• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump "withdraws" White House invitation to Stephen Curry after Curry declines

Kusagari

Barkley has been a vocal member of the Republican party for decades, it was only recently that he distanced himself. He's still clearly conservative.

You want intelligent hot takes from a black athlete, look up Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

Edit: Trump has met with black celebrities (Kanye) and prominent members of the black community (see: all HBCU leaders in his office). He was only interested in the photo op. His campaign turned down every single invitation to have a dialogue with the black community in 2016. Every. Single. One.

And most of them come away saying Trump listened and agreed with them. He's a coward that won't confront anyone in person and will just nod along to what they're saying. It's worthless trying to engage him.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
My thing with LeBron is he normally feels the need to get in on things as an attention seeker and get some accolades from it.

I know this goes beyond sports and his history with the Warriors and even though he basically said f you to them in his own way when he had that party shitting on Curry and the rest of the team.

The thing is he's loud about it...Warriors as a whole have been classy about this and trying to go about it in a respectful way and this dude comes out with his "you a bum" and "ain't nobody trying to go there" responses. Wasn't his battle and he comes in loud and wants to get the accolades.

This is LBJs MO...has been for a long ass time.
Who gives a shit about being classy? Trump should be called out daily. Him singling out Stephen Curry in that way - like a child would, “the whole team visit is off, because Stephen is hesitating!” and announced on Twitter, is comically pathetic. He’s got a bee in his bonnet about something not related to football (I wonder what?) I doubt he even watches it, he doesn’t have the attention span.

He is a bum. He’s self-obsessed trash, deserves no respect because he’s done nothing to earn it, and a takedown like LeBron’s is all that’s required for such a disgusting classless person. Trump already lowered the bar so much that it can’t seem to get lower - but he manages it daily. I hope more and more prominent people start calling him out.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Man hockey is going to expose itself as the massively white sport it is when the Pens just waltz in like nothing is going on... *sigh* I love my Pens but fuck I wish they wouldn't go.
The players could pull it off if they truly wanted to. Most of the talent are Canadian and European, from countries where the vast majority of people hate Donald Trump. These players are not American, why do they have to respect clown face? NHL teams have absolutely no reason to not do it.

If any Canadian player goes and meets with the Bum, that's an instant loss of respect on my part for them. He's not your president, he's a dipshit, we don't like him, don't go dignifying him with a visit. What are they going to do, deport you? Great, you can come play for the teams back home.

Nasbin

Steve Kerr said:
"How about the irony of, 'Free speech is fine if you're a neo-Nazi chanting hate slogans, but free speech is not allowed to kneel in protest?'" Kerr said. "No matter how many times a football player says, 'I honor our military, but I'm protesting police brutality and racial inequality,' it doesn't matter. Nationalists are saying, 'You're disrespecting our flag.' Well, you know what else is disrespectful to our flag? Racism. And one's way worse than the other."
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/warriors-shunned-president-dialogue/story?id=50054076

Man hockey is going to expose itself as the massively white sport it is when the Pens just waltz in like nothing is going on... *sigh* I love my Pens but fuck I wish they wouldn't go.

Massively rich white sport.....

Also Pens are going, talking about "respect"

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pittsburgh-penguins-white-house/c-291316102

The Pittsburgh Penguins respect the institution of the Office of the President, and the long tradition of championship teams visiting the White House. We attended White House ceremonies after previous championships - touring the historic building and visiting briefly with Presidents George H.W. Bush and Barack Obama - and have accepted an invitation to attend again this year.

Any agreement or disagreement with a president's politics, policies or agenda can be expressed in other ways. However, we very much respect the rights of other individuals and groups to express themselves as they see fit.

Garbage.

Akainu

image.php
Charles Barkley might be right

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Newsweek - NBA is Trump’s Next Big Problem, And It’ll Be Worse Than the NFL

Trump thought he would have the backing of football, but he surely knows he doesn’t when it comes to the NBA. For a long time, key figures, such as LeBron James and Steph Curry have spoken out about the president’s influence. The new NBA season is yet to start, but the players are managing to make their views heard in any way.

Trump thought he would have the backing of football, but he surely knows he doesn’t when it comes to the NBA. For a long time, key figures, such as LeBron James and Steph Curry have spoken out about the president’s influence. The new NBA season is yet to start, but the players are managing to make their views heard in any way.

Trump has tweeted 4 days in a row about the NFL, but hasn't brought up the NBA or the Warriors/Curry invitation up again.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'd love to see Trump try to attack Pop, Air Force vet and capable of delivering a verbal takedown unlike any other old white man.

RDreamer

I'd love to see Trump try to attack Pop, Air Force vet and capable of delivering a verbal takedown unlike any other old white man.

Didn't know Pop was a vet, so I looked at his Wikipedia page and damn:

He graduated with a bachelor's degree in Soviet Studies, and he underwent Air Force intelligence gathering and processing training.[6] At one point, Popovich considered a career with the Central Intelligence Agency.[7]

Soviet studies, eh? Would really be interesting to have a bigger conversation with Pop about Russia and the threat they pose, etc.

I'd like to think Trump isn't dumb enough to attack the NBA owners, players or coaches. Since he's yet to comment since "withdrawing" the invitation I can actually entertain this idea. Steve Balmer posted in support of protests, Kerr/Pop have commented on white privilege numerous times, the biggest stars in the NBA don't hold back either. I mean shit, the face of the NBA called the president a bum. Has any president been disrespected by such a huge public figure before?

It's not like the NFL where you have grown men happily lock arms with their masters and are/were basically all Trump supporters anyway.

Top Bottom