• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump tells Duterte of two U.S. nuclear subs in Korean waters

Putin's plan to destroy our credibility is going along swimmingly.

At this point, I think Putin went from Joker describing himself as a dog chasing cars to

iloveuselessknowledge_2015-04-10_10-13-15.jpg

Is this really secret information though?

Isn't it expected that we'd have submarines moving with our carrier groups?

Just a layman here on military matters, but even I'd assume that.

Uhyve

So the New York Times must have a hell of a source in US intelligence. First they post photos from the investigation into a terrorist attack, now they're posting quotes from a transcript of a phone conversion between the president and Duterte. Insane.

RPGCrazied

now they're posting quotes from a transcript of a phone conversion between the president and Duterte. Insane.

The President's phone in the oval office is no doubt bugged by the IC and good on them. I think his transcripts calls will always come out.

You never tell anyone where your submarines are. Kind of the point of them. Difficult to hide a Nimitz and a battle group, subs, not so much.

Yeah, I mean, with intelligence like that are you supposed to just rely on the foreign leader not wanting to brag about how much they know to people you don't want the information reaching?

AmyS

Are these Los Angeles class, Seawolf class or Virgina class attack subs,
or the WW3-starting trident missile subs (Ohio class) the "boomers" armed with nuclear tipped SLBMs ?

It makes all the difference.

But I doubt Trump knows the difference.

or the WW3-starting trident missile subs (Ohio class) the "boomers" armed with nuclear tipped SLBMs ?

They're the BEST ones.

Whichever those are.

Meh, I thought you said "sells" for a second.

Big fucking deal. China has quiet diesel electric subs too. Plus subs are not very effective in the NK situation.

Imagine if Trump was president during World War II.

IMAGINE IT.
Imagining a President Trump during the Cuban Missile Crisis gives me nightmares.

For those not up to speed on that bit of our history, watch the movie "Thirteen Days"

Then imagine Trump.

Then enjoy watching the sunrise because you won't be getting any sleep.

4Tran

Imagine if Trump was president during World War II.

IMAGINE IT.
He'd call up Stalin and boast about how awesome the nuclear bombs are for sure.

For the sake of our collective sanity, it's unlikely to be a boomer because there's no reason to station one near hostile waters and because there's no reason anyone would tell Trump about where they are. That leaves us with either guided missile or attack subs. Since there are supposed to be two of them, it's likely going to be one of each.

Meh, I thought you said "sells" for a second.

Big fucking deal. China has quiet diesel electric subs too. Plus subs are not very effective in the NK situation.
Guided missile subs fire Tomahawk missiles so they would be ideal for limited attacks like the one against Syria.

Guided missile subs fire Tomahawk missiles so they would be ideal for limited attacks like the one against Syria.

Limited attack doesn't work for NK, because they have no fucking idea when fat kim is. If they want to destroy the missile launch sites, they don't need to use subs.

4Tran

Not enough armaments in some subs to have any meaningful result. These would certainly be for a retaliatory strike, or even first use.
No, but Trump doesn't seem to think in terms of meaningful results, so this would be perfect. Besides, if the US did want to attack in force, sea-launched Tomahawks will be the first wave of attacks, and a SSGN can supplement what a carrier battlegroup can launch.

It should also be noted that the attack on Syria was just 59 Tomahawks and an Ohio SSGN carries 174 of them.

pantsmith

So the New York Times must have a hell of a source in US intelligence. First they post photos from the investigation into a terrorist attack, now they're posting quotes from a transcript of a phone conversion between the president and Duterte. Insane.

Or the other way around, whistle blowers generally speak up when there is a problem, and they're just going to the Times because they have the reputation.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
the worst hot take of all time

imagine the cuban missile crisis
Fucking hell.

I'd like to think that if that happened, the intelligence agencies just lock Trump in a padded room with a foam phone, and then form a small team to figure out what to do themselves.

The alternative is too horrifying to consider.

Uhyve

Or the other way around, whistle blowers generally speak up when there is a problem, and they're just going to the Times because they have the reputation.
True. The Manchester ones don't seem so whistleblower-y though, probably different leakers of course. Just weird seeing so many leaks from the US lately.

Guy.brush

What are the chances Putin realized in the last week that he needs to go bigger with Trump?
Fuck the Exxon oil deal, fuck lifting sanctions or condoning Ukraine crimea invasion.

Putin must know he will never ever get another 100% predictable dimwit like Trump in the White House ever again, not in his life time.
He is probably planning to goad Trump into something really, really stupid.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
What would be considered "really, really stupid" coming from someone like Trump though? Fucking everything he's doing would be considered really, really stupid already.

Unless it's something like "give the Russians direct, unlimited access to every US intelligence agency data store" or something like that, I'm not sure how you can top what Trump is already doing.

Top Bottom