• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump transition officials ordered to save Russia documents

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...aides-volunteers-save-russia-documents-239624

Aides and volunteers on Donald Trump’s presidential transition were instructed Thursday to save any records related to “several pending investigations into potential attempts by Russia interests to influence the 2016 election,” according to a memo provided to POLITICO.

In the memo from a transition lawyer, campaign officials were told to preserve all documents related to the Russian Federation, Ukraine and a number of campaign advisers and officials, including former campaign manager Paul Manafort, advisers Carter Page, Rick Gates and Roger Stone, and former national security adviser Gen. Michael Flynn.

The memo came from Kory Langhofer of an Arizona law firm called Statecraft. Langhofer confirmed he wrote the memo but declined to comment. Langhofer was previously a lawyer on Mitt Romney’s 2012 campaign and Carly Fiorina’s 2016 presidential bid.

Lowmelody

I bet at least a few of them were way ahead of such orders and have been sitting on some shit that didn't smell right.

Someone had a perfect Mueller fused Judge Dredd picture in one thread and I thought I saved it. I feel like that picture needs to posted in every one of these threads

New002

Speak up, I can't hear you over the shredder.

Not just any Shredder...

tumblr_m7yvfliLe71rrlrnjo1_500.gif

_Ryo_

Trump on Twitter in 3 hours: "The crooked lawyers say save papers but those who are loyal destroy fake news. "

Yeah. It is incoherent.

Paz

It's pretty wild to think that a political party supported by nearly 50% of voters that runs on a political platform of bullshit patriotism/nationalism might have sold out their country to a foreign power just to get in to office.

GhaleonEB

It's pretty wild to think that a political party supported by nearly 50% of voters that runs on a political platform of bullshit patriotism/nationalism might have sold out their country to a foreign power just to get in to office.

I think we can drop the "might have" at this point, but otherwise, agreed. I still can't wrap my head around it.

in reality it is, but in a "truth is stranger than fiction" sense, and looking at the state of the current republican party, it isn't too far of a stretch

reckless

Wouldn't everything be shredded by now? At least if the transition team was smart (which i guess could be the problem with this idea)

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
What's stopping them from mass shredding/deleting/"bleaching"/"losing" these docs?

Because they aren't invested in flushing away their careers/lives to try and un-flood a sinking ship.

A drowning man has too much water and they are already thirsting for air.

RDreamer

Wait... they were only just now ordered to save them? Doesn't that seem a bit late in the process? I mean Flynn was part of the transition and as far as we know he's in some pretty big criminal trouble already. Why weren't they asked to save them back then?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
gotta wonder if special counsel is accelerating a bit on some items due to Trump surrogates saying he should fire him/considering firing him and the leaks saying Trump is now under investigation etc

Steel

Banned
Wait... they were only just now ordered to save them? Doesn't that seem a bit late in the process? I mean Flynn was part of the transition and as far as we know he's in some pretty big criminal trouble already. Why weren't they asked to save them back then?

They were ordered by the senate to save them before this.

And what's to stop them from shoving their Russian related hardware in the microwave?

Or drilling that shit.

You get burner phones, burner laptops.

Why would you still have any kind of data at this point?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
What shocks me is that nobody has tried to save their ass with a deal yet

no one's feet is being held to the fire yet. people are going to roll over on this administration like they're going to a house party.

Weren't they ordered to do this months ago? Have they not been following the past order? That's illegal AF. They need to stop listening to Trumps ambulance chasing lawyer and realize this isn't a fucking game.

I think the big tell will be when Trumps lawyer(?) has to quit/step aside when he confesses to Trump that his kinda over his head. When that happens Trump might actually realize he's in some real shit.

EDIT: Yeah WTF here is the story. These assholes haven't been doing what they were ordered too? This is criminal boys.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/321901-ap-white-house-staff-ordered-to-preserve-russia-records

March 1 2017

White House staffers have been told to preserve any materials related to Russian intervention in the 2016 presidential election, according to The Associated Press.

The White House counsel's office handed down the order on Tuesday in a memo to aides, the news wire reported.

The move comes after Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee asked the White House and law enforcement agencies to keep materials related to Trump associates' alleged ties to Russia.

Separately, the Senate Intelligence Committee last month asked federal agencies to keep materials that tie into its investigation into Russian cyber hacking and other efforts to disrupt the election.

Democrats have feared that the White House could try to hide the extent of its links to Moscow.

Weren't they ordered to do this months ago? Have they not been following the past order? That's illegal AF. They need to stop listening to Trumps ambulance chasing lawyer and realize this isn't a fucking game.

I think the big tell will be when Trumps lawyer(?) has to quit/step aside when he confesses to Trump that his kinda over his head. When that happens Trump might actually realize he's in some real shit.

EDIT: Yeah WTF here is the story. These assholes haven't been doing what they were ordered too? This is criminal boys.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/321901-ap-white-house-staff-ordered-to-preserve-russia-records

March 1 2017
Yup, their own WH counsel ordered preservation as of March.

Ocara

Life's gonna get so boring once this all clears up.

Id happily take boring politics over this country-embarassing shitshow. In fact id rather like to not get my entertainment from any public servant ever again.

On topic, I can see the need to issie these statements publicly to have it on the record they requested no documents be destroyed, but i feel like once the investigation was started months ago that anyone inclined to do so already trashed anything incriminating.

Top Bottom