• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: Healthcare bill will be revised to gain GOP support for Thursday vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
House leaders set Obamacare repeal and replace vote for Thursday
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/17/politics/house-obamacare-repeal-thursday/index.html
Leaders continue to work toward the 216 votes needed to back the health care bill led by House Speaker Paul Ryan, and believe with some of the changes they are making they are securing additional support.

Friday morning, members of the Republican Study Committee — who have expressed serious doubts about the House's health care bill — emerged from a meeting at the White House supportive.

"You're looking at some of the top conservatives in the House," he said. We stand united today to move this forward for the American people," the chairman of the Republican Study Committee Mark Walker, R-North Carolina, told reporters Friday morning.

The timeline is still fluid and subject to change, but Republican members are being told that the current House bill is on track and being reworked to include the option for states to impose work requirements for able-bodied adults who are on Medicaid, something the RSC has been lobbying for. The RSC also was told, according to a GOP aide, that states were given the option to receive block grant funding rather than per capita funding.

Changes may also include making tax credits for older Americans more generous, an item that could win over some moderates.

In tinkering around the edges, leadership is optimistic that they can cobble together enough votes from both corners of their party to pass their legislation next week and move it onto the Senate where it faces another set of challenges and even more narrow math.

Trump said Friday he is "100% in favor" of the health care measure

commedieu

Banned
So they're going to get rid of anything that helps people afford healthcare then, the meager handout they reduced it to will be gone.

House leaders set Obamacare repeal and replace vote for Thursday
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/17/politics/house-obamacare-repeal-thursday/index.html

Good.

If Trump keeps distance from this it won't hurt him. Let him endorse it 100%. Then any shitty tiny piece of it, has been fully endorsed by Donald Trump and it can be hung around his neck forever should it pass.

Or, if it falls on its face (which still strikes me as the most probable outcome) then he absolutely has that loss further stinking up his reputation, and he spends political capital doing so.

Armaros

Rand and the Freedom Caucus aren't budging unless there's a full repeal.

And the GOP in moderate districts and senators in states that expanded medicaid are against downsizing medicaid. Touching medicaid right before 2018 is going to be a political deathsentence in those areas.

That could be a disaster for 2018 elections.

Speaking of which, when do you think the cut off will be, in terms of them actually doing something? The July 15th break? Primary rumblings will start around the time congress comes back in session in September.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
That could be a disaster for 2018 elections.

Trump has already sunk the hopes of many who barely squeaked by last round.

This is basically a hail Mary. They really need this to pass and reduce premiums quickly so they have something to point to in 2018.

Armaros

The one silver lining.

Also they don't have 60 senate votes?

They want to pass this with budget reconciliation, which only requires a 51 majoirty. If they wait until later and have to make a new bill, it will need 60 to avoid a Dem filibuster.

Speaking of which, when do you think the cut off will be, in terms of them actually doing something? The July 15th break? Primary rumblings will start around the time congress comes back in session in September.

From what I can see they have until mid April to do budget reconciliation (51 votes) which means after that, they need 60 in the Senate and that requires Democrats to flip. They have to pass a new budget before the recess and that is the window for reconciliation.

I'm starting to think that Trump and key Republicans know that the shit is going to hit the fan really hard within two weeks on intel re: Trump's Russian connections and after that it's game fucking over for them getting shit done for the next two years.

Ac30

They want to pass this with budget reconciliation, which only requires a 51 majoirty. If they wait until later and have to make a new bill, it will need 60 to avoid a Dem filibuster.

Holy shit. Well then good luck, America, millions of you are fucked.

tbm24

This is when Trump is going to learn that he won't be able to please all groups within the GOP to get this shit to pass. If you please a moderate, you piss off a tea partier, and vice versa.

Steejee

So is this going to fail then Trump will claim he was *really* for the original bill, and it shouldn't have changed because it was perfect?

I feel like they've been implying until now that it was basically a take it or leave it bill.

From what I can see they have until mid April to do budget reconciliation (51 votes) which means after that, they need 60 in the Senate and that requires Democrats to flip.

I feel like Joe Manchin will. Hes basically a republican now, as far as I'm concerned.

leroidys

From what I can see they have until mid April to do budget reconciliation (51 votes) which means after that, they need 60 in the Senate and that requires Democrats to flip. They have to pass a new budget before the recess and that is the window for reconciliation.

I don't think they need a dem to flip, Pence is the senate tie breaker.

Armaros

I feel like Joe Manchin will. Hes basically a republican now, as far as I'm concerned.

They need 6 non-GOP to flip if it gets to a 60 vote.

I don't think they need a dem to flip, Pence is the senate tie breaker.

I'm talking about if they don't make it to budget reconciliation which is a 51 vote majority.

At 60 to make it filibuster proof with a new Bill, the VP doesn't get to break anything because it's not a 50-50 tie.

Dude Abides

Banned
They'll make it even more loony and there's no way the Senate will pass it.

That way Ryan and Trump can blame the Senate for not passing it and not have to deal with the fallout of millions of people getting fucked if it had passed.

Ac30

Him applauding Trump made me gag.

So, they have a month to come up with a plan that will help more than the ACA. Good luck.

Also isn't Pence voting unprecedented? You could have had a public option if Obama roped Biden in in 2010.

tbm24

Joe Manchin is not going to vote for a health care bill that negatively affects his constituents. This bill kills the Black Lung benefits. So he is not basically a republican and you should take a good look as to why he's a benefit.

leroidys

They need 6 non-GOP to flip if it gets to a 60 vote.

I'm talking about if they don't make it to budget reconciliation which is a 51 vote majority.

At 60 to make it filibuster proof with a new Bill, the VP doesn't get to break anything because it's not a 50-50 tie.

What I'm saying is that Pence is the 101st vote in the senate. He is the tie breaker, like in the De Vos confirmation. Is there something special about budget reconciliation that they need 51 senators to vote in the affirmative?

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
When is the deadline for them to pass this under reconciliation? April? Wouldn't they only need 50 votes before the deadline to get it over the line?

Armaros

What I'm saying is that Pence is the 101st vote in the senate. He is the tie breaker, like in the De Vos confirmation. Is there something special about budget reconciliation that they need 51 senators to vote in the affirmative?

A budget reconcillstion is a Congressional process to discuss and debate (and alter) the budget, hence all the changes in the bill being only based on spending and spending cuts.

This only requires basic majority 51 because they can't be filibustered. But they have specifc rules on how they can be done, so if the GOP wait too long, the option to use it might go off the table.

If that happens they will need to write a new bill, which CAN be filibustered and thus need 60.

And the VP can only ever vote on a 50-50 tie and no other times. As written in the Constitution, that and being the Presidents replacement are the VPs only Offical jobs.

Mike M

Nick N
And the VP can only ever vote on a 50-50 tie and no other times. As written in the Constitution, that and being the Presidents replacement are the VPs only Offical jobs.

Pretty sure they're supposed to protect the spacetime continuum too.

Like they think that far ahead. Republicans last year basically let go of the ships wheel, covered their eyes, and sailed clean through the eye of the storm. Luckiest motherfuckers alive.

If they go through with it, many people will be voting Democrat in 2018.

Vixdean

Remember, this is to gain support for it to just pass the House. It was only 2 votes away from dying in committee yesterday, this thing is on the thinnest of lifelines. It's still DOA in the Senate, both politically and due to violating reconciliation rules.

Ogodei

Unless the tax credits are vastly more generous it won't offset the fact that insurers can discriminate against the elderly.

leroidys

A budget reconcillstion is a Congressional process to discuss and debate (and alter) the budget, hence all the changes in the bill being only based on spending and spending cuts.

This only requires basic majority 51 because they can't be filibustered. But they have specifc rules on how they can be done, so if the GOP wait too long, the option to use it might go off the table.

If that happens they will need to write a new bill, which CAN be filibustered and thus need 60.

Yes. I think we're talking past each other.

CHC

Less than a week to revise a bill that allegedly will fix an issue these fucking cucks have been complaining about for the the last 8 years. I might want to laugh if it wasn't so dangerous.

Ac30

Remember, this is to gain support for it to just pass the House. It was only 2 votes away from dying in committee yesterday, this thing is on the thinnest of lifelines. It's still DOA in the Senate, both politically and due to violating reconciliation rules.

How does this violate the rules? I tried to wiki reconciliation but I didn't understand it

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Pence can break the tie for a budget reconciliation vote.

Ogodei

Given how conservative West Virginia is, and thus how conservative a generic WV senator should be, Manchin is literally the most valuable Senate vote Democrats have.

Manchin may be a dead man walking either way due to the Epipen scandal (his family is the one responsible for that price-gougery). Unless 2018 ends up as a Democratic wave such that his opponent's (probably justified!) cries of corruption do nothing because West Virginians get that they're literally dying because of the GOP.

studyguy

C7IoMsfWkAA5HZF.jpg:large

RPGCrazied

So if your unemployed for whatever reason you are out of luck? Better not get sick? Gosh I really do hate Republicans.

CHC

Wow, so we're going even deeper, then?

Basically "you will crank out children and work until you literally die on the job?"

OK perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom