• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkey issues warrant for NBA player Enes Kanter for being terror group member

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/r...rs-arrest-says-he-is-part-of-terrorist-group/

Last week, Enes Kanter was held by police at a Romania airport and had his Turkish passport canceled. It would appear this was due to his political beliefs, as Kanter has been an outspoken critic of Turkey's president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and this kind of action has been taken against many Turkish passport holders.

Kanter was eventually released and made it back to the United States by way of London. It appears that the saga is not over, however, as a recent report indicates that Turkey has issued an arrest warrant for Kanter, claiming he is a member of a terrorist organization.

Via AFP:

Turkey issued an arrest warrant on Friday for Turkish NBA star Enes Kanter, accusing him of being a member of a "terror group", a pro-government newspaper reported.

A judge issued the arrest warrant after an Istanbul prosecutor opened an investigation into Kanter's alleged "membership of an armed terrorist organisation", Sabah daily reported.
Sabah daily added that the prosecutor would apply for an Interpol red notice -- to inform Interpol's 190 members that someone's arrest is sought and thus ensure their deportation -- to the justice ministry.

Despite the seriousness of this continued incident, Kanter does not seem worried.

Enes Kanter ✔ @Enes_Kanter

Yakalayamazsıııın!!!
Hahaha 😂😂
Boşuna yorulmayın.
Hepinizin o çirkin, nefret dolu suratlarınıza tükürmeye zaten kendim geleceğim.

1:23 AM - 26 May 2017

According to the report, this translates to: "You cannot catch me. Hahaha. Don't waste your energy. "I am already going to come to [Turkey] to spit on all of your ugly, hate-filled faces."

Lunar15

Reminder that Trump isn't the only thin-skinned buffoon on the world stage.

It's funny because this is the kind of behavior we would associate with some third world country struggling through a dictatorship.

Now America is the perfect example.

Also did I say funny? I meant terrifying.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Trump keeps stealing the spotlight but Erdogan the little baby dictator wants the world to remember his government is also a giant fucking joke as well.

"Suck my ass" is literally the only proper response to a dictatorship that wants to arrest and maybe kill you for your religious beliefs.

Erdogan is a jerkoff who will hopefully die on a toilet.

"Suck my ass" is literally the only proper response to a dictatorship that wants to arrest and maybe kill you for your religious beliefs.

Erdogan is a jerkoff who will hopefully die on a toilet.

Be careful, you might get beat up on the White House lawn by Turkish bodyguards and noone will do anything about it.
Seriously WTF guys. How can that be a thing?

Yeah, but laughing and saying "you can't catch me" when being accused of being a terrorist doesn't sound like a good decision to me.

They have arrested all of the Turkish political opposition as "terrorists." It's a joke. They've arrested thousands of academics and journalists and politicians.

It would be like putting out an arrest warrant for terrorism because someone supports Black Lives Matter. The only right response is "eat my asshole."

Yeah, but laughing and saying "you can't catch me" when being accused of being a terrorist doesn't sound like a good decision to me.

The terrorist accusation is complete BS and everyone knows it. Kanter is just very vocal about his dislike for Erdoğan, and they're levying this terrorist accusation to harass him.

Is he close to being naturalized in the US?

He's apparently stepping up his efforts. He's years away from getting it through the normal route, but it's clear that his situation is pretty extraordinary, so I imagine the government will expedite.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
He should look into options to protect himself regardless. His chances of a fair trial in Turkey are non-existant (partly thanks to Erdogan firing/arresting judges and lawyers who oppose him).

Squire

Banned

No one is going to take the accusation seriously coming from Erdogan. Everyone's motivations here are crystal clear.

Madness

It's funny because this is the kind of behavior we would associate with some third world country struggling through a dictatorship.

Now America is the perfect example.

Also did I say funny? I meant terrifying.

No kidding. When the American President is seen as the equivalent to or reminds murderous dictators and authoritarians who ignore atrocities, jail and beat journalists, crush any dissent, you know things are messed up. And they'll be hootin' and hollerin' in good ole Anytown USA because they stopped Hillary and their wall coming.

Back to OP, and nothing will happen to Erdogan and Turkey. Germany will keep bending over because they need the migrant deal and the US needs them for NATO as a crucial bulwark to Russia and also to provide stability near Israel. Better to have a despot in your pocket than in your enemies.

I've always said that Kanter should go to prison for his inept defense. It seems Turkey believes this a well. The terrorism charge is probably just an excuse.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
It would be like putting out an arrest warrant for terrorism because someone supports Black Lives Matter. The only right response is "eat my asshole."
230UJlq.jpg

"I can't wait to do that!"

Is he close to being naturalized in the US?

Professional athletes usually compete on a special type of Visa for extremely talented people in their fields. It's reserved for basically celebrities, celebrity scientists or professors, famous authors, famous musicians, and​ professional athletes.

Top Bottom