• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump pressures Democrats on Obamacare to get border wall deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya'll do understand that fox news and iheart radio creates these kinds of spin narratives that you guys seek from Democrats before Republican politicians even etch out a response right? And none of us wants a fox news for Democrats. So they can shout all they want (and do), but it's not the same.

Moppeh

Banned
Oh my fucking god, he is literally saying he will ruin lives if they don't fund his wall. That's fucking incredible.

This is such an obvious error in judgement/strategy. The president is extremely unpopular, he hasn't achieved anything concrete, and he just saw his Obamacare replacement plan rejected by congress and the American people. Why on earth would you decide the next move is to hold people's healthcare hostage to pay for a wall you told everyone that Mexico would pay for?

It's like building a house with turds. The foundation is trash and unsustainable but he keeps adding piece after piece. Amazing...

djkimothy

Democrats have no incentive to support any wall let alone reprofiling money from Obamacare.

Republicans have control of both House and Senate. Find a way to make it work. But Dems should not support such a stupid policy let alone a wasteful public works project.

I actually hope they eventually get some cash for the wall just so we can get to the next roadblock where none of border states actually want it and then sue the Trump administration for years to block it. Even Texas doesn't want it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I imagine a Trump rally right now

Trump: WHEN DO WE NEED THE WALL?
Crowd: NOW!!!
T: AND WHO WILL PAY FOR IT?
C: MEXICO, EVENTUALLY IN SOME FORM AT A LATER DATE!!!

Beartruck

A smart politician would create a "bipartisan" plan that heavily favors republican ideas while tossing token support to democrats, but Trump is incompetent so his attempt at it is "help me or sick people will die!" Thank god hes too stupid to achieve all his goals.

Loxley

What the fuck is with this his lame-ass mafia extortion tactics? "Fund my wall or your healthcare bill will lose funding?" Does he genuinely think that'll work?

Motherfucker, you promised Mexico would pay for it, and now you're making American taxpayers foot the $25 billion bill. And because (for some crazy reason) Dems are balking at that idea you're now threatening to take away funding for their healthcare? In what scenario does anybody, Democrats, Republicans, or the American taxpayer, come out of this deal with a win?

Freakin' moron.

Shoeless

Because they don't want one either.

Really it's only midwestern/ southern east coast republicans who want it to happen.

Sunbelt republicans know it's a shitty idea that will only cause them problems

Being a Canadian and not familiar with the specific nuances, I can see how sunbelt regions would think a wall is a bad idea, but why would the mid-west and southern east coast think it's a good idea?

In particular, if we take Florida as part of the southern east coast, a wall would do ZERO for that area, since it's coastal anyway. How does a Florida resident think building a wall will keep dirty, no good, illegal immigrants out of a state surrounded by water?

royalan

Oh my fucking god, he is literally saying he will ruin lives if they don't fund his wall. That's fucking incredible.

I can't help but think, had a Democratic president done something like this, threatened the healthcare of millions of people over a petty-ass infrastructure project that won't do anything to help anyone, the Republican messaging machine would have been glorious.

We'd see every Republican pundit and politician on every news media source possible, all shouting with the same unified message. Over and over again.

Commercials would be running in every state

The internet would be flooded with crappy memes.

There would be no sleeping at GOP headquarters until the Republican spin had been drilled into the head of every American man, woman and child.

But here we are with Republican President Trump, threatening to rob healthcare from millions and giving Democrats the sort of ammo that the greatest political strategists of years past could only dream of landing in their lap.

And...nothing.

Tripon

Trump has bad facts in case the government shuts down. His party has control of the Presidency, and both the House and the Senate. Also, traditionally, when the Federal Government shuts down, people blame the Republicans who have advocated for less government and are always looking to shrink government, not the party that have argued that government can be a force of good like Democrats have.

To be frank, there is a disconnect that Trump hasn't figured out how to argued against, probably because he hasn't seen it yet in his mind.

Armaros

Being a Canadian and not familiar with the specific nuances, I can see how sunbelt regions would think a wall is a bad idea, but why would the mid-west and southern east coast think it's a good idea?

In particular, if we take Florida as part of the southern east coast, a wall would do ZERO for that area, since it's coastal anyway. How does a Florida resident think building a wall will keep dirty, no good, illegal immigrants out of a state surrounded by water?

It's the boogeyman bordercrossing immigrants that cause all these problems.

What better way to blame people you can't see across the country?

Why not just launch a kick starter campaign instead, since "the people" want it so badly, I'm sure if they all chip in you could build something.

Hazmat

The wall does zero good for anyone. People in border states know this, but racist Republicans in other states get all their information on immigration from Fox News.

Boke1879

Dems better sit back and not do shit.

PLEASE. You own all branches of government and yall can't do a damn thing. Dems have no reason to help you out and the base doesn't want them to.

People in Florida think illegal immigrants are coming through places like Texas, and they're in favor of the wall since it won't negatively affect them since it's not in their backyard.

Lkr

What is that last tweet? :D Top is latest.

WhgOVSm.png

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

Edit: Sessions backing up easyD: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/23/p...o-border-wall 0525PMStoryLink&linkId=36801391
Lol he's still trying to say Mexico will pay for it. God is laughing at us

numble

People in Florida obviously think that people can drive across state borders.

studyguy

The $1 for ACA subsidy in trade for $1 for wall funding will never fly for either side. Dems will laugh as hard as Schumer has and HFC will balk at funding Obamacare full stop.

Art of the deal my ass.

I don't even know how to parse that last tweet. Read it back after he posted and laughed. Clown shoes.

Tripon

It's actually the opposite. If you ask boarder communities, they tend to think the wall is a dumb idea. It's the people who live in the northern states that think it's going to make a difference.

Drug and human smugglers have already dug extensive underground tracts across the borders, but we haven't heard anything how the DHS or the proposed boarder wall help with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom