• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to release 2016 taxes? Nope. Those are under audit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house-says-trump-wont-release-2016-taxes-either-202005467.html

White House press secretary Sean Spicer said Monday afternoon that President Trump does not plan to release his 2016 tax returns.

During the daily press briefing, Eamon Javers, the Washington correspondent for CNBC, asked Spicer if the president would release his tax documents for 2016 ”given that we can assume maybe that those are not themselves under audit."

Spicer quickly rejected the premise of the question.

”The president is under audit. It's a routine one. It continues and I think the American public know clearly where he stands. This is something that he made very clear during the election cycle," Spicer said. ”I think the people understand how successful the president's been and how much he's paid in taxes. We're under the same audit that existed, and so nothing has changed."

Jonathan Karl, the chief White House correspondent for ABC News, brought up the concern about Trump's taxes later in the Monday press briefing.

He pointed out that Spicer has been asked about Trump's taxes ”obviously a thousand times" and suggested it might be time for him to clearly state that the president has no intention of ever releasing his tax returns.

”We'll have to get back to you on that," Spicer replied.

”If you want. ... I mean, really?" Karl said.

”Really," he said.

”So he may?" Karl asked.

”No, I said, ‘I'd have to get back to you on that.' I think that he is still under audit. The statement still stands," Spicer said.

It's impossible to conclude any wrong doing if the audit runs for eternity.

It's actually genius.

He's like a smart guy.

Maybe by 2020 they'll have finished reading the first paragraph.

RPGCrazied

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump

TRUMP APPROVAL HITS 50%

Just now. Lol

And there are reasons why he won't show them. Not a billionaire, greedy as fuck and I'm sure there is evidence of Russia dealings.

Brakke

Banned
Isn't Trump's whole pitch that he understands the broken system so he can fix it (lol)? Where's the IRS Audit Process Reform Act 2017? Clearly the audit process doesn't work if they carry on forever.

Also astounding he keeps offering this defense, that everyone knows is nonsense since like a day after he first said it months and months ago.

cameron

He'll gladly release them when the audit ends. He can't release them now, because they're being audited. When the audit ends, he'll release them. Ipso facto. Bigly.

BasicMath

They're not getting released unless there's like nothing on them and they need a huge distraction or a court orders it.
Can't the IRS just "leak" them?
Not if they value their existence. As in, Reps will cut the budget of the IRS so hard they'd only still exist in theory.

which has been and always will be a lie/excuse as he'll never release them

if he had any shred of integrity, he'd release past years where the audit is done but he won't

Shadybiz

Yeah, he was never going to do it. We already know that a bunch of tax attorneys have stated that it doesn't matter whether he was under audit or not; he could have released them if he wanted to.

And the whole audit excuse ignores the fact that many PREVIOUS years of returns wouldn't still be under audit, so he could have easily released those either way.

They're never coming out unless someone leaks them, which is hard for the IRS to do, since there is...heh...an audit trail, of people who would have had their hands on the returns (not all that many people).

I can't imagine the IRS not already disclosing Trump's tax returns to the IC by this point.

When the investigation they're conducting reaches a head, we'll probably see these returns in the open.

Jenov

He can still release them, audit or not. He's just a fucking liar and will never willfully release them because there's most likely some unflattering or downright criminal shit in them.

Acorn

He can still release them, audit or not. He's just a fucking liar and will never willfully release them because there's most likely some unflattering or downright criminal shit in them.
On pod save America they basically said that there is too many copies of his tax returns out there to not eventually get leaked.

I'm hopeful but not sure I agree.

Ri'Orius

I think the American public know clearly where he stands.

Yup. We do.

Also, hilariously followed by:

“No, I said, ‘I’d have to get back to you on that.’ I think that he is still under audit. The statement still stands,”

"I'm not going to clarify where he stands, but I think the American public know clearly where he stands."

Not false, but hilarious all the same.

OK: new strat.

We constantly insinuate he's not actually a billionaire or was but only in small stretches in the past.

Fun side effect: he wont voluntarily do so, but it paints him a failure at business and he cant do anything without revealing all the dirt.

TaterTots

Banned
Trumps tax returns are the new Obama birth certificate. Trump did release tax returns, but they were from years ago.

EDIT; He didn't release them, it was leaked.

Surfinn

The fact that it's this fucking difficult for him to release it says everything IMO.

Any person with nothing big to hide would have released them before it was even an issue.

Now in April 2017 we have dumbshit Spicer still talking about audits

TaterTots

Banned
The fact that it's this fucking difficult for him to release it says everything IMO.

Any person with nothing big to hide would have released them before it was even an issue.

Now in April 2017 we have dumbshit Spicer still talking about audits

People said the same thing about Obama's birth certificate. To us, he is obviously American, but he did delay it for a bit which raised suspicion.

Surfinn

People said the same thing about Obama's birth certificate. To us, he is obviously American, but he did delay it for a bit which raised suspicion.

Why are people still comparing Obama's birth certificate to something as simple as releasing tax returns which every single president has done without issue for like 40 years?

People wanted Obama's certificate because he's brown and has a "suspicious" name. People want Trumps taxes because he won't release them.

Beartruck

Just now. Lol

And there are reasons why he won't show them. Not a billionaire, greedy as fuck and I'm sure there is evidence of Russia dealings.

50% with rasmussen. Every other place is around 43, lol.

Also, every President's taxes are audited by default, so he's not bullshitting.

geomon

To whom? Let's be clear about something. Obama, and every other person running for President of the United States before him, was under no obligation to show proof of citizenship unless challenged through the court. States didn't even ask for a birth certificate to qualify for the ballot.

This wasn't an issue until some very scared white people ran to court and started throwing lawsuit after lawsuit after lawsuit. It got so bad that Hawaii passed laws saying they can ignore any court order on this issue because it was such a fucking drain on state funds.

Notice how nobody had a fucking problem with John McCain's place of birth? Why do you think that is?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I'm too mad to respond and I actually don't blame you for saying this but that is not what happened and is a fantastically bad comparison. You should read up on what actually happened and why it's a horrific comparison.

kirby_fox

Banned
They should conclude the audit, let someone ask about releasing taxes, and then audit him again after we get a response.

Especially if he actually releases them and suddenly people find wrongdoings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom