• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch pays $25m to buy Bebo.

Vanethyr

giphy.gif

Yes, that Bebo.

While Facebook makes a bold move into cryptocurrency to capitalise on its multi-billion user base, a social network that was once a credible competitor to it has quietly been snapped up by a subsidiary of Amazon. TechCrunch has learned and confirmed that Bebo, one of the earlier platforms to let people share thoughts and media with their friends, has been acquired by Twitch, the streaming video platform owned by Amazon. Together the two will be working on building out Twitch’s esports business, and specifically Twitch Rivals.

A spokesperson for Twitch confirmed the acquisition, which includes both people (around 10 employees) and IP, but declined to provide further comment.

From what we understand from our sources, Twitch paid up to $25 million for the company earlier this month, after beating out at least two other bidders, Discord (which itself has been building out its own esports business), and… wait for it… Facebook. (Our source says the latter offered $20 million.) Indeed, LinkedIn profiles for ex-Bebo employees — see here, here, and here — now at Twitch note June as the changeover date. (Note: original sources say $25 million, others close to the deal say it was materially less than this. As you know, these things can be described differently depending on who is doing the describing.)

More at the link - it might be a lot less than the $850m AOL paid for it back in 2008, but at least that would have been nearer the time anyone actually used the site...

I won't blame you if you thought you misread the title, I certainly did.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
WTF is Bebo?

I don't think I've ever heard of Bebo before. Did the site have some sort of niche that it started out with? I know before the Friendster/Myspace time, there were some community based sites that were around. I think black planet was the biggest, and is still clawing onto life somehow. Did Bebo still have a small userbase keeping them afloat?

Ornlu

Banned
That is certainly something. Literally everyone I knew had a Bebo account from age 11-13 (UK, 2008-2010) and then it just suddenly disappeared, lol.

Ah, now it makes sense. According to their Wikipedia page, it was hot in the UK and Ireland. Here in the US, I haven't heard of it until this thread.

mcjmetroid

I don't think I've ever heard of Bebo before. Did the site have some sort of niche that it started out with? I know before the Friendster/Myspace time, there were some community based sites that were around. I think black planet was the biggest, and is still clawing onto life somehow. Did Bebo still have a small userbase keeping them afloat?

In certain countries like Ireland and the UK Bebo was way more used than Myspace.

It was most people's first venture into social media until Facebook came along.

Facebook was too convenient with it's instant messaging at the time. Bebo tried to fight back but it was too late.

Tremmy

Neo Member
Jesus. Bebo is something I haven't heard in almost 15 years. Figured it kinda fell off the planet along with the rest of pre-facebook social media.

Grinchy

Banned
I had never heard of it. I wonder if the company just owns some kind of patent that was worth buying the company for or something.

LOLCats

Banned
Im too old to know what bebo is i guess.

Interesting story there. Guys rip AOL off for 595m profit for the site then end buying it back for 1million nearly ten years later. Then they sell it again for 24m profit.

Last edited:

Thabass

I met one of the people from Bebo at PAX East in 2018. It was a streaming app like SLOBS. Then they turned it into a tournament app and then I lost complete interest in it.

Top Bottom