• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's extreme oligarchy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usobuko

Banned
WASHINGTON, DC – US President-elect Donald Trump is filling his cabinet with rich people. According to the latest count, his nominees include five billionaires and six multimillionaires. This is what is known as oligarchy: direct control of the state by people with substantial private economic power. Given that the Republicans also control both houses of Congress – and will soon make many judicial appointments – there is virtually no effective constraint on the executive branch.

In many instances – including the United States today – the initial reaction to such a government includes the hope that perhaps rich people will be good at creating jobs. They made themselves rich, goes the logic, so maybe they can do the same for the rest of us.

Hope usually dies last, but the incoming administration’s proposed economic policies are not encouraging. The organizing principle seems to be to discard pragmatism entirely and advance an extreme and discredited ideology.

The central theme of Trumponomics so far has been swift and sharp tax cuts. But Mick Mulvaney, Trump’s pick to run the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) is a prominent and articulate deficit hawk; he will have a hard time supporting measures that increase the national debt.

To some extent, tax cuts will be justified with overly optimistic projections regarding their impact on economic growth, as was done under President George W. Bush, with generally disastrous effects. But there is a limit to how much pressure can be put on the Congressional Budget Office, which is responsible for providing credible assessments of the fiscal impact of new policies.

Trump seems determined to lower income taxes for high-income Americans, as well as to reduce capital-gains tax (mostly paid by the well-off) and nearly eliminate corporate taxes (again, disproportionately benefiting the richest). To do this, his administration will seek to increase taxes on others,
and now we are beginning to see what this will look like. People close to the president-elect are considering an import tariff, set at around 10%.

This tariff will undoubtedly be presented to the public as a move to make American manufacturing great again. But a tariff is just another name for a tax that increases the costs of all imported goods. This could help a few firms at the margin – and presumably Trump’s team will highlight news stories (real or fake) about a few hundred or even a few thousand jobs being “saved.”

But the cost per job will be high: all imports will become more expensive, and this increase in the price level will filter through to the cost of everything Americans buy. In effect, the oligarchs will reduce direct taxation on themselves and increase indirect taxation on everyone – much like increasing the sales tax on all goods. Under any such proposal, the burden of taxation would be shifted from the better off to those with less income and little or no wealth.

And that may be just the start of the negative impact on most Americans’ wellbeing. If Trump increases tariffs on imported goods, some or all of America’s trading partners will most likely retaliate, by imposing tariffs on US exports. As US export-oriented firms – many of which pay high wages – reduce output, relative to what they would have produced otherwise, the effect will presumably be to reduce the number of good jobs.

Some countries – such as China – may deploy other punitive measures against US firms operating on their territory. The net effect will again be to reduce employment, both worldwide and in the US. The world has had much experience with “trade wars,” and it has never been positive.

Why would a group of American oligarchs pursue such a disastrous policy? The Trump administration is taking shape as a coalition of businesspeople who wrongly believe that protectionism is a good way to help the economy and market fundamentalists who now dominate the Republican caucus in the US House of Representatives.

Before Trump’s rise to prominence, the House Republicans were developing a set of policies structured around deep tax cuts, sweeping deregulation (including for finance and the environment), and repeal of President Barack Obama’s signature health-care reform, the Affordable Care Act (“Obamacare”). They were, however, resolutely in favor of freer trade – and the Obama administration’s plan was to enact the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), a free-trade agreement with 11 other Pacific Rim countries, with substantial Republican support in Congress.

Trump’s election has not changed the core House Republican agenda – in fact, it has brought that agenda’s architects into government, at OMB, at the Department of Health and Human Services, the CIA, and other prominent positions, with more likely to follow. As my colleague James Kwak explains in his new book Economism, their pro-market thinking has gone too far and is unlikely to lead to good outcomes.

Selling Trump’s signature issue – protectionism – to the House Republicans was not easy. But now they have started to think about an import tariff as part of their tax “reform” package, they will all start to get on board. And they will offer various strange justifications that deflect attention from the essentials of their policy: lower taxes for the oligarchs and people like them, and higher taxes – not to mention significant losses of high-paying jobs – for almost everyone else.

Source: https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/trump-extreme-oligarchy-by-simon-johnson-2016-12 ( opinion piece )

Tax breaks for the rich and corporations have to come from somewhere else afterall.

commedieu

Banned
It's what people want though.

How many times can we finger wag a dead body?

All of its true... where do we go from here? And remember America, do not block traffic if you decide to protest.

JordanN

Banned
According to the latest count, his nominees include five billionaires and six multimillionaires. This is what is known as oligarchy: direct control of the state by people with substantial private economic power.

These are the people we can put our absolute trust in when automation goes into full gear.

Oh, and keep cutting their taxes too. All the money they save can be used to build more robots that will leave millions more unemployed, increasing the wealth gap more than ever.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
These are the people we can put our absolute trust in when automation goes into full gear.

Oh, and keep cutting their taxes too. All the money they save can be used to build more robots that will leave millions more unemployed, increasing the wealth gap more than ever.
You're forgetting the big picture; at least their wont be any browns and blacks like Obama making decisions!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not entirely convinced they are going to be able to dump all this off on Obama and Democrats. And if they can't they are fucked in 2020 if not 2018 depending on how quickly things go south. And if the GOP fails to distance itself from the Trump disaster it will probably destroy the party as we know it.

commedieu

Banned
I'm not entirely convinced they are going to be able to dump all this off on Obama and Democrats. And if they can't they are fucked in 2020 if not 2018 depending on how quickly things go south.

This opinion is based on facts and logic.

We are at 4 legs good, 2 legs bad mode. Having the right or logical information isn't going to deter the base. All they need is a tweet to say otherwise. That will discount everything else.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This opinion is based on facts and logic.

We are at 4 legs good, 2 legs bad mode. Having the right or logical information isn't going to deter the base. All they need is a tweet to say otherwise. That will discount everything else.

A tweet doesn't do any good for a person with no internet connection.

Even aside from that, when people are starving, when multigenerational households with 12 people in a 3 bedroom house becomes norm because it's the only way to survive, when the unemployment rate reaches or approaches it's historic high, when healthcare is entirely unattainable for all but the wealthy, people aren't going to forget that just a few years earlier things were golden in comparison. It's going to be the same "I want THAT America back" that Trump incited, except it will be for recent history and not a fantasy version of the 1950s.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
At this rate, "eat the rich" won't be a slogan, but a meal plan for the poor.

These rich fucks will die to mobs if they push them to breaking. It'll be the Ceausescus all over again.

And I will feel no pity.

commedieu

Banned
A tweet doesn't do any good for a person with no internet connection.

Word of mouth from radio or fox, bribart news will deliver the message, especially since he hates media. Lets not get hung up on you thinking I literally means just twitter, please. Just to obfuscate the point.

Edit:

I honestly think people will still cheer the GOP as long as their scapegoat "other" minorities are doing worse off than them. History has illustrated this. And they will not blame trump.

People have a problem admitting they are wrong. Especially with world views. And politics might as well be religion at this point.

I hope you're right, but nothing says otherwise. As they decided to put some open in office to fuck them over, but it will stick it to minorities and guberment (so they think) as well. They've fallen on that sword.

As long as the government stops taking so much money from their pay checks (money to help illegal aliens and environmental issues) and do less regulations, conversative and republican voters wont care

Xe4

Banned
I always rolled my eyes when people called our system an oligarchy. Now, though, it's closer than ever to being true.

Why people think putting rich people in charge was a good thing was waaaay beyond me.

Alchemy

Also with incoming automation of the trucking industry and taxi industry its going to be really interesting to see just how completely fucked the economy is going to be over the next few years. At least it should fuck up rural America pretty hard so they'll get a taste of what they voted for.

UberTag

Also with incoming automation of the trucking industry and taxi industry its going to be really interesting to see just how completely fucked the economy is going to be over the next few years. At least it should fuck up rural America pretty hard so they'll get a taste of what they voted for.
Unfortunately this will just result in them shoring up their remaining assets in firearms to shoot people who don't look like them.

Lubricus

So we're just waiting for someone to just say "Fuck it" and declare themselves Emperor, leading to a decade of bloody civil war?

The genius of Augustus was that he convinced the Roman citizens he supported the Republic all while he was consolidating his power and becoming the richest man in the empire. No civil wars during the reign of Augustus.

I cannot believe that the working-class that voted for him to "drain the swamp" were stupid enough to believe his bullshit.

There is a bitter feeling in the chest as that last bit of hope fades away.

These guys know their stuff I'm sure but they also know they can make much more if they tweak some rules and regulations to their own benefits.

Average Joe and Jane take the hit and fall down while the party pick up the few good pieces and leave the mess on the ground for someone else to pick up.

When the pieces on the floor start to overcrowd and fill everything you can't help but step on a piece. Suddenly its rich vs rich, the average person is too poor to buy the new Ford, they can't buy that I phone now, food is required so its the last to go and medicine continues to suckle as much money as it can into its bottomless mouth.

No one wants to be the one to say thats enough and you guys are asking too much and how can we give back. They will feed and gouge themselves on the money till all they have left is to eat each other.

The techs will die first, no one will buy $400 electronics, they are too busy starving from having no jobs. Stock market will crash and people will fear and complain.

Its a domino effect and one industry falls after the other. This is talking worst case and I'm sure there are some checks and balance to account for it if not lobbying by a dying industry to save themselves.

All we can do is sit and wait to see what happens these 2 years before more seats are up for house and senate and power has the chance to change hands again.

Dai101

Banned

These rich fucks will die to mobs if they push them to breaking. It'll be the Ceausescus all over again.

And I will feel no pity.

I'll bring the popcorn and the drinks.

Acerac

Banned
Perhaps they will, but you know in their eyes it'll be Democrat's fault.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's what people want though.
I don't think it's what people want. People voted for Trump because they were under the delusion that he's a status quo-shattering maverick, not the most egregious example of "big business as usual" ever seen.

The American people voted to buy a bridge Trump was selling. They were scammed.

we have one thing Rome didn't

Technology
Okay then give it 50 years ;P

~Kinggi~

Banned
I don't think it's what people want. People voted for Trump because they were under the delusion that he's a status quo-shattering maverick, not the most egregious example of "big business as usual" ever seen.

The American people voted to buy a bridge Trump was selling. They were scammed.

Okay then give it 50 years ;P

In other words, the dumbest fucking sheep you ever did see.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
In other words, the dumbest fucking sheep you ever did see.
I think so. I feel it's much different than the usual politicians' fibs because Trump will do fundamentally the opposite of what he campaigned on. His campaign was really just calibrated to what the crowd wanted to hear, having nothing to do with his personal ambitions as President.

Alchemy

Perhaps they will, but you know in their eyes it'll be Democrat's fault.

But the GOP controls basically branch of government now, especially after we're fucked by Trumps SCOTUS nominee. What kind of mental gymnastics could they possibly do to blame anything on the fucking Dems at this point?

People will revolt against Trump when the stuff they buy on a regular or semi-regular basis suddenly goes way up in price. Stuff like cars, smartphones, computer hardware - anything that's normally made in an overseas factory with cheap labor and then imported back to the USA. Trump is anti wage-boosts on a federal level, so as inflation rises, so too will the cost of living. The misery index will expand and Trump will lose support.

He's making people feel good at the moment with the "keeps jobs here" theme. But when people realize how much it costs to keep those jobs here, they'll wake up.

Everyone pretty much turned on Obamacare back in November when healthcare premiums suddenly shot up. I expect a similar response with Trump when everything you buy is much more expensive.

Foffy

Banned
People will revolt against Trump when the stuff they buy on a regular or semi-regular basis suddenly goes way up in price. Stuff like cars, smartphones, computer hardware - anything that's normally made in an overseas factory with cheap labor and then imported back to the USA. Trump is anti wage-boosts on a federal level, so as inflation rises, so too will the cost of living. The misery index will expand and Trump will lose support.

He's making people feel good at the moment with the "keeps jobs here" theme. But when people realize how much it costs to keep those jobs here, they'll wake up.

Everyone pretty much turned on Obamacare back in November when healthcare premiums suddenly shot up. I expect a similar response with Trump when everything you buy is much more expensive.

I think Millennials may join in as Net Neutrality dies and that gets ruined like everything else, too.

UberTag

But the GOP controls basically branch of government now, especially after we're fucked by Trumps SCOTUS nominee. What kind of mental gymnastics could they possibly do to blame anything on the fucking Dems at this point?
The 'ole "shit would have been even worse under Hillary" angle.
The dummies will believe it. Especially if there's a good war or two to promote a "circle the wagons" / sabre rattling mentality.

Mimosa97

And I will feel no pity.

I don't think anything will happen. The more I talk to americans the more I realize how brainwashed they are since birth to worship the rich and hate the poor. If this was happening in another country I'd be convinced that sooner or later the masses would start mass protests and mass strikes but americans don't have a big culture of protesting or going on strike.

Honestly the more I read about it the more I realized that America was designed as an amusement park for the rich. Post WWII boom and efficient economic policies resulted in the creation of a strong middle class but now is time for the country to go back to its roots I guess. Huge captain of industries leading the way and the rest of the population living in permanenent precarity.

Prepare the gallows/guillotines....

Really hope my fellow citizens come to their senses before too much damage is done.

Otherwise, I really hope people are ready to rebel.

rjinaz

I don't think anything will happen. The more I talk to americans the more I realize how brainwashed they are since birth to worship the rich and hate the poor. If this was happening in another country I'd be convinced that sooner or later the masses would start mass protests and mass strikes but americans don't have a big culture of protesting or going on strike.

Honestly the more I read about it the more I realized that America was designed as an amusement park for the rich. Post WWII boom and efficient economic policies resulted in the creation of a strong middle class but now is time for the country to go back to its roots I guess. Huge captain of industries leading the way and the rest of the population living in permanenent precarity.

I remember watching the American documentary series "the story of us" and being appalled. The people they brought on the show as examples of great Americans were not great people or scientific minds. It was the rich mostly. People that made money off others like those pawn star guys.

This is America. Be proud! This is what you should aspire to be!

Gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom