• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump moves decisively to wipe out Obama’s climate-change record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned
Shamelessly stolen from reddit

xvsng0l.gif

Not soon enough.

He can try to deregulate coal but the fact that natural gas is cheaper and cleaner will mean most electricity producers will still prefer that over coal.

Only thing that can changer that is, ironically, government subsidies.

How long until that happens? Most people are just totally discounting that and saying "Oh I don't think Trump wants to go that far." I think that he will. It's obvious that the way he is thinking about climate change is that he has picked a side and he wants his side to win. If the coal jobs don't come back after cutting regulation, I think they will prop it up and say liberals did it with clean energy.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Trump's obsession with trying to spite Obama at every turn is one of the most bizarre things about his Presidency (which is saying something). I think he desperately wants Obama's attention and for him to just start attacking Trump on Twitter and in the media - but Obama ain't taking the bait and is just letting Trump sabotage himself. I imagine it's really eating at Donny that Obama is just ignoring him.
Yeah, it's hard not to notice his pathetic spiteful actions. Obama taking the high road.

The darkest timeline, even Exxon Mobil urges Trump to stay in the Paris Agreement.

Less than a week before President Donald Trump signed an executive order rolling back major elements of the Obama administration’s climate change policies, one of the largest gas and oil companies in America advised the White House to remain a participant in the Paris climate agreement.

In a letter sent March 22 to the White House, Exxon Mobil urged the Trump administration not to pull out of the Paris Agreement, calling the landmark deal reached in 2015 an “effective framework for addressing the risks of climate change” and the “first major international accord” to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...is-climate-accord_us_58dc412ae4b05eae031d0199

Gas/oil companies are extremely invested in renewables, they know that fossil fuels are limited resources. Exxon puts a ton into researching lipids derived from algae for example.

Yes, after spending millions to create the climate denial lobby and spreading misinformation and lies so they could line their pockets at the expense of future generations.

Monocle

It's completely fucking bonkers that whether a hugely influential country heeds or ignores reliable science hinges on the whims of voters. Many of whom are actual morons who don't have the first clue about how science works.

Our democratic tradition really dicked itself last year. When a large portion of the public is dumb, hateful, or ill informed enough to vote for ignorance and corruption personified, it's time to rethink some of our basic institutions. New safeguards against anti-intellectual populists are sorely needed.

It's completely fucking bonkers that whether or not a hugely influential country heeds or ignores reliable science hinges on the whims of voters. Many of whom are actual morons who don't have the first clue about how science works.

Which is why I lean heavily on having a technocracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom