• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump slaps travel restrictions on North Korea, Venezuela in sweeping new ban

mid83

I read somewhere, not sure which article, that the administration claims the counties listed are ones where they aren’t able to vet potential refugees/immigrants through their respective governments. It also said they dropped Sudan as a banned country because they apparently are able to get what they need vetting wise from the Sudan government.

Now if people believe that reason or not is another question, but it seems like this is how the administration is attempting to sell this.

At least this shows that he is not just targeting Muslims.
Or he is targeting muslims and adding a couple provisions with little impact on other countries (I don't think many North Koreans are trying to travel to the US, and the Venezuelan ban only applies to some government officials and their families) is a way to slap a fig leaf on muslim ban 3.0 so it'll be more likely to pass muster in the courts.

Ishan

I wonder how many North Koreans even try to travel to us ... Venezuela ban is wierd has this been done before (banning govt affiliated entities but not general populace ? Just curious ) ...

All other asides I'm not a fan of the indefinite timeline on these restrictions

KonradLaw

His north korea ban makes no sense.

I mean, who does this affect? The citizens arent even allowed to leave the country

it's the only ban that actually does make some sense. Altough it really should be delegated employment ban, not travel one. One of NK's regime's big sources of income is from north korean workers who were sent to be directly employeed in the west. EU is putting such sanctions now and the delegated workers will be expelled.

brian577

Banned
it's the only ban that actually does make some sense. Altough it really should be delegated employment ban, not travel one. One of NK's regime's big sources of income is from north korean workers who were sent to be directly employeed in the west. EU is putting such sanctions now and the delegated workers will be expelled.

You're thinking of China and Russia. NK workers are not sent to the EU or US.

Oberon

Banned
Christ, it says a lot about Trump when countries like Venezuela are on this list yet Turkey and Saudi Arabia are nowhere to be seen.

It's a little consistency so hard for this orange motherfucker? Either go all in or fuck off with your arbitrary made up rules.

Mhmm, Turkey might be getting more dictatory recently but its nowhere near as bad as SA or even Russia, why would the US put a travel ban on them?

If he's doing this, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say either a big news story is gonna hit soon or he is just continuing to be a prick. My gut is going for the former and a bit of the latter.

maxcriden

NK would have made sense had it been implemented from the beginning, but it took him having a dick-measuring contest with Kim Jong-Un to enact it.

Putting Venezuela in makes no sense though. Aren't people trying to escape from there?

So he's closing the door to people attempting to escape oppressive regimes? Who the fuck else is coming from North Korea and Venezuela?

What is he hoping to accomplish with this?

I hope this doesn't affect resident gaffer Machado.

I believe that's the point. He's pretty much made it clear that refugees fleeing war-torn nations are NOT welcome in the United States. As far as he's concerned, they can fuck right off and die.

That was the old, not-so-great USA. 2017 America plays by different rules.

Just to clarify this,

The new restrictions on Chad and North Korea are a broad ban on nationals from those countries entering the U.S. For Venezuela, restrictions apply to government officials and their immediate family.

From NPR: http://www.npr.org/2017/09/24/55335...-ban-expands-beyond-muslim-majority-countries.

I was relieved to read this since it indicates those suffering in Venezuela can still come to the US if they have the opportunity.

His travel bans remind me how since we were in perpetual war with Soviet Bloc states we accepted no people from those countries at all what so ever.

Waaaaaaaaaaait a minute.

A great way to destabilize and de-legitimize a regime you don't like would be to encourage and facilitate people leaving it. If people are desperately fleeing your regime it's hard to spin it as a good thing. There's a reason they had to build the Berlin Wall and it wasn't to keep the gloriousness of communism to themselves.

Beartruck

Kinda crazy how fast this has become the new normal. The original thread about the 90 day ban was thousands of posts, and yet the thread announcing him making the ban permanent barely gets to 2 pages.

Zolo

https://twitter.com/yjtorbati/status/913132988027764736

DKwZnC0WkAAkKHp.jpg:large

It's almost as if these pointless additions were added solely as "evidence" that the administration isn't just targeting Muslims.

I read somewhere that about 9 people came in to the US from NK in the last year. Wonder how many were non diplomats.

If it convinces anyone that its not a muslim ban then they never really thought it was in the first place.

Top Bottom