• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to announce 'path forward' for US in Afghanistan

Tovarisc

reminder that the only reason they are scrambling to come up with a plan is because Trump rejected anything he thought was too close to Obama's. ISIS too

Also, Erik Prince is Betsy Devos' brother

Plan they are using against ISIS is basically Obama's plan he never had time to execute, they just reworded it here and there. Basically.

Afghanistan isn't necessarily hard to get under control its Unifying the people to a singular cause that is a problem especially when Outside forces are just as interested in disorganization. US interfered heavily when Russia Invaded and now Russia helps the Taliban quite a bit as revenge.

Afghanistan is in a vital spot geopolitically which pretty much means fuckery is inevitable and the people suffer. Always heartbreaking to see what Afghanistan used to beand what it has turned into

Proxy wars are so neat, aren't they?

Linkura

3TbW99h_d.jpg

XS5LK.gif

Oberon

Banned
it's always popular

just look at how many people here think invading syria and/or north korea makes sense

Most people also probably think it's "Just get in there and kill the bad guys". It's easy to not think about it more when it happens far away.

it's always popular

just look at how many people here think invading syria and/or north korea makes sense

It's not going to be popular. He's going to validate the fears on the alt right that the WH has been taken over by the military ((((((GLOBALISTS)))))) and why it is they are purging the economic/nationalist populists like Bannon. No one wants their kids in that shithole it's a lost cause. Erik Prince can have it let his soldiers of fortune die there at least for them it was a choice of employment.

Afghanistan is in a vital spot geopolitically which pretty much means fuckery is inevitable and the people suffer. Always heartbreaking to see what Afghanistan used to beand what it has turned into

Indeed. So long as it sits at the confluence of the Middle East, South Asia, and Russia, I can't see it being anything but a trash fire with its current actors.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Hmm, the guy who said that the US should have taken the oil in Iraq, is going to announce a new American strategy for Afghanistan.

"Guys, after careful consideration with my advisors and generals. We have decided that from now on..."

*11 minutes later*

"...Afghanistan will pay in tribute to the United States, 33% of all profits gained from their natural resources. Make America Great Again! #Winning."

Cocaloch

aeolist is a concern troll and just posts a lot of nonsense. Don't get baited into something with him

Did you quote the right person? The poster he was quoting didn't say anything particularly egregious as far as I can tell. War had traditionally been pretty popular in American culture. Its very sense of self stems from three major wars.

Handing the war effort over to Blackwater.
Yup it's gonna save us tremendous amounts of money, tremendous amounts. And Erik says he won't kill anyone! He's a good guy! The best! The Afghans are gonna have so much freedom! Their gonna get tired of the freedom it's gonna be so much!

aeolist

Banned
It's not going to be popular. He's going to validate the fears on the alt right that the WH has been taken over by the military ((((((GLOBALISTS)))))) and why it is they are purging the economic/nationalist populists like Bannon. No one wants their kids in that shithole it's a lost cause. Erik Prince can have it let his soldiers of fortune die there at least for them it was a choice of employment.

uh we don't have a conscript army, they all "chose" it as a profession as well (as much as anyone not in the ruling class can choose their profession in our society).

and saying "let prince have afghanistan" is appalling when he'll be murdering and brutalizing those people in our name, paid by our tax money. privatization is entirely about lowering standards and funneling public money into private hands, which makes this a change from incredibly awful to somehow even worse.

Mr Swine

Banned
At one point in this 16 year long war, what if Trump just decides to nuke Afghanistan? Just for the heck of it? Can his Generals say no to him?

Tovarisc

Definitely seems like he's either throwing Ryan a lifeline to get out of some of it or spitting in his face. I can't tell which, but I'm leaning toward the latter.

Or Trumps handlers just couldn't find new coloring books for that evening so they scheduled something for Donny to do instead of letting him watch CNN again?

At one point in this 16 year long war, what if Trump just decides to nuke Afghanistan? Just for the heck of it? Can his Generals say no to him?

In theory sure, but in practice they wont.

Shauni

Did you quote the right person? The poster he was quoting didn't say anything particularly egregious as far as I can tell. War had traditionally been pretty popular in American culture. Its very sense of self stems from three major wars.

I didn't quote the wrong person, no. What I said stands, and anyone who actually followed what happened with the Syria strikes knows what I'm talking about. aeolist is just full of shit, like most of the time.

Hazmat

Odds of him saying there are good people on both sides? Or just completely forgetting what he was there for and talking about Nazis without condemning them again?

Nipo

Bannon wanted nothing to do with whatever the plan it. Going to be interesting to see brietbart next week.

Cocaloch

I didn't quote the wrong person, no. What I said stands, and anyone who actually followed what happened with the Syria strikes knows what I'm talking about. aeolist is just full of shit, like most of the time.

I can't speak as to that poster generally, but I certainly don't see how he said anything wrong in this thread.

American culture being fairly martially oriented doesn't mean Americans have to be totally on board with any military action.

Shauni

I can't speak as to that poster generally, but I certainly don't see how he said anything wrong in this thread.

American culture being fairly martially oriented doesn't mean Americans have to be totally on board with any military action.

Then you're probably not really reading what he's saying. 'It will always be popular.' Uh, no, it won't. His strikes on Syria weren't popular, and pretty much no war that Trump gets us into will be hugely popular, because it's not something large groups of people want and he's burned any kind of face with those who are already against him to rally them to his side in that event.

The hell is even our objective in Afghanistan at this point? What constitutes "winning"?

Stability and confidence that their government can maintain their own sovereignty after we leave. If we leave Afghanistan we don't want it to quickly fall over like South Vietnam or in some ways Iraq losing 40-50% of its territory to ISIS from 2011-present (and still fighting to retake land right now. I remember news reports about a possible ISIS siege of Baghdad when they were still expanding.) and then become a haven for future terrorist groups.

Cocaloch

He said

it's always popular

in response to

Let me guess, more war? Genius. Only been 16 years of it let's just keep going.

Then you're probably not really reading what he's saying. 'It will always be popular.' Uh, no, it won't. His strikes on Syria weren't popular, and pretty much no war that Trump gets us into will be hugely popular, because it's not something large groups of people want and he's burned any kind of face with those who are already against him to rally them to his side in that event.

He seems to be saying military responses in general are popular with a bit of hyperbole. I do think there's a good chance that Trump would not be able to start a popular war, if by popular you are narrowly defining it to mean more supporting it than against it, but I also think that's mostly because people dislike Trump. That's saying far more about Trump than about America's attitude towards war more generally.

Oozer3993

Odds of him saying there are good people on both sides? Or just completely forgetting what he was there for and talking about Nazis without condemning them again?

He'll stick to a script and look miserable doing it. Then during his rally the next day he'll spout some crazy stuff, call the plan "tremendous, the best plan we've ever had for Afganistan," say it will "end the war, something Obama could never do," imply that we should take the country's natural resources, and of course claim there was violence on both sides in Charlottesville and that only he was brave enough to state that. And probably something about the border wall.

Tovarisc

Stability and confidence that their government can maintain their own sovereignty after we leave. If we leave Afghanistan we don't want it to quickly fall over like South Vietnam or in some ways Iraq losing 40-50% of its territory to ISIS from 2011-present (and still fighting to retake land right now. I remember news reports about a possible ISIS siege of Baghdad when they were still expanding.) and then become a haven for future terrorist groups.

So... never winning or leaving?

Afghanistan is so shredded after Russia and US took turns on it, Russia still in play by making it proxy war.

aeolist

Banned
He said

in response to

He seems to be saying military responses in general are popular with a bit of hyperbole. I do think there's a good change that Trump would not be able to start a popular war, if by popular you are narrowly defining it to mean more supporting it than against it, but I also think that's mostly because people dislike Trump. That's saying far more about Trump than about America's attitude towards war more generally.

100% true

most of the democrats who criticized the syria strikes were more upset with the specifics and implementation than they were with the president unilaterally exercising military force against a sovereign country with whom we are not at war and who never attacked us.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
So... never winning or leaving?

Afghanistan is so shredded after Russia and US took turns on it, Russia still in play by making it proxy war.

Actually that's what Syria was suppose to be but America (until trump) was willing to avoid it.

Shauni

He said

in response to

He seems to be saying military responses in general are popular with a bit of hyperbole. I do think there's a good chance that Trump would not be able to start a popular war, if by popular you are narrowly defining it to mean more supporting it than against it, but I also think that's mostly because people dislike Trump. That's saying far more about Trump than about America's attitude towards war more generally.

Yes, I am narrowly defining popular as 'being popular.'

EDIT: And lol, right after you post:

100% true

most of the democrats who criticized the syria strikes were more upset with the specifics and implementation than they were with the president unilaterally exercising military force against a sovereign country with whom we are not at war and who never attacked us.

This is who you are trying to defend, man.

Shauni

hmu if u ever want to have a real conversation about the points i make instead of just shitting on me and calling it a day

Already made the points I needed to above, none of which you dispute, because you can't, and it's really not worth getting into any real dispute with you since you'd made yourself insanely obvious many times. So, yeah, I can 'call it a day.'

Shauni

I think you'll find there are more senses of the word popular than the something being the most well liked. Otherwise "the most popular" would be a pretty weird construction.

Generally, when I use the word 'popular' I use it to mean 'popular.' So when I say it won't be popular, I mean just that. It wouldn't be a popular thing. Not sure how or why you want to keep muddying that, but yes, when I say something won't be popular, I mean that it won't be popular. A war by Trump won't be popular for a variety of the reasons I posted above.

Cocaloch

Generally, when I use the word 'popular' I use it to mean 'popular.' So when I say it won't be popular, I mean just that. It wouldn't be a popular thing. Not sure how or why you want to keep muddying that, but yes, when I say something won't be popular, I mean that it won't be popular. A war by Trump won't be popular for a variety of the reasons I posted above.

I mean you're using a specific sense of popular. He's using another. Yours is not more correct or anything. Not that yours is wrong either, just the fact that you restrict yourself to only using one sense of a word that is pretty commonly used in different senses doesn't really say anything about anyone else being wrong.

I don't think you're wrong on that last sentence, I've already agreed with you on this front.

I also don't think that other poster is wrong. I think you're saying fundamentally different things.

Maybe changing the context will make this a bit clearer. Would you say Pokemon was popular in the 90s?

Top Bottom