• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Even so, I still don't see the One flopping like the Wii U has. PS4 may eclipse it this time, but the Xbox is going to sell.

Oh yeah no doubt there. Microsoft can throw probably a fucking billion at marketing alone simply to move units, much like they did with the pos that is Kinect. Hell they're even doing the same funding of developments/cash injection shit they did to get some "hardcore" games to round out its roster but for their seemingly nightmarish launch software problems.

It's amazing people still think the PS3 reveal was worse. They have to be on par if anything.

Keep in mind, amidst the $599 US DOLLARS, RIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER, Giant Enemy Crab/Attack the weak-spot, silly SIXAXIS shit, and other depressing hardware-related reveals, they still showed off Resistance, Motorstorm, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, a LAIR trailer (I believe), the FABULA NOVA CRYSTALLIS megaton (FFXIII and FFvsXIII PS3 exclusive), and a MGS4 teaser for the upcoming TGS.

... and none of those game reveals seemed to help the meltdowns over the various details of the actual PS3.
For those around at the time, GAF was exploding (and not in a good way) over the price and apparent downgrade from the concept videos from 2005.

Will 'games, games, games' be enough for MS to overcome the various issues already out in the open regarding X1?
If so, they'll be a lot luckier than Sony was @ E3 2006.

Even so, I still don't see the One flopping like the Wii U has. PS4 may eclipse it this time, but the Xbox is going to sell.

It could sell very well, but it's hard to say that it certainly will do well when we have so little information still and when retail gaming is doing so badly right now.

More information (what types of games publishers and Microsoft are making, price, etc) is probably needed to predict its future either way.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'm looking forward to everyone eating crow when Microsoft actually puts out a good system.

It's not just about being a "good" or a "bad" system. I am pretty sure, that the XBone will be a platform with fun games.

It's about all the wasted potential. It could have been much more better as a gaming console. But it isn't for completly stupid and unnecessary non-gaming reasons.

Knoxcore

rip xbone

Still, the internet will forget all of this if MS delivers at E3.

My prediction is come June 11th and the weeks leading up to launch, no one is going to talk about DRM, used games, always online, always on Kinect, eSRAM or downclocking. A lot of people won't care about these things and MS will go smiling to the bank.

Pennywise

Despite all this I still see the One selling gangbusters. Just look at the recent "Xbox One is highest pre-ordered console" threads that have popped up. The 360 built such a strong following that the general population is likely to stick with Xbox. Also none of this stops the One from actually playing games right? I mean the DRM, the policies, all of that is part of the mix but at the end of the day the people that jump on and play CoD are going to be able to do so for the most part.

Who knows ?
Those predictions from pre-order numbers are no indicator.

If Sony finally implements a decent OS that can compete with Microsoft , there could be a shift as well.
Alot of those people you mention got an Xbox because their friends got one, which isn't given with a non existent install base.
And the already mentioned better OS/cross game chat and so on,but it's a completly new situation :>

Septimius

I agree. Let's not write doom and gloom to the Wii U yet, though. The Xbox understood by consumers to be a new product, they understand it plays games, and they might be like "eh, what's this?" about the "all in one" stuff, but they understand it's the new console that has the new CoD, and that's enough for a bunch of people.

MS will get the PR part of this thing right, but they won't get the game focus or hardware made right, apparently.

How come I feel like it just isnt a good time to be a gamer? Especially at a time with 2 new consoles coning out. Sometimes I wish there was an internet so I could just be another ignorant customer who makes purchases solely on the new facter alone.

This is depressing. I hope MSFT get their shit together and E3 blows my mind.

/drama queen rant

I'm looking forward to everyone eating crow when Microsoft actually puts out a good system.

I used to love coming to neogaf but now it's constant negativity with everyone jumping aboard rumors and getting a kick out of acting that they are 100% true and that everything sucks.

You're all overreacting

You have only 7 posts in nearly a year and 4 of them have been damage mitigation for the xbox one

WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU TRYING TO FOOL?

I think your list will be a lot bigger after E3

I doubt it. I expect many of those will be swept aside like so many bugs splattered on a windshield within a few weeks of E3 and Build. Maybe there will be some lingering uncertainty on policy still not finalized in public prior to launch, but most things should be cut and dried by then, leaving only those key sticking points to send people one direction or another. The biggest thing that will change over the next few weeks and months, though, is that Sony will become a fully legitimate target for many of the same issues. Gotta admire Amirox's penchant for going balls-deep with his ire, though. Always entertaining and mostly well-reasoned when it's not just OTT rage.

Liamario

Banned
I think they'll definitely show some games that will reduce the stench coming from this grave they've dug. Also, I think MS will feel that they need to have a lower price point than PS4 if they really want to compete.
It's not like the console will be dead in the water, but for those of us who have certain reasonable expectations, this isn't going to disappear with a reveal of Halo 5 or some timed exclusive.

Iacobellis

Sony, at the very least, attempted to justify the price and sat down at a presser to explain the PS3 delay.

I don't think it can be overestimated; MS management is utterly shambolic.

$599 is very justifiable, even to this day with the economy being in the shitter. When you see what first parties such as Guerilla Games and Naughty Dog were able to pull off, you would see the PS3 was stronger than the 360. The PS3 was a very premium machine, offering more than what most mainstream computers did at the time. The One doesn't do any of that over the PS4. It is using modest hardware that is being reported as "drastically" weaker than what Sony put in your machine. $500 for the One does not make much sense, and will leave consumers scratching their heads if it happens.

Link plz.

Amir0x said:
It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS3 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS3. Sony has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a PS3. Except if they want to play MGS4. Which will also come to 360 at some point.

The age of Sony is done.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11957229&postcount=1044

---
edit: but to be honest, this time Xbone "IS" fucked up, which puts me on his side; though never underestimate stupidity of the people that marketing can cultivate

Microsoft will not have "bad" looking games by any means. I can still be impressed by current gen graphics. So the expectation is that their games will look slightly better than the best current gen console games. I think that's "good enough".

When compared with competition it will be a different story, but the games aren't going to look like shit lol.

Other than CoD maybe >_>

Zok310

Banned
Despite all this I still see the One selling gangbusters. Just look at the recent "Xbox One is highest pre-ordered console" threads that have popped up. The 360 built such a strong following that the general population is likely to stick with Xbox. Also none of this stops the One from actually playing games right? I mean the DRM, the policies, all of that is part of the mix but at the end of the day the people that jump on and play CoD are going to be able to do so for the most part.

I see core fans migrating because of Live (the folks that are pre ordering it now), yes, but majority will most likely reevaluate Live if the console is lacking by such a large margin and if Sony can provide similar service for free or cheaper than Live, and we all know Sony is bringing their A-game to the PSN next gen.

Too much is stacked against MS and Live is not a must have some make it out to be.

reson8or

I agree. Let's not write doom and gloom to the Wii U yet, though. The Xbox understood by consumers to be a new product, they understand it plays games, and they might be like "eh, what's this?" about the "all in one" stuff, but they understand it's the new console that has the new CoD, and that's enough for a bunch of people.

MS will get the PR part of this thing right, but they won't get the game focus or hardware made right, apparently.

Sure will, they've been absolutely killing it to this point. Spot on effort.

I'd like to know how these are interconnected as I don't understand why problems with the memory would result in clock speed being reduced.

Wasn't there something in a leaked document before that showed a pretty large amount of redundant eSRAM on the die in case of issues?

Gartooth

Honest to god those 15 "exclusives" better deliver at E3, because that is MS's only chance at this point to actually gain some good PR and quiet down the dissenters.

daveo42

Banned
rip xbone

Still, the internet will forget all of this if MS delivers at E3.

That could happen if they can actually deliver on what they show off at E3. I'd hope they'd be smart enough to show off actual gameplay on finalized hardware, but if there is degradation between shown and final product, the Internet won't forget for some time.

jim2011

You have only 7 posts in nearly a year and 4 of them have been damage mitigation for the xbox one

WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU TRYING TO FOOL?

A reader who has all the systems minus wii u. Neogaf is good for news that hasn't hit other sites yet. If I'm defending the Xbox one, its because I'm sick of all the negativity.

mr_nothin

Banned
I'd like to know how these are interconnected as I don't understand why problems with the memory would result in clock speed being reduced.

Wasn't there something in a leaked document before that showed a pretty large amount of redundant eSRAM on the die in case of issues?

They're all on the same die. They could try to salvage some more chips, that were deemed "unusable", by lowering the clock speed to reduce heat. But nobody knows exactly what the yield problems are...could be heat related or it could be a large number of chips just not working.

Full of people who aren't even interested in purchasing an Xbox One, quelle surprise.

Can't speak for all, but I was largely Xbox-centric last time around ago and 360-only this gen. I think I have, perhaps not a right, but certainly a privilege to complain about and/or laugh at Microsoft's missteps.

Don't take this mess personally. I don't think you're on Microsoft's game payroll.

Unless you are, of course. I don't know you, so I guess it's possible.

Iacobellis

A reader who has all the systems minus wii u. Neogaf is good for news that hasn't hit other sites yet. If I'm defending the Xbox one, its because I'm sick of all the negativity.

What you say won't stop the negativity. The only people that can climb out of this hole are Microsoft themselves.

Woorloog

Banned

All the negativity is warranted.
Are you really defending anti-consumer bullshit?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Delivers with what though? Among the big 3, they have always been the ones with the least exclusives. And can't imagine multiplats not looking better on PS4.
Well obviously it remains to be seen, still they seemed confident about what they'll be showing at their supposed "games only" E3 this year.
I don't know.
lYHEtQo.jpg

In the end, people will bend... if they can stomach it.
My prediction is come June 11th and the weeks leading up to launch, no one is going to talk about DRM, used games, always online, always on Kinect, eSRAM or downclocking. A lot of people won't care about these things and MS will go smiling to the bank.
Wouldn't be surprised if the "games journalist" play turncoat.

Can you acknowledge the reason for the negativity, at least?

That's the first step.
Get that and that'll lead you to why people are being vocal with negativity.

Amir0x

Banned
Cancelling the pre-show and the post-show roundtable at E3.

Putting it in perspective, yep, this is pretty much the PR blunder of the century. It'll take real talent to trip this badly in this industry for years to come.

Thanks. Here is the full list right here now, so it's even more inconceivably awful. you guys are right.

A lot of this is just speculation, fanaticism and internet grandstanding, like the post itself.

Of course, it is all sourced and most of it is definitely not speculation anymore, but whatever you need to tell yourself to keep yourself together, have at it. I don't require living in that particular dreamland to get by, so whatever floats your boat.

Rich!

There's a whole amount of negativity surrounding the console because it's been an absolute clusterfuck since the reveal. The entire situation is embarrassingly bad.

It's not like people are being negative just for the sheer hell of it. If the PS4's reveal had been as much of a fuck up as this, you can be sure that Sony would have been ridiculed just the same.

jimforspeed

Neo Member
Honest to god those 15 "exclusives" better deliver at E3, because that is MS's only chance at this point to actually gain some good PR and quiet down the dissenters.

This is to quiet down some of the already few (proportionally) people that care about low GPU clock speed and bad yields and everything (DRM etc). The rest of the potential customers, who are a completely different group, are not going to give a damn, because they are not aware of these "details" at all. They are just gonna buy that damn thing. Unfortunately. People on GAF or generally on gaming forums, although critical, don't mean anything to MS at this point. It's fairly obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom