• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TTIP has failed – but no one is admitting it, says German Vice Chancellor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It has pluses and minuses, like pretty much all international agreements. Now you might on the whole dislike the TPP, but pretending there is nothing good in it is just being willfully ignorant.
What's good in it for Canadians? I don't mean what's good for a handful of corporations, but what are we as Canadians going to benefit by going with the TPP? Is it good for our car industry (yes I know we just manufacture the damn things)? Nope, Harper was telling them billions would be given to stem off the losses. Is it good for our food industry allowing US crap in? Nope, billions were being promised to them as well. I can't see it being any good for what manufacturing jobs we have left, considering that we're including countries with significantly worse labour laws and pay than us.

Having US style copyright laws, is that good for us? Or maybe it's the ability for foreign corporations to sue us over our own laws (can't believe this is already somewhat a thing)? Or perhaps being dictated to in regards to things like pharmaceuticals? There's one groups that this is wholly designed to benefit, corporations, and considering who has the wealthiest and most powerful corporations, it benefits America's soft power projection.

Oriel

Liberalisation of international trade is not a bad thing, it's just a shame TTIP has been so monumentally fucked up in its design. Time to back to the drawing board and come up with a fairer and more equitable free trade agreement that satisfies all sides.

Acorn

You know what's wrong with the world is companies not being able to sue countries outside of the legal system in secret kangaroo courts.

Oh and imposing lesser regulations on countries that have strong protections is good too.

TTIP

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
You know what's wrong with the world is companies not being able to sue countries outside of the legal system in secret kangaroo courts.

Oh and imposing lesser regulations on countries that have strong protections is good too.

TTIP
Nah man, this is good for us. Shhh, did you like it with or without lube, I forgot?

Dingens

But the new problem might be CETA now. I admit i didnt read enough into it to confirm it myself. But i heared often that its the backdoor from USA into europe through Canada. A bit more sneaky in case TTIP fails.

it's far worse - both for europe an canada. It basically features the same bullshit as the TTIP but with a twist:
everyone with a branch office in canada (or europe) could use the agreement to sue the other. how many US corporations have a canadian subsidiary? probably most, and if not, it shouldn't be hard to buy a letter box there. so basically: while canadian and european companies would be able to fight each other('s countries), the US companies could enjoy all the benefits without any of the repercussion.
No wonder they didn't pursue the TTIP, why would they?

It has pluses and minuses, like pretty much all international agreements. Now you might on the whole dislike the TPP, but pretending there is nothing good in it is just being willfully ignorant.

one big minus is already one too many.

KDR_11k

The US has a habit of shoving its cock down everyone's throat. I don't think there was ever a trade agreement the US signed that didn't see the other parties lose out more than they gain.

I wonder if that's why that ISDS stuff is in these deals, to force the US to actually adhere to them, not ignore them the moment it's inconvenient for their own interests like NAFTA and Canadian lumber...

I guess I'm not surprised that Europe refused to roll over for America the way the Pacific Rim nations did.

There's still hope we can kill the TTP but it has to come from the people of the US itself now. Most of the other parties to TTP have already signed it.

The resistance in Europe didn't come from the politicians but the electorate. That pushed politicians to turn against these deals. There were hundreds of thousands on the streets in France and Germany (I haven't heard of the other countries but that may just be a lack of information on my part) to stop these deals and that's what did it. Well, that and the fundamental disagreements between the EU and US.

Most of that resistance is aimed at both TTIP and CETA so politicians have incentives to reject both of them. AFAIK the path for CETA already got rockier as a result, Juncker wanted to push it through quickly.

Shiggy

wide__820x461__desktop

Now he's out for revenge on TTIP enemies.

What about CETA?

I wonder if that's why that ISDS stuff is in these deals, to force the US to actually adhere to them, not ignore them the moment it's inconvenient for their own interests like NAFTA and Canadian lumber...

It's a double edged sword. As much as they advertise stronger language with the TPP, there's probably plenty of wiggle room for all sorts of garbage.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
The US is trying to push its version of copyright laws down everyone's throats, and being a Canadian, NAFTA has taught us just how one sided making trade deals with the US is.

Canadians, and Mexicans, gained manufacturing jobs that would have otherwise been given to Americans.

Edit: You already covered that in a later post.

jelly

I heard the British trade agreement with the US outside the EU is called the American Nonstop Advantage Laws.

Don't worry America. Britain will sign the whatever you want. Even a TTIPP.

The second P stands for fuck you. It starts with a P because fuck. You.

KingV

Clearly this can't be true. Trump says that every nation on earth walks all over the USA when it comes to treaties and negotiations.

I think both are true depending on your perspective.

I.e. The non-US party loses out overall.... BUT the gains on the US side primarily go to the top, so that majority of US citizens also see it as a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom