• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess is definitively better than Wind Waker

inky

Twilight Princess bored the crap out of me. I actually prefer the top down zeldas anyway, but nah, no way.

Sadist

Nah.

While there are no bad 3D Zelda's, Twilight Princess is my least favourite. It has some great moments, but it's clear from the start that Aonuma and his team were a bit too influenced by fan reactions who wanted a Ocarina of Time 2. Feels a bit familiar.

It does have Midna though, she's cool.

Regiruler

I'll also mention it feels a lot better in twilight princess to experiment with the items in combat. It's really fun popping out the spinner every other encounter (even if it does halfway to nothing it's actually quite safe and has benefits over ice and snow, etc.), or to stun every enemy on the screen with the gale boomerang. When it comes to heavy weapons, the hammer feels so dull in comparison to the ball and chain.

I will say that I wish wolf form interactions with other characters were a bit more fleshed out. I think there's only two humans in the game that will still have conversations.

Twilight Princess never sat right with me. The game feels like they tried too hard to make another Ocarina of Time. I think it's the least original entry in the series. I much prefer both Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.

I actually find Link Between Worlds to be the least original game in the series.

MoonFrog

I haven't played any Zelda games between Ocarina (amazing, obv.) and BotW (even more amazing!), so I have missed out on a lot of Zelda. However, TP always looked pretty cool from the screenshots etc, as well as having a 96 on Metacritic. What was so wrong with it that gets is slammed on GAF so frequently?

Generally, I think:

Bloated introduction.
Horrendous pacing in the first arc.
Limp Zelda/Ganondorf usage.
General "wannabe OoT" coming off WW's fresh style. Exacerbated by the above.
Empty, boring overworld.

Versus:

Midna.
Glorious dungeons.
Great music.
Sometimes that OoT/aLttP calling back hits well.

Mr. RPG

Twilight Princess is one of the best games of all time.

I really want another Zelda game like that one. :(

Breath of the Wild has me concerned for the future of the series. I don't understand the fanfare for that game. I really want a traditional Zelda again...

Branduil

Nah.

Ehh not really.

Definitely not.

I'm afraid this just isn't true at all

SMH OP you're entitled to an opinion here but Wind Waker is vastly better in every regard. Also Wind Waker isn't the visual embodiment of everything that was wrong with 7th gen.
Even people who prefer Wind Waker will at least usually admit it has the weakest dungeons in the series.

I love Twilight Princess. I really like that it feels like a sequel to OoT, a lot of people don't.

But, yeah, I agree with you OP.

Mega

Banned
I was fully ready to jump on the RTTP train for Skyward Sword in 6 months once the cycle kicks in but I'm just on too big of a high now.

I'm fine with this. I want the Wind Waker revisionist history to end. This game was reviled after it came out. Empty ocean with tedious boat/wind controls, lame dungeons, worst fetch quest ever, Tingle, braindead easy, dull final chapter.

People fell in love with the timeless art style and convinced themselves this was one of the greats long after the consensus was NO, it wasnt. And this is coming from someone who generally liked WW but was generally disappointed after OOT and MM blew me away.

Astral Dog

I haven't played any Zelda games between Ocarina (amazing, obv.) and BotW (even more amazing!), so I have missed out on a lot of Zelda. However, TP always looked pretty cool from the screenshots etc, as well as having a 96 on Metacritic. What was so wrong with it that gets is slammed on GAF so frequently?
Dreadfull pacing,horrible graphics (it looks worse than the 3DS remakes imo) underwhelming soundtrack,mediocre plot (though you will love it if you like Midna) very easy difficulty,etc.

MoonFrog

Breath of the Wild has me concerned for the future of the series. I don't understand the fanfare for that game. I really want a traditional Zelda again...
I think BotW needs its aLttP. Tbh. I'm more okay with what they did with BotW than I feared but I do think it needs to fold in aLttP-SS again into the new beginning.

Or just do a traditional Zelda next. That'd be cool too.

WW is pretty charming, but boring as a whole. I don't love Twilight Princess, but I do see it as essentially the better Ocarina of Time.
Yeti Mansion
for best dungeon in the series.

But regardless, Majora's Mask stands above all three.
Okay I know this isn't a player on this conversation but Stone Tower or Ancient Cistern totally destroy Yeti Mansion.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
WW Pros:

+Art style
+Originality
+Atmosphere
+Music
+Characters

WW Cons:

-Bad/rushed second half
-Lots of truly empty space
-Dungeons are so-so (comparatively to the rest of the series)

TP Pros:

+Play as adult Link for entire game/great Link design
+Amazing dungeon design, especially the final dungeon
+While still empty, better overworld than WW
+Great set of tools

TP Cons:

-Uninteresting characters, especially
Ganondorf
and Zelda for who they are
-Extremely ugly NPCs
-Terribly slow beginning
-Wolf Link
-Twilight realm (music, enemy design, weird grain filter, everything)
-World feels very segmented, even more so than normal
-Music isn't that good

Overall I think they're pretty close in quality to each other. I prefer Wind Waker for everything but dungeons, but dungeons are such a huge part of Zelda games (outside of BotW which is... a different beast) that TP's great dungeon design really does balance them out.

Xbro

Nah.

Ehh not really.

Definitely not.

I'm afraid this just isn't true at all

SMH OP you're entitled to an opinion here but Wind Waker is vastly better in every regard. Also Wind Waker isn't the visual embodiment of everything that was wrong with 7th gen.

You seriously going to argue that WW dungeons are better than TP dungeons?

Nnooooopeeeee. Wind Waker, aside from being a more aesthetically rich experience, is also the better game overall.

-Better dungeons
-Better bosses
-More rewarding exploration
-INFINITELY better items

I've dropped wind waker multiple times but Twilight Princess still has me hooked. What do people see in WW?

- I mean, you just came to post after Snowpeak, which really is a great dungeon. But I clearly remember thinking that the first dungeon of the game was one of the worst in the series.

- Again, Snowpeak. Wind Waker has some really fun boss fights... but seeing as you have yet to finish both games I think you're clouded in your judgement

- This is simply untrue. In fact, nothing in Twilight Princess rewards your exploration at all. It's a barren wasteland with basically nothign to do, an overextended Hyrule Field. "But water" and yet there was more to discover in all that water and island that there is in the entire Hyrule Field.

- Last point.... you might wanna check this thread again after finishing, lol.

What people see in WW is a sense of adventure and wonder, of exploring the unknown and spend a whole time in silence while trying to discover what the next island brings. TP has none of that at all, it's also a game that tries to be another one but kinda fails.

And honestly you really should be finishing both games before you come to judge which one has the better... well, anything. It makes no sense when you dropped one journey and are in the middle of another

Hell no.

Skyward Sword is a borderline unplayable video game.

LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE

Regiruler

Breath of the Wild

Haven't started it, not a whole lot of time on my hands recently and some things I've heard aren't terribly great.
- I mean, you just came to post after Snowpeak, which really is a great dungeon. But I clearly remember thinking that the first dungeon of the game was one of the worst in the series.

I thought the forest temple was really good, to be honest. I like the use of the wind gimmick earlier than I was expecting it, and the gale boomerang had a really cool puzzle that was used again in the boss fight, made you feel like you were God.

Mega

Banned

What is a traditional Zelda? In many ways, BOTW is the 3D Zelda game that most resembles the original Legend of Zelda and ALTTP.

Branduil

I'm in a pro-TP cycle, because I'm over my story/style issues with it mostly, in the sense that they aren't a big deal, it always had the better dungeons, and the HD remake trimmed the fat of the first part (and I rediscovered that the second part is excellently paced).
What parts of the beginning did they change for TP HD?

jviggy43

Giant Flail.

If you like staring at water for 5 minutes at a time, I suppose that could be considered unique.

Which if culminated as a totality of time spent staring at water still pales in comparison to the fetch quest bug hunting intro to TP which I am still working on to this day /s

Seriously tho that alone has prevented me from playing through a second time

Astral Dog

I'm fine with this. I want the Wind Waker revisionist history to end. This game was reviled after it came out. Empty ocean with tedious boat/wind controls, lame dungeons, worst fetch quest ever, Tingle, braindead easy, dull final chapter.

People fell in love with the timeless art style and convinced themselves this was one of the greats long after the consensus was NO, it wasnt. And this is coming from someone who generally liked WW but was generally disappointed after OOT and MM blew me away.
Ww had its flaws,but both TP and SS have them as well,they just hide them more subtlety.

WW had ok dungeons,charming characters,an amazing soundtrack,sense of discovery,decent combat (for 3D Zelda although useless until the HD remaster) beautiful graphics,even great reviews.

There is a reason why Nintendo has continued the Wind Waker legacy in terms of aesthetics and not Twilight Princess

Macka

I'll give you the dungeons being better in TP, but overall I enjoyed Wind Waker so much more. The grimdark of TP didn't really work for me and I find WW to be much more charming, and I was one of the people who was initially disappointed with the artstyle! Best writing for the characters in the series imo, and dual katana Ganondorf is objectively his best incarnation. (Granted I haven't finished BotW yet, but I can't see how that could change considering he's just been an ominous evil cloud for the last 60 hours).

You don't have to do any tedious wind conducting with the wolf though. In fact you don't have to do any gimmicky code input instrumentals, so just killing off that terrible Zelda fad wins its favour in my book.
The wolf howling was the instrument. Granted it was only used for combat upgrades but, it was the games instrument. You are right though it's not like the Wind Waker or the Ocarina and not used to like get around etc.

The wolf bullshit is worse than the boat

You seriously going to argue that WW dungeons are better than TP dungeons?

Skyward Sword has Ancient Cistern, so that alone puts it above WW. Actually I'd say all of the dungeons are decent to good outside of the fire dungeons.

I probably should rescind the dungeon argument, it's been like 10 years since I last played Wind Waker to completion and 12 year old me is not a rational judge of dungeon quality.

If the consensus is that WW has the worst dungeons, that's fair. I just genuinely didn't enjoy any part of Twilight Princess, at all.

Exodust

Banned
Truth about Wind Waker is that while art style and charm of it nothing else really stand out aside from that. I'm not one of those guys who hates the sailing and can't say I had a problem with the Tri-Force hunt in the GameCube version. But dungeon wise, main quest wise, hell most things are just above average at best. The side quests are cool, but that's the best aspect of it gameplay wise. I only put it above Skyward Sword 3D Zelda wise.

Twilight Princess' main problems are it's emptiness when it comes to having barely any side content, and the atrocious tutorial section. But once you are out of the tutorial it's clearly a better game than WW, and was the best 3D Zelda after the N64 games up until Breath Of The Wild.

Both TP and WW are criminally easy, though. A problem I'm glad wasn't an issue with Wild.

Xbro

I think that if Twilight Princess didn't have an opening that dragged as much as it did it would potentially be the best Zelda game of all time.

The second half of the game was absolutely fantastic.

Top Bottom