• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks: Into The Night is shaping up to be a fantastic tribute to David Lynch’s iconic series

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Created by Blue Rose Team, a small team made up of French developers Lucas Guibert and Jean Manzoni, Twin Peaks: Into The Night is a fan game that reimagines Lynch and Frost’s original series as a PS1-style survival horror game à la Silent Hill and Resident Evil, complete with tank controls and full-motion video exposition that repurpose footage from the show. Guibert and Manzoni released the first demo for the game on Tuesday, covering the events of Special Agent Cooper’s arrival at Twin Peaks and his first encounter with Laura Palmer in the Black Lodge.

No word as to when we can expect the full release, but Guibert and Manzoni have made it clear that they intend to release the game for free when it’s finished, as the project is an unofficial tribute to the TV show. The demo itself is fantastic, channeling the idiosyncratic quirks of Lynch and Frost’s signature storytelling in a way that feels right at home in the interactive medium of games. So far, Twin Peaks: Into The Night is shaping up to be the video game adaptation the series always deserved back when it was still on the air.

Go_Ly_Dow

A Twin Peaks game already released 13 years ago.

and it's getting a sequel released in the next couple of months.

-----

This game looks good too. Will be on my radar, and try the demo.

Twin Peaks has a certain vibe and also a focus on sub plots/characters and isn't afraid to switch up the tone drastically from lighthearted, mysterious, weird to serious etc...

So speaking for my myself, I'd never get the same feelings from Alan Wake. Its not made by a artistic madman like David Lynch!

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Twin Peaks has a certain vibe and also a focus on sub plots/characters and isn't afraid to switch up the tone drastically from lighthearted, mysterious, weird to serious etc...

So speaking for my myself, I'd never get the same feelings from Alan Wake. Its not made by a artistic madman like David Lynch!

We did get Deadly Premonition the same year though.

Deerock71

Alan Wake never gave me the slightest inkling of David Lynch vibes. It was an interesting story told well, but it was more in line with Stephen King.

The third season was entertaining, but jumped the shark as far as expectations for a continuation were concerned. It had completely different vibes and pacing than the original two seasons for the most part. I got a lot of heartfelt laughs out of the Dougie subplot though. The Shadowmen bits and the Audrey cameo were the worst for me. Zero entertainment value.

Last edited:

Deerock71

The third season was entertaining, but jumped the shark as far as expectations for a continuation were concerned. It had completely different vibes and pacing than the original two seasons for the most part. I got a lot of heartfelt laughs out of the Dougie subplot though. The Shadowmen bits and the Audrey cameo were the worst for me. Zero entertainment value.
Yeah, Audrey's cameo was rough. As far as jumping the shark...were we really expecting a season 4? I just thought the fact we got a third was miraculous in itself.

With them using the actual name, isn't this setting itself up for a C&D? Can it avoid that by being free? Not sure how this works but I was surprised to see this fully use everything from the actual show.

Doom85

Persona 4 has mysterious supernatural murders in a small town, the velvet room is basically the red room but blue, and Igor even has pointy ears like that dancing midget.

Actually, I’ve heard Persona 4 is mostly similar to JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Part 4, though I’ve yet to see the latter myself.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
A Twin Peaks game already released 13 years ago.

Alan Wake is the 'better' game of the two, but Deadly Premonition is the far more blatant and faithful Twin Peaks homage.

maxresdefault.jpg

Persona 4 has mysterious supernatural murders in a small town, the velvet room is basically the red room but blue, and Igor even has pointy ears like that dancing midget.
I would say it is more like Scooby Doo reboot anime. Yu Narukami is Fred, Yosuke is Shaggy, Yukito is Daphine, Chie is Velma, Teddie is Scooby Doo, Kanji is Scrappy Doo, Rise is Nova, Naoto is Hot Dog Water, and Igor is Mr. E.

Yeah, Audrey's cameo was rough. As far as jumping the shark...were we really expecting a season 4? I just thought the fact we got a third was miraculous in itself.
No, I mean the time skip and dropping all continuity at the start. If you recollect how season 2 ended...

Last edited:
I am delighted that this is a thing (who'd have guessed with this avatar)! Here's hoping they complete it, because it's a crime that we never got a game like his back in 99/2000.

I'm not sure if it was someone talking making stuff up or an actual thing that happened, but I recall a quote possibly from Mark Frost that Konami wanted to make a Twin Peaks game for the NES way back when. Probably a lie by someone online, but still, what if?

Twin Peaks Season 3 is a masterpiece, particularly episode 8.
Don't question this, I'm just stating actual fact.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

This didn't do much for me. It's nice that it exists (without being immediately shut down by a C&D), the old style graphics are a good choice, the ending is cool, but... the heavy reuse of material from the series that oddly deducted points for me.

It did remind me that I'm long overdue for a proper rewatch of TP and FWwM, but I just know I'll get stuck on the awful parts of season 2 again.

Deerock71

This didn't do much for me. It's nice that it exists (without being immediately shut down by a C&D), the old style graphics are a good choice, the ending is cool, but... the heavy reuse of material from the series that oddly deducted points for me.

It did remind me that I'm long overdue for a proper rewatch of TP and FWwM, but I just know I'll get stuck on the awful parts of season 2 again.
FWwM is an all-time classic.

Terenty

Alan Wake is the 'better' game of the two, but Deadly Premonition is the far more blatant and faithful Twin Peaks homage.
IMHO of course, but Alan Wake is absolutely not a better game, not in gameplay nor in anything else.

Alan Wake is a bland, repetitive shooter gameplay wise, while DP was quite ambitious with it's town and with one of the best, if not the best implementation of NPCs having their own life with schedules. Not to mention side quests done right where you could learn more about characters and get worthwhile rewards.

Characters and the plot in DP are also superb and shit on AW. Again imho

adamsapple

IMHO of course, but Alan Wake is absolutely not a better game, not in gameplay nor in anything else.

Alan Wake is a bland, repetitive shooter gameplay wise, while DP was quite ambitious with it's town and with one of the best, if not the best implementation of NPCs having their own life with schedules. Not to mention side quests done right where you could learn more about characters and get worthwhile rewards.

Characters and the plot in DP are also superb and shit on AW. Again imho

NGL I agree with you 100% lol.

AW is in quotes because on paper (and reviews) it's better. I also really like AW and have the sequel pre-ordered for day 1, but I love Deadly Premonition more.

I still need to watch the new series.

What are people's opinions on it that have seen it?
In the original series I found the friendly F.B.I. Agent Dale Cooper and the naive personal relationships in town to be captivating. This new series has very little of the former and only a little bit of the latter with a few too many cheap cameos. For most of it there is a buildup of suspense, but no real payoff until the very end when everything completely unravels. There are quite a few fascinating side plots on the other hand. The parts with Dougie character, for example, are peak oblivious protagonist comedy.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Thats not Deadly Premonition

The last couple of recent threads about the game made me restart it again and I ended up getting the full 1000G this time lol.

It is an incredible game, especially considering the budget. Swery's vision is no less than say Kojima, in terms of ambition.

Does anyone know if there is a Deadly Premonition mod that removes the shooting sections and just makes the game into an Adventure game? After finishing hospital shooting section I quit the game as it tested my patience.

Where the fuck is this masterpiece?
Plus.. we all agree to forget that shitty third season

I like that theme, but music copyright is on a whole other level. Nobody wants to f@%k with that mack daddy. Also, no! The third season had some redeeming qualities.

Where the fuck is this masterpiece?
Plus.. we all agree to forget that shitty third season

I still need to finish the 3rd one. I paused watching it cause I found it a little...dense.

That video of Angelo is amazing, saw it a few years ago. Twin Peaks was one of the scariest series back in the 90s when I was a child.
The first episode is so, so intense...

Top Bottom