• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Virginia television journalists fatally shot in on-air attack[READ OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wrap my head around the fact that I was on that guys twitter account right when he posted the video, it popped up and started playing.

like.. the internet is fucking crazy.

I need a break, and I want to hug my daughter.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
You guys need to see the fps video. It is a slap in the face of what reality is in 2015. Everyone should see the world we live in now.

I saw the vids but I can't really process what I saw. I just couldn't believe it was real.
What a world we live in. :(

I saw some tweets about Variety sharing the video.

CNWIZHHUsAQw7tJ.jpg:large

shaking my head

I don't see why you're making a big deal out of that. It's reporters being killed. The entertainment business covers reporters in general.

mcrommert

Banned
Calling him "evil" is lazy and just deflects from the issues of mental illness andlets them go unchecked, which often culminates in situations like this one today. People need to stop that shit. This isn't a comic book.

Not every murderer is mentally ill...always blaming mental disease makes us live in a pretend world where there is no free choice and the only reason anyone does anything wrong is a biological mistake

There is evil in the world whether you believe in it or not--and by ignoring it you're letting it grow

I watched the video that cuts before the actual act and felt a pit in my stomach. I regret watching that, let alone the full video that was out there. :/

RIP to the reporters, truly sickening.

You watched the worst part. The actual shooting was fast and jerky, you didn't see much. But him just putting the gun out there, that was ominous.

The world we live now is also much safer than it was 40 years ago. The only reason why we are all obsessed about this murder over 100s more than happened last night is because it was filmed...

I'm not even commenting about the murder. It's the way he films it. It's so emblematic of the selfie age. I can't even put it into words. There are thousands of murder videos on liveleak right now. This one though is just insane.

Watevaman

Just got off the phone with my girlfriend. She says she saw at least 30 cop cars and some more heavily armored vehicles as well along her trek up 81. Hoping for sure that the shooter is confirmed dead soon.

Daft_Cat

No, we really don't.

I saw it because I clicked the Twitter page just as it was uploaded, and I wish that I hadn't. I already know that such horrible things happen without having to have it seared into my brain.

EDIT

This was a bit hot-headed. I don't want to offend anyone who felt justifiably traumatized by that footage (I am too). I think horrifying images can effectively generate empathy, but there's a fine line between that and morbid curiosity/click-bait.

UltraMav

I'm surprised as well, didn't know there were journalists with a second name for TV.

In my small market newsroom it seems to be common among female TV reporters. They have a "brand" to stick with and don't change it for marriage, or use alternate last names they think sounds better than their real ones. Also helps them somewhat avoud potential stalkers, I assume.

I saw the vids but I can't really process what I saw. I just couldn't believe it was real.
What a world we live in. :(

Same here. Before he lifted the gun up I was like, "wait, how am I seeing this?" Then he lifted the gun and I realised. I didn't even know who's Twitter page I was on or anything. Didn't know what to expect, I just randomly clicked a link I saw. :/

Why would you want to see it?

Morbid curiosity.

Not every murderer is mentally ill...always blaming mental disease makes us live in a pretend world where there is no free choice and the only reason anyone does anything wrong is a biological mistake

There is evil in the world whether you believe in it or not--and by ignoring it you're letting it grow

I think you can treat mental illness seriously while at the same time not absolving all personal responsibility though. I'm not saying people who are crazy should not be held accountable for their actions.

I'm form reform, but if he didn't have a gun we'd have seen a first person account of him stabbing someone from behind and then chasing the rest.

I'm at the gym now. Beyond sad for the people involved.

Calling him "evil" is lazy and just deflects from the issues of mental illness andlets them go unchecked, which often culminates in situations like this one today. People need to stop that shit. This isn't a comic book.

Seeing as how you're a mental health expert, please enlighten us on how this is related to his mental health, because what I can see is a fucking coward who killed 2 other people unrelated to his reported EEOC incident with Ms. Parker.

Mr. Ward and Ms. Gardner in surgery did nothing to deserve being attacked.

can anyone dm a link to the gopro footage?

Really?

jerry113

Banned
I'm form reform, but if he didn't have a gun we'd have seen a first person account of him stabbing someone from behind and then chasing the rest.

I'm at the gym now. Beyond sad for the people involved.

If he had a knife those victims could've had a better chance at survival.

Guns and knives are incomparable. Knives can't mow down an entire room at once.

Seeing as how you're a mental health expert, please enlighten us on how this is related to his mental health, because what I can see is a fucking coward who killed 2 other people unrelated to his reported EEOC incident with Ms. Parker.

Mr. Ward and Ms. Gardner in surgery did nothing to deserve being attacked.

What would you call it? Do perfectly sane and stable individuals walk up to a group fo 3, two of which "did nothing to deserve being attacked" and start firing? It's not a huge stretch to think he was all there upstairs and something caused him to snap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom