• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to Appoint SCOTUS pick next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vena

I'd laugh if they accidentally put on a judge who does a complete 180 when put on the bench. Pretty sure its happened before.

jfkgoblue

That third fella sounds like the best of the bunch. Solely because of the keeping the overzelaous law enforcement and prosecuters in their place bit.
He's gonna nominate Pryor, Dems wil fillibuster, and then nominate a "compromise" pick that is akin to Scalia 2.0 and get home confirmed.
I'd laugh if they accidentally put on a judge who does a complete 180 when put on the bench. Pretty sure its happened before.
It has, Eisenhower said his biggest mistake of his presidency was "the one currently sitting on the Supreme Court"

Barzul

Scalia was a racist. Didn't even really hide it really. Anyone who is an improvement on that and I'll taper my indignation. Sounds like that's Colorado guy I guess.

roytheone

Not going to lie, I consider a country that punishes woman for having abortions to not actually be a first world country. So I hope America is actually still a first world country in my view in 4 years, but I am not sure of that at all.

Balphon

Souter is the most recent example. Most notable historically are probably Earl Warren and Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Though it's less of a case of the judge doing an ideological 180 than it is the President misreading the likelihood that they would agree with him.

Protome

It'll probably be the one who hates women who gets it. Trump has already went pretty hard anti-abortion/anti-women so far.

He is a strict adherent of "originalism," Scalia's belief that the Constitution should be interpreted based on the intent of the Founders.

I feel like this is the kinda nonsense that can only happen in a country as young as the USA. Interpreting documents like that without taking into context the differences of modern civilization is just straight up stupid.

Not

Banned
Goddammit, Pryor's only 54

Not going to lie, I consider a country that punishes woman for having abortions to not actually be a first world country. So I hope America is actually still a first world country in my view in 4 years, but I am not sure of that at all.

As of this week, we're not a first-world country.

I think America has just to accept the SCOTUS will be conservative for a decade or so
The only older judges are all left leaning and one wild card in Kennedy. At least one of them is likely to be replaced by Trump as well and when that happens it will likely be at least 20 years before we can replace another conservative justice and that is assuming they do not have the opportunity to retire under another Republican president in a timeframe that large. Realistically, we might be lookinh at a conservative court for 50+ years.

It'll probably be the one who hates women who gets it. Trump has already went pretty hard anti-abortion/anti-women so far.

I feel like this is the kinda nonsense that can only happen in a country as young as the USA. Interpreting documents like that without taking into context the differences of modern civilization is just straight up stupid.
The constitution does have an amendment process to allow changes as civilization evolves.

Scalia's argument was always that by reinterpreting the constitution to create new rights not found in the text, the court was acting outside the democratic process. He didn't oppose amending the constitution when necessary - it isn't holy writ.

Too be fair, many of the changes the court has pushed through as "constitutional" over the last decades would never have passed through the amendment process at the time they were made, since they were too controversial and unpopular when the decision was handed down (e.g. abortion polls have remained relatively static and there would never have been enough support to enact a constitutional amendment to guarantee either a right to abortion or the opposite)

Some of them may have happened democratically through congress or state legislatures if the courts had just waited a while longer though, whereas others (such as the temporary abolition of capital punishment that a later court overturned) have never reached consensus in American society.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom