• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to Sign Executive Order on Health Care

Would give people the ability to get health insurance from providers outside their state.

"I'll probably be signing a very major executive order where people can go out, cross state lines, do lots of things and buy their own health care, and that will be probably signed next week," he told reporters Wednesday. "It's being finished now. It's going to cover a lot of territory and a lot of people. Millions of people."

Trump now seems to be backing health insurance reforms pushed by Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky. Paul, who opposed the Senate repeal bill, wants insurers to be allowed to sell policies across state lines and for people to be able to form groups to buy coverage.
"I believe President Trump can legalize on his own the ability of individuals to join a group or health association across state lines to buy insurance," Paul said on MSNBC Wednesday. "This would bring enormous leverage to bringing down prices. It would also bring protection to individuals who feel left out, hung out to dry, basically."

Supporters argue that selling across state lines would promote competition, increase consumer choice and reduce rates. Residents would have a wider array of plans to choose from that meet their health care needs and budget.
Opponents, however, say that it would split the market so that healthier folks would flock to the skinnier plans, while the sick would stay in the more comprehensive plans, pushing up their rates even more. Or, sicker Americans would flock to the states that require insurers to provide more services, jacking up premiums there.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/27/news/economy/trump-executive-order-health-care/index.html

Opponents, however, say that it would split the market so that healthier folks would flock to the skinnier plans, while the sick would stay in the more comprehensive plans, pushing up their rates even more. Or, sicker Americans would flock to the states that require insurers to provide more services, jacking up premiums there.

Everything I hear about American health insurance market makes it sound like a regulatory nightmare tbqh.

Plumbob

This sounds like a good idea to me, unless I'm missing something. Wouldn't this increase the number of providers in states with very few?

Everything I hear about American health insurance market makes it sound like a regulatory nightmare tbqh.

It's seriously one of the worst systems ever created and is a chief contributor to financial debt/bankruptcy declarations and lack of economic mobility.

But so many folks would rather keep it like this than see those "others" (read: black, brown folks) get something for "free"

Dyle

And Republicans dare to say Obamacare is in a death spiral

Zzoram

It's way less efficient than a single payer government system. US hospitals have way more staff and time devoted to billing, which adds huge cost for no healthcare benefit.

Ogodei

The law that Rand Paul is referring to covers only a narrow selection of group insurance plans, if i understand it right.

BriGuy

Before all is said and done, the GOP and Trump will have unintentionally made a stronger case for single-payer than the Democrats ever could. And it will be hilarious.

Tripon

Uh, current health laws allow this already. Companies don't want to do it because any plan you buy everything. Across health plans still has to comply with those states rules.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
you do realize that doing this will only mean monopolies can bunch up together wherever they want right as opposed to being segregated into specific states, which means they can more easily box people in? Of course rand and trump know that, because its beneficial to the industry to collude in that manner

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yes. It's a mess, and it's why there are no "easy fixes" for it.

Well, single payer certainly would not be easy to implement considering the opposition, but its a good solution. Private insurers and their monpoly powers are a big source of the problem, as well as the employer based system

Before all is said and done, the GOP and Trump will have unintentionally made a stronger case for single-payer than the Democrats ever could. And it will be hilarious.

They have already gone a fair distance by trying to repeal the ACA

mj1108

This sounds like a good idea to me, unless I'm missing something. Wouldn't this increase the number of providers in states with very few?

The only reason the GOP wants to allow this is it would let insurers setup shop in states with fewer consumer-friendly regulations. This would follow in the footsteps of the credit card industry, who has a huge presence in South Dakota.

KingV

This is already allowed via the ACA.

But insurers don’t actually do it, primarily because it is expensive and hard as shit to maintain a national provider network.

mj1108

This is already allowed via the ACA.

But insurers don’t actually do it, primarily because it is expensive and hard as shit to maintain a national provider network.

So then this is just Trump doing this for show....just like everything else.

cryptic

So I'm living in new York but kept my health care from Massachusetts, would this mean I'm eligible to see a doctor/psychiatrist?
If so, thanks trump.

besada

Banned
Selling across state lines has long been a Republican plan. It will create disastrous consequences of reduced quality of care for virtually everyone, as insurance companies relocate to the states with the least regulations on insurance, which will in turn cause states to start gutting regulations in the hopes of luring insurance business.

This is classic Republican race to the bottom ideology. For years, this and capping tort reform have been their only suggestions, both designed to benefit the healthcare and insurance industries at the expense of quality of care.

It's good news for Louisiana, New York, Texas, Florida, California, Hawaii and Montana, which have the least regulations on insurance, but bad news for everyone else if it turns out to be legal.

This is extremely stupid but if it will finally get Republicans to shut the fuck up and be easy to revert in 2021 then I'm okay with it.

Can’t wait for all the insurance companies to move to the one most lenient state available to them.

Why do you think all credit card companies are in Delaware?

lenovox1

Supporters argue that selling across state lines would promote competition, increase consumer choice and reduce rates. Residents would have a wider array of plans to choose from that meet their health care needs and budget.

Neither is probably going to come to fruition. The vast majority of people that don't get insurance through their employer will probably stick with whatever the state or federal marketplace offers because of the whole "in-network/out-of-network" BS we all have to go through.

lenovox1

So I'm living in new York but kept my health care from Massachusetts, would this mean I'm eligible to see a doctor/psychiatrist?
If so, thanks trump.

That stuff shouldn't be effected by this EO. Your insurer still has to set up relationships with each and every doctor, hospital, practice, etc. that they have in their network.

Selling across state lines has long been a Republican plan. It will create disastrous consequences of reduced quality of care for virtually everyone, as insurance companies relocate to the states with the least regulations on insurance, which will in turn cause states to start gutting regulations in the hopes of luring insurance business.

This is classic Republican race to the bottom ideology. For years, this and capping tort reform have been their only suggestions, both designed to benefit the healthcare and insurance industries at the expense of quality of care.

It's good news for Louisiana, New York, Texas, Florida, California, Hawaii and Montana, which have the least regulations on insurance, but bad news for everyone else if it turns out to be legal.
This is impossible in the near future because of how the health industry operates locally. We may see healthcare something like that eventually, but being based out of your network is a nightmare and has to be done slowly

that's not unique to america though, there's 18 public insurance companies in my country of just 8 million people. 1 per state for 9 total, 1 for self employed, 1 for civil servants, 1 for farmers and then 6 just responsible for workers of certain companies.

You don't get to choose which.

Top Bottom