• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to Appoint SCOTUS pick next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

It'll probably be Gorsuch, if only because he's the youngest and will be the longest lasting element of Trump's presidency (he'll likely serve on the bench for 35-40 years), which you know is probably the first thing on Trump's mind.

Linkura

I'm just going to assume that it's going to be the worst possible person to pick, like nearly all of Trump's picks. Mattis was a fluke.

Blader

So what prevented Obama from doing the emergency appointment?

The GOP has been exploiting a rule to keep Congress technically in session for the past year. There was no recess for Obama to appoint someone in, and it was never a real scenario.

darkwing

The GOP has been exploiting a rule to keep Congress technically in session for the past year. There was no recess for Obama to appoint someone in, and it was never a real scenario.

I assume this is not possible now because Congress is controlled by the GOP?

yup America you bleeped up

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's probably going to be Victor Von Doom at this point

I'm going with Pinhead.

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, Joey, and its sound is like razors through flesh.
Human dreams... such fertile ground for the seeds of torment. You're so ripe Joey, and it's harvest time.
Down the dark decades of your pain, this will seem like a memory of Heaven.

kFyqyvQ.jpg

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Really? Aww that sucks.

Ac30

Obama technically had 1 minute to appoint him.

ShyMel

But Pryor is controversial: He once criticized the Supreme Court’s 1973 decision in Roe v. Wade, which legalized abortion, as “the worst abomination of constitutional law in our history.”
I'm going to guess it'll be him or someone worse.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well at least the women's march brought me a brief moment of actual happiness. Reality is back and so time to return to utter despair.

Probably will be Gorsuch just because if Pryor is chosen his past comments might cause Collins and Murkowski to defect and complicate the process. Of course this is Trump so who knows if he is thinking of congressional strategy and even if those two defect someone like Manchin might cross lines as well to vote for and of course Pence has the tie breaker.

It's probably going to be Victor Von Doom at this point

I'd rather have Doom than the ultra conservative/Trump colon licker DT will shove into the SCOTUS seat.

Fuck everyone who didn't vote, losing a SCOTUS seat to a Republican pick will probably fuck us over in the coming decades.

legacyzero

Banned
Ann Coulter? Anyone?

I mean.. I wouldn't be surprised at this point. He'll hire dumb-fuck DeVos, and a white supremacist from Breitbart. Anything goes at this point.

Blader

Obama technically had 1 minute to appoint him.

An appointment that could've been nullified as soon as January 20th and as late as January 2018, in which case Trump gets his SCOTUS pick anyway except now we've also vacated a valuable spot in the D.C. appeals court that Trump could also fill with a young Scalia 2.0.

Curiously, googling "obama merrick garland one minute" turns up a lot of conservative outlets freaking out over it. :lol

I can't believe these gaping assholes, who won't shut up about the fucking Constitution, flagrantly stole a SCOTUS pick from Obama. Plus dozens of other federal judgeships.

Aurongel

Got such is the name I heard floated previous largely because of his positions on abortion and his age.

Of all the things Trump is doing, the SCOTUS nomination is the one I look at that has a level of permanence none of his other decisions do.

Democrats better filibuster the shit out of this. This was Obama's pick. With the new standard created by the GOP, I expect all picks going forward will receive partisan approval only.

studyguy

Democrats better filibuster the shit out of this. This was Obama's pick. With the new standard created by the GOP, I expect all picks going forward will receive partisan approval only.

Even if they do stonewall forever, the nuclear option is always there and I don't trust the GOP not to use it despite how critical they are of it.

At that point it's a loss for both sides to basically shove appointments down everyone's throats.

I can't believe these gaping assholes, who won't shut up about the fucking Constitution, flagrantly stole a SCOTUS pick from Obama. Plus dozens of other federal judgeships.

It was pure theft. I don't know why he didn't use Executive Power to appoint a pick

Neil Gorsuch, Colorado, 10th Circuit: At 49 the youngest of the group, Gorsuch is the most natural replacement among them for the late Justice Antonin Scalia. He is a strict adherent of "originalism," Scalia’s belief that the Constitution should be interpreted based on the intent of the Founders. He also is a distinctive writer, as Scalia was.

I can almost see the shit-excuses coming over the mountain:

Do you see the words CLIMATE CHANGE anywhere here on this constitution?

slit

They should but they won't. They won't go "low" which is why they mostly lose.

Blader

I'm torn on whether Senate Dems should use the filibuster to block this, or any far-right Trump nominee. On the one hand, doing so will make it much easier for Senate Rs to nuke the filibuster, in which case they'll be able to push the craziest SCOTUS picks possible onto the bench as long as they hold a slim majority. On the other hand, if you're not going to block Republicans for fear of them nuking the filibuster, then what good is the filibuster at all?

My guess is that Schumer will let this one go, because it doesn't upset the status quo at all (i.e. trading Scalia for Scalia 2.0), but then invoke the filibuster in the event that Ginsburg or Breyer step down and Trump tries to fill those vacancies with one of his lunatics.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Judge Reinhold is probably the most likely, Trump having bumped into him many times over the years at parties and never realizing he's not an actual judge.

br3wnor

Even if they do stonewall forever, the nuclear option is always there and I don't trust the GOP not to use it despite how critical they are of it.

At that point it's a loss for both sides to basically shove appointments down everyone's throats.

It'll be interesting to see what the Repubs do w/ the fillibuster. Democrats already regret nuking it for nominations as was seen by their complete inability to stop any of the cabinet picks. Do it in the Senate formally and you're opening a whole new can of worms. Might be worth it to them in order to jam as much legislation as possible in the next 2 years to gut taxes, healthcare and entitlements. Even if they lose the majority, they'll have gotten decades worth of Republican agenda items in one session. Could easily swing back the other way though and put Democrats in a position to go the other way in 4 years if they can get the WH and slim majorities in Congress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom