• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. second-largest oil refining complex being shut down.

KSweeley

Just reported that the second-largest oil refining complex in the U.S. is being shut down: http://www.chron.com/business/energ...ng-complex-12003468.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop

Exxon Mobil is in the process of shutting down the nation's second-largest refining complex in Baytown as the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey continues to wreak havoc.

The Baytown campus, which also produces petrochemicals, can churn out up to 560,000 barrels of fuel a day, a major source of the Gulf Coast and nation's gasoline supplies.

"Safety is our first priority, and we have taken all the precautions to minimize impact to community and employees throughout the shutdown process," Exxon Mobil spokeswoman Suann Guthrie said.

Previously, refineries were shuttered temporarily in Corpus Christi by Valero Energy, Citgo Petroleum and Flint Hills Resources and Harvey prepared to make landfall. Now Houston refining corridor is beginning to close.

More than 25 percent of the nation's fuel supplies are produced just along the Texas Gulf Coast.

Maybe top those tanks off sometime today.
Gas has already been going up a cent or more a day over the past few days. This won't help.

Yeah I figured this was a matter of time. Filled up Friday just in case. I mean in the scheme of things, I'm only saving probably a buck or two, but, meh.

SDCowboy

A natural disaster isn't exactly an excuse.

It will likely lead to being an excuse for higher prices because the refinery being shut down for a small period of time should have little to no impact on gas prices. But prices will likely shoot up regardless, and then take forever to come back down.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Austin gas stations are already running out. This is the secondary story that isn't being covered. There will be major shortages in Texas for a week.

SpecX

Honestly why aren't more refineries being built? I know they aren't pretty, but they are needed as demand increases and shit like this happens.

alejob

Great. Yet another excuse for higher prices.

What irritates me is that gas has been going up here for a month now, way before the hurricane was a thought. It's the highest it's been in a long time and yet crude prices are still under 50 and we've seen seen it higher than it is.

I

Good. If they had a catastrophic failure due to flooding, pipe backup, or even just breakage due to windspeed, we'd be looking at an ecological disaster that could rival the Deepwater Horizon.

Higher gas prices are a bummer, but it was the right choice. Maybe now's the time for them to invest more in alternative energy sources.

The title kind of sounds like the place is closing down for good but it's only to prepare for the hurricane. soooo this is a good thing basically tbh

Top Bottom