• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkey seeks to get Doner kebab protected as a product..

Liljagare

I saw in another article, no sauces allowed, that will absolutely kill Doner in the EU, everyone hunts for the places with the best red (usually a good marinara) and white sauce (usually a good garlic sauce).

I am sorry, but Doner, without the sauces, is like Champagne without bubbles.

Or a good Cognac without alcohol,

The original product is flawed by not having the sauces. If this happens, everyone will just go for Keboob instead.

The Stig

Yeah what the heck?

I miss donor kebabs so much. I live in CA but used to eat them all the time in the UK where I grew up

edit - yeah just come up with another name eh

Last edited:

midnightAI

Wait, you can protect a 'serving suggestion'? That doesn't sound right (never will be adhered to in the UK anyway, chilli sauce and garlic mayo is the norm around here, last port of call after a night out drinking)

Last edited:
Anthony Anderson Deathwish GIF by Death Wish Coffee

midnightAI

Phew, hopefully Metro has it wrong, Daily Mail make no mention of any sauce issues only thickness and quality of meat (that's what she said)...

Kebab Doner GIF by dieneuedoenastie

Last edited:

Lambogenie

Kebabs are gross af, I'm pretty sure I found a cockroach's leg inside one.
Ungrateful for the extra protein. Starve then.

I agree, kebab should have specific standard. The meat should be a specific thickness, on the thinner side. And none of that BS curry sauce some Bengalis be adding.

I heard to try kebab in Japan of all places. They weren't wrong!

Winter John

The first time I had a kebab was in Dublin. We had em here but I remember being told it was cat meat or some shit so we didn’t go near them. Anyways I got to Dublin and we went to this place called the juju club. Afterwards we all went to this kebab take out and that was the first time I had it. It was awesome. I wolfed that shit down. The thing about these kebabs is they only taste good when you’re drunk as shit. You can’t be eating kebab at 5pm on a Wednesday. It don’t work. The other thing I figured out is when you’re ordering you tell the guy no salad. Otherwise they fill it up with leaves n shit instead of meat.

Lambogenie

The first time I had a kebab was in Dublin. We had em here but I remember being told it was cat meat or some shit so we didn’t go near them. Anyways I got to Dublin and we went to this place called the juju club. Afterwards we all went to this kebab take out and that was the first time I had it. It was awesome. I wolfed that shit down. The thing about these kebabs is they only taste good when you’re drunk as shit. You can’t be eating kebab at 5pm on a Wednesday. It don’t work. The other thing I figured out is when you’re ordering you tell the guy no salad. Otherwise they fill it up with leaves n shit instead of meat.

Poppy cock. Kebab tastes good at any time. Just go to good joints. Good joints load meat and salad.

Winter John

Poppy cock. Kebab tastes good at any time. Just go to good joints. Good joints load meat and salad.
Dude, nothing tastes good at any time except maybe ice cream and champagne. Kebabs taste good when you’re drunk as shit but that’s about the only time. I still don’t know what the fuck that mystery meat is. I figure it’s badger or some wacky euro farm animal.

Spyxos

It's the first time I've heard that, kebabs are eaten here at any time of the day.

Last edited:

Porcile

Ungrateful for the extra protein. Starve then.

I agree, kebab should have specific standard. The meat should be a specific thickness, on the thinner side. And none of that BS curry sauce some Bengalis be adding.

I heard to try kebab in Japan of all places. They weren't wrong!

Wut. Kebabs in Japan are absolutely terrible especially doner kebabs. The two kinds of food you simply can't get good versions of in Japan are famously Mexican and Turkish.

Angry Breathing Fire GIF by TRT

Scotty W

This is what I don’t get about Turks and Indians: you got these amazing foods… but always the exact same things? and you don’t experiment? and there are 100’s of restaurants exactly the same?

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Too late. It has already spread to places like Mexico thanks to diaspora, and become integrated into the culture decades ago.

Liljagare

This is what I don’t get about Turks and Indians: you got these amazing foods… but always the exact same things? and you don’t experiment? and there are 100’s of restaurants exactly the same?

Might wanna have a talk with Italy, France and Spain too. It's nuts how they all defend their own unique products, that... .. .. are the same products. :p

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The EU is retarded if they allow this. It's just a food recipe. People will just call it something else and use the same recipe lmao.
Yes, but they are already doing it with other food products, but ultimately only change is that is like a copyright and you can basically produce the same thing, you just have to change the name. Like Champagne > Sparkling Wine, etc...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So by the sounds of it they want to trademark the name Doner Kebob.

That would be like someone trying to protect "Pizza" with a strict code of rules.

Sounds pretty retarded, but good luck I guess. Seems like people in Turkey got too much time on their hands.

mitch1971

Yes, but they are already doing it with other food products, but ultimately only change is that is like a copyright and you can basically produce the same thing, you just have to change the name. Like Champagne > Sparkling Wine, etc...
Just call them beer sponges.

Top Bottom