• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's Iran plans driving EU toward Russia and China: Germany

Tovarisc

U.S. President Donald Trump’s expected move to “de-certify” the international nuclear deal with Iran is driving a wedge between Europe and the United States and bringing Europeans closer to Russia and China, Germany said on Thursday.

German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel has spoken out repeatedly against Trump’s likely step, but his latest comments aimed to spell out the impact it would have in starker terms.

“It’s imperative that Europe sticks together on this issue,” Gabriel, a Social Democrat, told the RND German newspaper group. “We also have to tell the Americans that their behavior on the Iran issue will drive us Europeans into a common position with Russia and China against the USA.”

Trump is seen unveiling a broad strategy on confronting Iran this week, likely on Friday, including a move to de-certify Iran’s compliance with the 2015 accord, which he has called an “embarrassment” and the “worst deal ever negotiated.”

Senior U.S. officials, European allies and prominent U.S. lawmakers have told Trump that refusing to certify the deal would leave the U.S. isolated, concede the diplomatic high ground to Tehran, and ultimately risk the unraveling of the agreement.
Signed by the United States, Britain, France, Germany, Russia, China, the European Union and Iran, the deal lifted sanctions on Tehran in exchange for curbs on its nuclear work.

Germany has close economic and business ties with Russia, although relations have soured since Moscow’s annexation of Ukraine’s Crimea region. Berlin is also working to expand ties with China.
Gabriel on Monday urged the White House not to jeopardize the nuclear agreement, saying such a move would worsen instability in the Middle East and could make it more difficult to halt nuclear arms programs in other countries.

In the interview released on Thursday, he said the nuclear agreement was being treated “like a football” in U.S. domestic politics, but the issue could have serious consequences.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Oriel

I don't necessarily mind closer links between the EU and China. But Russia gaining influence in Europe absolutely fucking terrifies me. The Kremlin fascistic dictatorship seeks territorial gains and imposition of Putin controlled puppet regimes in European capitals. When will we ever fight back!

Condom

Aren't the EU and Russia already kinda close because of the energy needs of the EU?
Close is a strong word but that's the thing keeping full hostility to each other at bay yes.

Gabriel is has kind of a favorable/non hostile stance towards Russia anyway though so I wouldn't think too much of it. Besides the SDP lost the elections in Germany.

Xando

Aren't the EU and Russia already kinda close because of the energy needs of the EU?
I wouldn’t say close.

Russia is more like the violent uncle no one likes but he’s still family so you stick around and try to change him.

Close is a strong word but that's the thing keeping full hostility to each other at bay yes.

Gabriel is has kind of a favorable/non hostile stance towards Russia anyway though so I wouldn't think too much of it. Besides the SDP lost the elections in Germany.
It’s not like the new government is gonna be more hostile to russia with the FDP in it.

And the greens like neither the US or Russia.

Shadybiz

"Who knew diplomacy could be this hard???"

...Also, this is the man who said that he would have blown Iranian ships that were "taunting" US ships "out of the water." He would open fire on Iranian ships.....for TAUNTING.

...Fucking idiot.

Nivash

It's more that the EU and Russia are currently unfriendly rivals who somehow manage to coexist by having to do business with each other. Neither are really happy with the arrangement, but it is what it is.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Remember that the GOP chose this path. They value a couple of years of power above our national security.

theWB27

So Russia gaining influence is right up Trump's alley. I have no more ire towards Trump. All on the gop from here on out. They have the power to stop it and don't care to lift a finger. Then again we already know some gop members like Russia.... Wonder how many more do behind doors.

Tonedeff

Trump is fucking up a sure fire win here for purely ideological reasons, not for security reasons, and this shit is so fucking blatant it makes my piss boil

I get the feeling the GOP is going to try to find a way to preserve the deal by somehow forcing the democrats to maintain it, allowing them to cry about it at midterms and paint the democrats as Iran backers.

Vena

I get the feeling the GOP is going to try to find a way to preserve the deal by somehow forcing the democrats to maintain it, allowing them to cry about it at midterms and paint the democrats as Iran backers.

Nah. They have to vote for it. Schumer and Pelosi have their entire caucuses whipped and voting on the call.

Infighting, and Murkowski, Collins, and McCain basically being alienated (and now Corker *pending*) by health care or Trump's own actions basically means Republicans can't get anything done now without significant help from Democrats. Effectively, the legislature is hostage to the Democrats despite them not being the majority.

If the U.S fails to uphold its commitments then it pretty much sends a signal to the international community that with the Trump administration the paper that agreements/deals and negotiations are written on are worthless if the U.S feels it has the power to never commit to it things.

The U.S will make it much harder for itself in the international community, you will find countries work closer with Russia and China on issues than the U.S. It will make it harder to do anything diplomatically with NK as well because any nuclear arms negotiations the U.S will have lost all credibility in, it makes negotiations harder because the U.S will prove that it's untrustworthy and irresponsible and other countries will be in the right, why should anyone agree to anything the U.S wants?

Top Bottom