• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to declassify JFK files

jetsetrez

Man, it disgusts me so much that Trump is able to say "as president" and be referring to himself. I will be so disappointed if he gets no repercussion for what he has done to this country, and gets to come out of this thinking he was the greatest thing that ever happened.

chaos789

Banned
Were not the JFk files scheduled to be declassified anyway? I recall Herbert Walker Bush or Clinton pushing for declassification before 2020.

This is good. It was suspected trump would block their release.

Good timing with the release of the upcoming movie version of 'So I heard you paint houses' the autobiography of the mobster/teamster muscle who killed Jimmy Hoffa, and strongly implies that the Teamsters and NE mob had Kennedy killed and then we're involved in Oswald's assassination.

What’s the point of this again?

Democracy, transparency.

It's not that Trump is releasing them, it's that he's not blocking their release. The period of these files being classified had been extended 25 years ago, and a bipartisan request was made by Congress to not block their release. It was suspected that Trump would block the release.

Agent Oswald fucked with both CIA and KGB yet people believe he acted alone. *shrug*

I'm guessing revenge for Bay of Pigs or Castro/KGB clapped him and our government was too embarrassed to admit it.

KHarvey16

Agent Oswald fucked with both CIA and KGB yet people believe he acted alone. *shrug*

I'm guessing revenge for Bay of Pigs or Castro/KGB clapped him and our government was too embarrassed to admit it.

People believe he was the only shooter. Which we know he was. Whether there were conspirators behind the scenes is less certain but the public evidence doesn't really support it currently.

Cuburt

I thought this was already happening anyways.

It's bullshit that he just gets to take credit and people will believe it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I knew it was happening soon, but damn, not 'next week' soon. I hope they are released fully, but I'm not holding my breath.

Any sitting president gets the credit when things like this happen under their administration as well as all the fuck ups he’s associated with too

People believe he was the only shooter. Which we know he was. Whether there were conspirators behind the scenes is less certain but the public evidence doesn't really support it currently.
I'm all in on lone shooter. I was just never aware of Oswald's intelligence community links as a kid. Since then I've found it hard to believe that he didn't conspire with others, especially after watching The Americans and how complex the spy game can be.

Holy shit, we've found the first thing that trump might be better on than Hillary. don't know for sure obv but I reckon she would have blocked it.

RyanW

I thought this was already happening anyways.

It's bullshit that he just gets to take credit and people will believe it.
Yep. This is basically him saying “I’m not going to sign something preventing these from being released.”

But his voters aren’t going to realize this

Balphon

This has been an ongoing process for decades, this is just the final batch that was already marked for release this year.

Trump might see this as a good tool depending on what's in there to smear the FBI and CIA, who he is constantly at war with anyway.

Why would she do that?

It doesn't seem like she would have rocked the boat when it comes to the intelligence community (which would have been better for the vast majority of things) and if they don't want it released I'd imagine there'd be a better chance of leaning on her than there would be with trump. obv we'll never know, and he shouldn't deserve credit just for not doing a crap thing for once.

norinrad

Holy shit, we've found the first thing that trump might be better on than Hillary. don't know for sure obv but I reckon she would have blocked it.

Obama did block the Malcolm X files. Sometimes it is necessary to not allow certain information out in the open. Trump could be opening a Pandora's box here.

Machina

Banned
It would be very interesting if Trump was doing this to stick the boot into the intelligence establishment like the FBI and CIA.

Loxley

It would be very interesting if Trump was doing this to stick the boot into the intelligence establishment like the FBI and CIA.

This honestly has nothing to do with Trump, the documents were set to be declassified this year a long time ago. Trump is just making it sound like this was his idea.

Kurdel

Banned
So great that this releases before Mario Odysee, it will power through those last painful hours before release!

This honestly has nothing to do with Trump, the documents were set to be declassified this year a long time ago. Trump is just making it sound like this was his idea.

He still had the power to withhold some documents.

Cocaloch

My guess is riots in the streets and what not.

So the current actors in the state? This logic justifies all sorts of impropriety. The developed states in the world are generally better than what they followed because there is some sense of legitimacy in their actions and some ability of the people to them accountable for those actions.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
If there's anything to declassify of course *X-Files theme*

But seriously if there's anything that's like the one good thing I'd trust Trump to do. In fact knowing the absolute panic it would cause I'm baffled he hasn't done it already.

LMAO, pathetic

There's no way they trust him with any of the UFO stuff.

WTF? Why isn't this a bigger thread?
The intelligence agencies do not want this to be released.
I guess because it will implicate communists?

This thread isn't bigger probably because a lot of GAF is young. As a kid in the early 80s I remember going through my parents JFK books, prompting curiosity. As time goes on these events seem distant and "less important"?

A thread on 2pac and Biggie would have just as many pages.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Obama did block the Malcolm X files. Sometimes it is necessary to not allow certain information out in the open. Trump could be opening a Pandora's box here.

Obama heeded anything that the CIA suggested him. His administration helped cover-up the CIA spying on Congress, for instance. All to prevent national shame. I wouldn't be surprised if, in a hypothetical situation, Obama would block the JFK files release if the CIA/FBI didn't want them out there if they showed incompetence from those agencies.

oatmeal

Banned
ted-cruz-dad.gif

lol

This is hilarious.

Top Bottom