• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. Employers Struggle To Match Workers With Open Jobs

snacknuts

we all knew her
When I worked as a temp in healthcare 3 years ago:

I was hired in a group of 5. After a matter of a few weeks, I was the only one left.
I saw another group of 4 get hired. They all dropped out quickly after training.
I saw another group of 15 get hired. They either dropped out or were let go for not being good enough. It was a position that required high quality control after all. Only one was left over.

I quit after a year for a better opportunity because I was one of the best temps and even received a "high recommendation" for a permanent job posting, but since I was an external employee I was completely blocked from the opportunity. I was just as qualified (if not more so) than even the internal applicants. I honestly hate how temp agencies work and I hate how I was receiving less money than I should've been with zero benefits to boot, even though I had exemplary performance.

It's like, they'd rather go through the effort of training and paying a bunch of potential flakes than trying to bring in a few good people and offer them proper compensation for good work and loyalty. It just creates a cycle of turnover.

This is a problem with the company where you were placed and not with the placement agency. I started my current job six years ago as a temp making $15/hr. Within a couple weeks they knew they wanted to hire me and put me on higher-level tasks than those I had initially been assigned. We talked about it and agreed that they would hire me earlier than it would be required for them to get out of paying the bonus to the temp agency to make me a direct hire. Since then I have been promoted a few times and am making more than triple what my initial temp pay was.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
How do they operate without filling those jobs? Eventually something has to give, right?

From my experience, they hire temps in the meanwhile, then get rid of them when they don't meet the spec, and just keep cycling through this process. Not me personally, but my old company had a lot of temps, and that was the pattern.

A big problem is "key word" hiring. Companies don't use paper resumes anymore, they use internet forms. A huge chunk of potential employees are weeded out by algorithms and assistants before they even come to a set of human eyes in HR. Unless you use certain key words and key phrases your resume simply will not even get viewed. Human Resources isn't "human" anymore. You have to play some kind of stupid "beat the system" game these days before you even become a consideration.

Key word hiring is worse than useless when it comes to upper level and skilled positions. I had an application return to me as rejected for not having a business or economics major in undergrad, despite having an MBA and a decade of experience.

YourMaster

Companies ask for too much experience and degrees. But on the other hand, because they can't expect people to stick around for a decade or more, it is also very costly to train them and then see them jump ship because they now have the experience. Hard problem to fix.

Not that hard.
If you have an employee you want to train, reward him for completion with a raise and charge him for the training. Don't actually make him pay these costs unless he leaves the company and after a set period of time (when the employer has made the money back on the training) this is payed off.
The employee wanting to leave for a new job with his new training will now ask his new employer looking to headhunt him to take over these costs of leaving, thus sharing the costs of this training between employers.

Beyond that, make sure people enjoy the working conditions, and feel loyal to their employer. Which again comes from paying them what they deserve, give them a raise when they are worth it not only when they ask for it.

Grifter

A symptom of companies cost-cutting down to the bone is that non-essential essentials get outsourced.

That includes HR, which leads to vendors with the term "talent acquisition" in their titles doing the bare-minimum keyword scanning and filtering without keeping either side of the hiring equation in the loop (the actual workers and hiring managers), and not giving a shit about the traditional hiring rep roles of representing the company or digging to find the best available matches.

GodofWine

Companies used to train people to do things. Now they expect incoming employees to know how to use very specific systems as a prerequisite. It always kinda pissed me off. I graduated summa cum laude from a top 20 University. I can figure it out.

This. So very THIS.

So many companies, have so many different systems, so saying something like ABC Inventory System Experience is required, when there could be 100 different systems in use...so infuriating. Like, I've told people on interviews, "I taught myself to code because I was bored, I can figure out how to enter and extract info from your system".

Or just super specific requirements that literally would require them poaching 1 of about 100 people from another company in North America to fill, versus looking for any glimmer of potential in a person.

Well that's what happens when every entry level job demands years of experience. You can't get the job without experience and you can't get the experience without a damn job.

It's always been this way though. What people don't realize is that often you can just apply anyway and get the job. It might even help you, because while everyone else is passing up the job due to not having the qualifications, you can slide right in without having to compete against too many candidates

Super Mario

Banned
Not that hard.
If you have an employee you want to train, reward him for completion with a raise and charge him for the training. Don't actually make him pay these costs unless he leaves the company and after a set period of time (when the employer has made the money back on the training) this is payed off.
The employee wanting to leave for a new job with his new training will now ask his new employer looking to headhunt him to take over these costs of leaving, thus sharing the costs of this training between employers.

Beyond that, make sure people enjoy the working conditions, and feel loyal to their employer. Which again comes from paying them what they deserve, give them a raise when they are worth it not only when they ask for it.

So your proposed fix is to slap an employee leaving a company with a "training fee?" How would this be quantified? Would you be ok if you quit your current job, and you were charged $3,000 for "training?"

How do they operate without filling those jobs? Eventually something has to give, right?

Because maybe the sky really isn't falling

Kite

If you don't meet the minimum experience requirements, apply anyways. I've interviewed at a few places where that is very flexible. And you can fudge those numbers a bit yourself if you've ever worked part time, done internships or did military service. For my current gig I flipped my 4 years in the Army in a finance unit as office and business-related experience.

So your proposed fix is to slap an employee leaving a company with a "training fee?" How would this be quantified? Would you be ok if you quit your current job, and you were charged $3,000 for "training?"

My current job did this by including a signing bonus that would have to be paid back if I left within 2 years of hire. They don't say it's for training explicitly, but it works the same way.

Chozoman

Banned
Had a recruiter contact me about a job recently, (QA Manager).

The job description was basically a 1-man QA department. The first few were fine for a QA Manager, then you have to become QA Engineer, QA Analyst, QA Lead, QA Tester...all rolled into one for a single pitiful salary
  • Implement QA processes and procedures for company
  • Create estimates and schedules for all initiatives
  • Create and disseminate project reports
  • Foster an environment of continuous improvement
  • Research, Implement and execute on automation solutions
  • Create and maintain test plans and cases
  • Maintain bug databse
  • Lead testing efforts
  • Execute test cases
  • etc, etc

These are different skill sets based on different levels of experience and career paths. Fuck that noise.

entremet

It's always been this way though. What people don't realize is that often you can just apply anyway and get the job. It might even help you, because while everyone else is passing up the job due to not having the qualifications, you can slide right in without having to compete against too many candidates

Yep. I always apply to jobs above my experience grade. Not completely, but if I don't hit a few bullet points in the job spec and the call me for the interview, I can discuss at that time.

Incidentally, men are more likely to apply for jobs above their perceived experience and skill level than women. Many think this is a contributor to the gender pay gap as well.

VariantX

Well that's what happens when every entry level job demands years of experience. You can't get the job without experience and you can't get the experience without a damn job.

Yep. Its been insane for years. There are people right now either in an unemployment office or just sitting in front of a computer filling out endless resumes that could be employed today if not for the ridiculous requirements to get work. Employers just don't want to shoulder any of the responsibility anymore, just handed a perfect employee to immediately go in and be nearly as productive as other long time employees.

I remember seeing a job posting that required 10 years of web development experience, and a total of 15 years experience in software development.

This was 2001.

Holy shit, literally before the internet was a real thing to most people.

Earendil

I remember seeing a job posting that required 10 years of web development experience, and a total of 15 years experience in software development.

This was 2001.

I could see if they had said they wanted 10-15 years of software development experience, but expecting 10 years in web development experience when the web hadn't been around that long was amusing.

Figgles

I am a logistics analyst. No college. I worked my way up from the bottom. I am going to have a tough time finding a better paying job in this field without the degree. The list of requirements for most jobs is absurd.

This was 2001.

I could see if they just said they wanted 10-15 years of software development experience, but expecting 10 years in web development experience when the web hadn't been around that long was amusing.

Because that are wortless phrases written by some random HR guy. They are just a silly way of saying they want a senior web developer, maybe with some team leading experience.

Mupod

Canadian, but the exact job interview that made me give up on my hometown entirely was for a junior IT helpdesk position. The only requirements listed were some networking stuff and A+ level proficiency.

They wanted someone with programming and database administrator experience. For $12/hour. I had to do a timed test and was very, very confused by what they gave me since it didn't match the job posting in any way.

This. So very THIS.

So many companies, have so many different systems, so saying something like ABC Inventory System Experience is required, when there could be 100 different systems in use...so infuriating. Like, I've told people on interviews, "I taught myself to code because I was bored, I can figure out how to enter and extract info from your system".

Or just super specific requirements that literally would require them poaching 1 of about 100 people from another company in North America to fill, versus looking for any glimmer of potential in a person.

LOL i bolded the best part. I also taught myself to program and have moved on to data science, including machine learning. I've spent 2 years of my free time on this.

Someone on an interview a few weeks back was questioning my tableau skills. fuck you man. give me some fucking credit. If I can deploy a neural network I can fucking make you a presentation in tableau.

its insanely frustrating.

Canadian, but the exact job interview that made me give up on my hometown entirely was for a junior IT helpdesk position. The only requirements listed were some networking stuff and A+ level proficiency.

They wanted someone with programming and database administrator experience. For $12/hour. I had to do a timed test and was very, very confused by what they gave me since it didn't match the job posting in any way.

Wow.

Come interview time they want all these other qualifications that were not listed for the job and you're stuck there feeling bamboozled.

Such a waste of time.

LOL i bolded the best part. I also taught myself to program and have moved on to data science, including machine learning. I've spent 2 years of my free time on this.

Someone on an interview a few weeks back was questioning my tableau skills. fuck you man. give me some fucking credit. If I can deploy a neural network I can fucking make you a presentation in tableau.

its insanely frustrating.

Those pretty graphs are important though!

Chozoman

Banned
Or when you get a call back and on the phone interview, the first question is related to a skill NOT INCLUDED ON YOUR RESUME?!?!?!

Why the fuck did you call me if that's the most important thing?

I think the real headline here is:
"U.S. Employers Struggle To Match Workers With Open Jobs due to stagnant, outmoded, myopic HR protocols"

Companies used to train people to do things. Now they expect incoming employees to know how to use very specific systems as a prerequisite. It always kinda pissed me off. I graduated summa cum laude from a top 20 University. I can figure it out.

Exactly this. Especially in the IT field. They want someone entry level and right out of college, but they want that same person to have the exact knowledge of experience of a specific program that the person would have no way to know about. I've seen it where they want people right out college, but you need to have 3+ years of experience? What the fuck? And not only that, they expect to that you'd be okay with being paid as much as a employee at Sheetz.

I've literally found 3+ year experience jobs that have a long ass list of tasks, experiences needed and so on, and they want to only pay you $12 an hour and MAYBE you'll get benefits and MAYBE get full time. Fuck you. You cheap fucks.

I'm lucky as fuck to have the job I have now as a full time senior IT technician and getting a better pay than $12 an hour, but I know these companies can easily pay more. But nope, most of the time, the bottom line is lining the executive's pockets so that we get nothing.

I remember working for another company where the bosses would expect you to do WAY more than your contract says so, asking you to basically do free OT and then rate you low enough in your evaluations so that you don't get a bonus, but the bonus goes right to the manager that graded you.

The demand for college degrees is pretty crazy at this point. People want to require them for everything even jobs that have no business at all in making them a requirement. People are getting into huge debt obtaining one and then leaving school with all these bills and starting with shit pay at the lowest end of the ladder. Don't have a degree and all that debt? Well you can't even land the entry level job.

Keep in mind I'm all in favor of higher education and learning as much as you can but the current work requirement for many of these jobs is asinine. There are plenty of talented people out there without one who are just being passed over / overlooked for no reason.

g11

That was the problem I ran into before I basically lucked into a job working for the company of a family friend. Every job I applied to, even low-rung ones, wanted 2-5 years experience which in most cases was completely asinine. Turns out the answer to the catch-22 is they want you to do an internship during or right out of college for what amounts to slave wages in most Western countries. Or so I have been told.

This was 2001.

I could see if they had said they wanted 10-15 years of software development experience, but expecting 10 years in web development experience when the web hadn't been around that long was amusing.

Wf8do5b.jpg

Ozigizo

Nintendo uses lots and lots of contract workers at under market wage with no benefits. Basically, they keep getting more people based on name recognition alone.

They also offer low wages for actual employees as well.

Sanke__

Nintendo uses lots and lots of contract workers at under market wage with no benefits. Basically, they keep getting more people based on name recognition alone.

Yeah this is a real problem

Same thing was a huge issue when I worked for Disney

I3rand0

The job description was basically a 1-man QA department. The first few were fine for a QA Manager, then you have to become QA Engineer, QA Analyst, QA Lead, QA Tester...all rolled into one for a single pitiful salary
  • Maintain bug databse
  • Lead testing efforts
  • Execute test cases
  • etc, etc

These are different skill sets based on different experience and career paths. Fuck that noise.

Yep, I've seen this consolidation a lot recently with Business Analysts and Project Managers creating some sort of hybrid role where they want you responsible for both. I don't want to work 80 hours a week and get paid for 40, but thanks.

linkboy

A big problem is "key word" hiring. Companies don't use paper resumes anymore, they use internet forms. A huge chunk of potential employees are weeded out by algorithms and assistants before they even come to a set of human eyes in HR. Unless you use certain key words and key phrases your resume simply will not even get viewed. Human Resources isn't "human" anymore. You have to play some kind of stupid "beat the system" game these days before you even become a consideration.

Pretty much. There's a part time opening at one of the AT&T stores here in town. I'm pretty damn knowledgeable when it comes to cell phones and helping customers, and I've worked in customer service for 17 years (5 years at Wal-Mart and my time in the Air Force was a customer service career field).

I applied and was denied without even talking to a person.

It's crap.

I'm currently stuck slaving away at Wal-Mart for $12 an hour because it's the only place I could get a job. It's impacting my school and my stress level, but I need the money.

Thankfully, it looks like I've got something lined up at T-Mobile, which will be a lot less stressful then Wal-Mart.

nel e nel

I also notice that companies don't really want to invest in people. Employees are disposable and that same mentality is seen in recruitment.

Depends. There has been a shift in the past decade or so because employers are finally catching on that workers are shifting jobs/companies every 3-5 years or so. That's why you now see a lot of company perks with generous time off, professional development funds, etc etc.

I work in workforce development, and the current trend with non-profits is 'opportunity youth' (aka minorities and underrepresented individuals). There is a big push for employers to take chances on 'non-traditional' candidates (non-college degrees, etc), but convincing industry to shift their expectations is a huge undertaking as college degrees have been entrenched in society as a gatekeeper for so long.

Helznicht

If you don't meet the minimum experience requirements, apply anyways. I've interviewed at a few places where that is very flexible. And you can fudge those numbers a bit yourself if you've ever worked part time, done internships or did military service. For my current gig I flipped my 4 years in the Army in a finance unit as office and business-related experience.

This was suggested a couple times, and I agree. Anecdotal, but last 3 positions I have applied for I was not "qualified" for per the listed requirements. I have gotten all 3 positions.

Yep, I've seen this consolidation a lot recently with Business Analysts and Project Managers creating some sort of hybrid role where they want you responsible for both. I don't want to work 80 hours a week and get paid for 40, but thanks.

Exactly where I am at. I was in an international business development role and moved to a product management role that was in the same department (with a nice bump in pay due to now being responsible for a profit and loss center). My previous role was never re-filled, so now I just do both to the best of my ability.

Syraxith

If anything this is hard proof that people are not being held back because the requirements are too high, but rather because they're paying attention to the requirements in the first place

Either they had HR write that job posting in the image, or they're trying to abuse the H-1B visa system.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
When I was looking through IT listings a few years ago most companies had a giant list of skills they required, but most of them were not connected to one another. Then they wanted stuff like 24/7 oncall and the pay was always shitty.

This is a big reason why me and my wife started our business.

Master's degrees in non joke fields where so many jobs ask for 5 years experience and pay shit? Why waste our time?

Either they had HR write that job posting in the image, or they're trying to abuse the H-1B visa system.

Here's the hint, if it's a tech company with more than like 50 employees odds are they are abusing the current H-1B system.

ev0

• Maintain bug databse
  • Lead testing efforts
  • Execute test cases
  • etc, etc

These are different skill sets based on different levels of experience and career paths. Fuck that noise.

This reminds me of a job I applied to at an educational company looking to grow its digital team where the title was Producer / Game Designer.
Which is fine, as there's overlap there and I have experience in both.

However after talking with them it turns out they basically wanted a person to be the Lead Producer and Lead Game Designer; but really the most annoying part was they wanted this person for $40k

Fuck you employers and your post recession employers' market bullshit fleecing of employees.

I hope these fucking cunts get a karmic slap in the face. They are basically stifling an already debt burdened, highly credentialed generation by being petty penny pinches who are horrified to admit that Millennials are actually much more qualified than they ever were when they first entered the work force.

This is a reciprocal relationship, though. Companies can only take the risk in investing in your training if they can expect you to stay around. However, once you have been trained, you can get a higher salary at another company that did not waste money on training, so you'll probably move. So companies don't take the risk in investing in you.

Company training relied on the cultural glue and social norms of company loyalty. It's not clear to me how we overcome that problem now we live in such an atomised society.

In this problem the solution is to build Company Culture and treat your employees well.

The larger problem, imo, is when companies take the tactic of asking for Over-qualified employees to fill entry level positions because they feel a degree shows that a person is willing to stick around and finish what they've started. These employees will never be happy with entry level pay and responsibilities and are far more likely to leave no matter what the company does. Meanwhile, people without the qualifications that could do the job and would have less outside opportunities (due to not being over-qualified) never even apply because the job posting eliminates them automatically.

Require qualifications that fit the job and improve company culture and employee benefits and your workforce will stick around and do the job well because they're happy.

Top Bottom