• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WAPO: Trump to 'Decertify' Iran deal

WAPO

President Trump plans to announce next week that he will “decertify” the international nuclear deal with Iran, saying it is not in the national interest of the United States and kicking the issue to a reluctant Congress, people briefed on an emerging White House strategy for Iran said Thursday.

The move would mark the first step in a process that could eventually result in the resumption of U.S. sanctions against Iran, which would blow up a deal limiting Iran’s nuclear activities that the country reached in 2015 with the U.S. and five other nations.

Trump is expected to deliver a speech, tentatively scheduled for Oct. 12, laying out a larger strategy for confronting the nation it blames for terrorism and instability throughout the Middle East.

this guy...

Oriel

Trump might want to run that past his intelligence agencies first, all agreeing Iran is compliant.

Cunt!

Dierce

Republican pieces of shit. But Saudi Arabia, the country everyone knows sponsors terrorism faces no repercussion. They just want war with Iran, that's their end goal.

I am sure he has his reasons for this. Reasons that are entirely logical and .....

oh wait....

They also believe Trump’s foreign policy is chiefly driven by an obsession with unravelling Barack Obama’s policies. “It’s his only real position,” one European diplomat said. “He will ask: ‘Did Obama approve this?’ And if the answer is affirmative, he will say: ‘We don’t.’ He won’t even want to listen to the arguments or have a debate. He is obsessed with Obama.”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonar...ald-trump-is?utm_term=.ubQXNKZDpA#.jjd6y29wNO

Hopefully Congress does the right thing...

The Dems already signified willingness to blow up the Iran deal in order to put Trump in a more awkward position regarding Russia, so I have little hope for that.

It's the Obama administration's signature foreign policy achievement and yet barely anybody wants to stick up for it.

Trump wants an Iran war to kill all this Russian business. This is how he plans to get it.

That, and Obama was for this so he has to be against it.

jimmypython

Nikki Haley said the deal doesn't stop Iran from doing horrible things like testing missiles. So it's a bad deal.

This is a *nuclear* deal. Of course it doesn't stop Iran from testing ICBM and such.

Instead of pushing new deals on other things, Trump and friends try to decertify Iran even if they did comply by not developing nuclear weapons.

Decertifying would also make the NK situation worse: Kim can just say US is not credible and cannot be trusted.

How stupid

Horns

What an asshole. He'll tear up another international agreement that took years to workout with many countries. He offers no alternative solutions. Just doing it because he's an idiot.

Blader

The Dems already signified willingness to blow up the Iran deal in order to put Trump in a more awkward position regarding Russia, so I have little hope for that.

It's the Obama administration's signature foreign policy achievement and yet barely anybody wants to stick up for it.

Democrats have already said they're in favor of keeping the Iran deal, even the ones who opposed it two years ago, but it only requires a majority vote to reimpose sanctions anyway.

If he does this, everyone that electively works in defense, national security, etc., should resign in protest, or it's time to bring up the 25th amendment. There is no justification for this action. His hatred of Obama cannot be the single guiding force of his Presidency. He is not capable of serving if he isn't even interested.

Lo-Volt

Trump, again, bucking his cabinet if he proceeds as suggested. Didn’t the defense secretary speak out in favor of this deal? Unless he’s about to have another volte-face and then accedes to the deal and makes some excuse. If not, I wonder who else will start cursing within earshot of a reporter.

Even if we dislike the current government in Tehran, the deal’s collapse on our end would probably just embolden it to either become more reactionary after their next election, or embolden them to make better ties to Europe, or get ugluer in their own real realpolitik since there’s no positive consequence for restraint. “You can’t deal with America,” they’ll say, and they’ll be right.

Mr Swine

Banned
I really really hope that if this does indeed go through that Trumps legacy is so tarnished that it’s only useful to wipe people’s asses on it

I wonder if the deal dies, if the EU will just go it alone and make a new deal with Iran.
I’m not even sure we need to renegotiate it or if we can just stay in it. I mean, the rest of the P5+1 and EU probably don’t want out of the deal.
I don’t think the US would want to wage a trade/sanctions war with everyone else.

this will only lead to further nuclear proliferation as dictatorships around the world conclude that the US' word can't be trusted and that nukes are necessary to prevent regime change. well done

Loxley

This guy wants a war so bad.

It's not so much that he wants a war, it's that he's just trying to specifically dismantle Obama's legacy every chance he gets, regardless of whatever that means or what the fallout will be. That's literally the only thing driving his administration.

Trump is the physical manifestation of eight years of the racist GOP and right-wing propaganda denouncing Obama as the anti-Christ and the worst thing to literally ever happen to planet Earth.

Maztorre

this will only lead to further nuclear proliferation as dictatorships around the world conclude that the US' word can't be trusted and that nukes are necessary to prevent regime change. well done

That's been known since Gadaffi and Hussein died in the name of "regime change". Hence NK's pursuit of a deterrent long before Trump was on the scene. In the cases of both Iraq and now Iran, what good is compliance when the US constantly reneges on its word?

Iran's best hope is that the international community will rally behind them on this, but from what I've heard the sanctions regime that can be applied to Iran by the US alone is very punitive.

Snaku

Banned
Well that's that, Iran is going to have to go nuclear now. It's the only way to prevent regime change like Iraq.

Good luck with getting cooperation with nations on anything form here on this goes for all administrations going forward. How does he not understand that he's undermined the entire country?

Beartruck

This is the 2nd time he's blown up a huge policy, thrown it congress' hands and ran away. Hes actively abdictating responsibility and making all of their lives harder. How whipped must they be to put up with this?

Top Bottom