit fun out of it in order to keep doing it.

Kickz

Don't need to pull out of something that doesn't even exist. Even the negotiations were pretty much dead already.

Also it is pretty pathetic that many people now act like TPP was a good thing just because Trump doesn't like it.

Seriously, team sport politics helps no one

Necrovex

Some people were disaffected last year due to the held trade policy stances of the major candidates. Poligaf had several people who liked TPP. I was particularly lukewarm about it during the election cycle. So this isn't a sudden change of heart for some people.

FireVoa

Love it how Pence is again hovering over Trump's shoulder, like dad making sure that his kid nails the assignment.

Isn't it horrifying then that should "we" actually dump Trump, there's a whole other issue to worry about with Mike Pence?

I was always in favor of it and still am, not that it matters. The US is certain to get replaced by China now in the region, and economically, they'll probably eclipse us and take the number one spot.

Plasmid

TPP was BAD. REAL BAD. Very little corporate oversight, allowing for them to sue for loss of profits. I'm actually surprised he signed it.

Blind hatred for Trump has made some of you forget the TPP is not a good thing anyway.

What am I saying, 90% didn't know what the fuck TPP entailed

studyguy

Easy to say when you're unaffected and cannot see what repercussions there might be. Whatever it is, we won't know for awhile.

We'll likely know soon enough once China starts bargaining within the area. I'm not 100% for the TPP but we're basically leaving the table open for another to walk in within Asia. Most likely China.

Since 2016, both Singapore's PM Lee Hsien Loong and Japan's PM, Abe, have both measured it as a sign of confidence and committing to the area. It not passing just assumes we're walking away wholesale for the foreseeable future and creating a vacuum for someone to fill as no one will have the confidence to try and bring the US to the bargaining table again for a long fucking time.

Anyway it's pretty moot now, but we'll likely see something come out of the area we're not involved in soon enough. RCEP is still going iirc without us involved

UberTag

It's nice to see Donald cares so much about women...
His tweet over the weekend made it explicitly clear that he strongly disagrees with what women around his country were protesting on Saturday but he respects their decision to do so.

Tovarisc

Blind hatred for Trump has made some of you forget the TPP is not a good thing anyway.

I think peoples bigger issue here is "What now?" Even if TPP wasn't that good thing, but removing it without any replacement can't be all that good. More or less US is removing itself from close trade relationships with countries involved in TPP.

His tweet over the weekend made it explicitly clear that he strongly disagrees with what women around his country were protesting on Saturday but he respects their decision to do so.

I bet 1st tweet was by Trump, but 2nd one was by staffer or Ivanka. So different tones and even sentence structures.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'd be happy if I had any faith in what might happen in lieu of furthering the TPP...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Then he'll tweet today saying they're horrible or stupid or some other predictable thin skinned knee jerk retort that is becoming so common. The dude says one thing in the morning, then opposite in the afternoon then at night says he never said either thing. Stop following his tweets like they mean anything at all and watch his actions. Those are speaking far far far louder than his words ever had. Talk is cheap.

It at least had some environmental protections within it to protect against illegal logging, overfishing, & do things like stop the Ivory trade in Malaysia & Vietnam.

In terms of treaties, it probably was the strongest in that area.

I would be surprised if what China proposes is at the same level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom