• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TTIP has failed – but no one is admitting it, says German Vice Chancellor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

Germany’s Vice Chancellor has said free trade negotiations between the European Union and the United States have failed, but “nobody is really admitting it”.

Talks over the so-called Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partner, also known as TTIP, have made little progress in recent years.

The 14th round of negotiations between American and EU officials took place in Brussels in July and was the third round in six months.

He further denounced the TTIP negotiations, saying the free trade deal proposed between the EU and Canada – the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) - was fairer for all parties.

The UK was seen as one of the strongest supporters of TTIP in the EU, so its departure following the Brexit vote would remove one of the US's closest allies in the talks.

Campaigners have warned previously that the UK may end up with “TTIP on steroids” if it does leave the EU.

Campaigners against the controversial TTIP trade deal with the US fear the UK will negotiate an “even more disastrous” agreement after it leaves the European Union.
More here:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...s-eu-us-germany-vice-chancellor-a7213876.html

The US has a habit of shoving its cock down everyone's throat. I don't think there was ever a trade agreement the US signed that didn't see the other parties lose out more than they gain.

Mii

Banned
The US has a habit of shoving its cock down everyone's throat. I don't think there was ever a trade agreement the US signed that didn't see the other parties lose out more than they gain.

I thought we just keep losing and that we are the biggest, stupidest babies?

epmode

Clearly this can't be true. Trump says that every nation on earth walks all over the USA when it comes to treaties and negotiations.

I guess I'm not surprised that Europe refused to roll over for America the way the Pacific Rim nations did.

There's still hope we can kill the TTP but it has to come from the people of the US itself now. Most of the other parties to TTP have already signed it.

Thank the Ruinous Powers that this did not make much progress. No idea what Obama was /is thinking about trying to pass this so god damn hard.

G.ZZZ

Praise the sun.

"Free trade" in the form of let our heavily subsidied food industry kill yours cause that's totally what competition is, true capitalism indeed.

Not to talk about other thing like the ability to take sovereign nations in court for any reason, as if citizens had that right. But corporation should because they're more than people and citizens.

Quixzlizx

I guess I'm not surprised that Europe refused to roll over for America the way the Pacific Rim nations did.

There's still hope we can kill the TTP but it has to come from the people of the US itself now. Most of the other parties to TTP have already signed it.

People who think the TPP is about the US steamrolling and crushing the other countries signing the deal have no idea what they are talking about.

You're missing out Europe! Don't worry. Obama's gonna shove his TPP down everyone's throat. I'm sure everyone's way of life will improve greatly after, not just a few at the top.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
People who think the TPP is about the US steamrolling and crushing the other countries signing the deal have no idea what they are talking about.
The US is trying to push its version of copyright laws down everyone's throats, and being a Canadian, NAFTA has taught us just how one sided making trade deals with the US is.

Fred-87

i read it this morning... im bitter so i hope it really stays this way... but for a short moment i was the happiest man in the world!

Matt

The US is trying to push its version of copyright laws down everyone's throats, and being a Canadian, NAFTA has taught us just how one sided making trade deals with the US is.
Trade deals are very complicated things, especially ones the size of TPP and TTIP. Saying that any one aspect of it defines the entire deal is very reductionist.

Makai

Praise the sun.

"Free trade" in the form of let our heavily subsidied food industry kill yours cause that's totally what competition is, true capitalism indeed.

Not to talk about other thing like the ability to take sovereign nations in court for any reason, as if citizens had that right. But corporation should because they're more than people and citizens.
Free trade agreements generally reduce or eliminate subsidies.

oti

Banned
German Vice Chancellor getting into elections mode. First he flips the bird to neo nazis (literally), then he criticizes Merkel for her party's handling of the refugee crisis and now this.

Could it be... that Gabriel is an actual human being and politician?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's less about America "winning" and Europe losing than it is about American corporations getting to fuck over everybody else and American citizens being colateral damage along the rest.

Obama, just like Clinton, adamantly believes that what is good for American corporations is good for America as it increases its geopolitical sway. This couldn't be further from the truth. Bad trade agreements such as the TTIP effectively transfer power from the state and towards corporations, making them even less accountable in some cases.

Edit: let's see what kind of trade deal the UK gets once it leaves the EU.

Caayn

Thank god that USA's political/corporate dick didn't get what it wants with this "free" trade agreement.

It's less about America "winning" and Europe losing than it is about American corporations getting to fuck over everybody else and American citizens being colateral damage along the rest.

Obama, just like Clinton, adamantly believes that what is good for American corporations is good for America as it increases its geopolitical sway. This couldn't be further from the truth. Bad trade agreements such as the TTIP effectively transfer power from the state and towards corporations, making them even less accountable in some cases.

Well, isn't this what most of the western world has been doing for the last 30 years anyway. Might as well ... ;)

Mr.Mike

Praise the sun.

Selling heavily subsidized food to another country is a pretty direct transfer of wealth from the subsidizing countries taxpayers to the other nations consumers of food. It's a pretty silly thing for the selling country to do, but if you're the buying country why wouldn't you take the deal?

And are citizens in your country not able to take the government to court?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Selling heavily subsidized food to another country is a pretty direct transfer of wealth from the subsidizing countries taxpayers to the other nations consumers of food. It's a pretty silly thing for the selling country to do, but if you're the buying country why wouldn't you take the deal?

It destroys the competition abroad while making your own industry fully dependant from subsidies as it reorganises itself around corporate welfare and stops being self-supporting.

It's a shit deal all around except of the captains of the industry, which are usually the ones pushing towards liberalisation, when they are actually demanding corporate protectionism. This is what deals like the TTIP are.

Cocaloch

The argument is it will destroy your native agricultural industry, and you don't want to be in a position where later the country you are buying from exits the free trade deal or simply stops subsidizing agriculture.

Kin5290

It destroys the competition abroad while making your own industry fully dependant from subsidies as it reorganises itself around corporate welfare. It's a shit deal all around except of the captains of the industry.
Captains of industry in this case being "farmers".

Fred-87

But the new problem might be CETA now. I admit i didnt read enough into it to confirm it myself. But i heared often that its the backdoor from USA into europe through Canada. A bit more sneaky in case TTIP fails.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Captains of industry in this case being "farmers".
More like huge producers and large conglomerates, which are empowered by these deals and the resulting market dynamics.

Smaller farmers get routinely fucked over, with many of them being forced to close down or sell their operations. Case in point, family owned dairy producers.

This is one of the reasons I'm a huge supporter of coops.

numble

Free trade agreements generally reduce or eliminate subsidies.
This isn't true. Free trade agreements generally reduce or eliminate tariffs. It is very difficult to eliminate subsidies, given the domestic and political nature of subsidies.

Canadian politicians proposed subsidies to various industries in response to the increased competition that TPP would bring: http://business.financialpost.com/n...-a-done-deal-trade-minister-chrystia-freeland

Hillary Clinton's opposition to the TPP is due in part to the lack of subsidies to industries effected by the TPP (aka "trade adjustment assistance", which brings up another issue--disguised subsidies).

Maledict

I'm beginning to think these trade deals are actually brilliant - because if every member is complaining about the other countries getting the best of them everyone is a winner!

The US has a habit of shoving ... I don't think there was ever a trade agreement the US signed that didn't see the other parties lose out more than they gain.

I'd like you to keep in mind that not every person reading this forum is an adult. You can make your point without using sexual metaphores.

That aside, from what I've read of the TTIP, it's US companies that get much out of it. The US governement, not so much.

Cocaloch

I'd like you to keep in mind that not every person reading this forum is an adult. You can make your point without using sexual metaphores.

That aside, from what I've read of the TTIP, it's US companies that get much out of it. The US governement, not so much.

I can't tell if this is a joke.

Mumei

Well, isn't this what most of the western world has been doing for the last 30 years anyway. Might as well ... ;)

Well, as Funky Papa said, this has been particularly beneficial to American corporations. Just look at share of global profits:

EzoyoW7.png

6yQqWuj.png

US corporations have at least 40% of global profits in twelve of those twenty five sectors (and two more within three percentage points); not only that but because of the US government's success in influencing other governments to liberalize their financial markets and the ensuing asymmetry of US firms acquiring a larger share of foreign firms than vice-versa:

eKlzvwQ.png

All told, American firms combined "own 46% of all publicly listed shares of the top 500 corporations in the world," and 41% of all global household financial assets are in North America. This is all great for American corporations, the American investor class, and American power (both a product of and producer of it), but as the article says towards the end:

This is not to say that the United States does not have serious problems, from high inequality and unemployment to sluggish growth. Hence, another insight from critical political economy is that there is no assumption that the continued power of the American investor class correlates with increasing living standards for all.25 Indeed, as mentioned above, the opposite is often true: The more profit the investor class accumulates, the less wages workers receive; hence soaring inequality, as is well-known from Joseph Stiglitz (2012) to Occupy Wall Street26.

The charts and information come from American Economic Power Hasn't Declined-It Globalized! Summoning the Data and Taking Globalization Seriously. By: Starrs, Sean. International Studies Quarterly. Dec2013, Vol. 57 Issue 4, p817-830; I read it through EBSCOhost with my public library account. Here's a link. I don't know if it'll work for anyone else but worth a try.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Trade deals are very complicated things, especially ones the size of TPP and TTIP. Saying that any one aspect of it defines the entire deal is very reductionist.
That's just one thing that the US is pushing across the board. My country capitulated on almost everything in regards to the TPP. Not just with America. When your government is already promising billions to certain industries to balance the losses they would expect, you begin to wonder why the fuck we're doing this, and who exactly does it benefit?

Americans being oblivious to what their corporations do when the enter a country through free trade is amazing. We've lost so many manufacturing jobs, had quite a number of retail business get bought out (which is something US company do when trying to muscle into a market) or forced to close, a good deal of our natural resources are being exploited for the benefit of foreign corporations, and now people want to put our water resources on the open table (fucking BC).

Matt

That's just one thing that the US is pushing across the board. My country capitulated on almost everything in regards to the TPP. Not just with America. When your government is already promising billions to certain industries to balance the losses they would expect, you begin to wonder why the fuck we're doing this, and who exactly does it benefit?
It has pluses and minuses, like pretty much all international agreements. Now you might on the whole dislike the TPP, but pretending there is nothing good in it is just being willfully ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom