• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. Senate advances nomination of Tillerson as Secretary of State

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

The U.S. Senate advanced the nomination of former Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM.N) Chief Executive Rex Tillerson on Monday to be President Donald Trump's secretary of state, moving closer to filling a key seat on the Republican's national security team despite partisan rancor over Trump's immigration order.

The vote was 56 to 43 to move toward a final confirmation vote after up to 30 hours' debate, putting a final vote very early on Wednesday, if senators do not agree to change the time.

The vote broke largely along party lines. Every Republican favored advancing the nomination and all but four members of the Democratic caucus voted against it.

The Senate's Democratic leader, Chuck Schumer, and several other members of the party tried, but failed, to delay considering Tillerson because of Trump's executive order banning immigration from seven mostly Muslim countries and temporarily halting the entry of refugees.

They said they wanted to question Tillerson more closely on his views on Muslim immigration. During his confirmation hearing, the former oil executive said he did not support a "blanket-type rejection" of any group of people.

Democrats said that statement seemed to contradict Trump's order.

Trump and his supporters, including many Republicans, said his order is necessary to keep Americans safe and is not intended to ban Muslims, despite addressing only Muslim-majority nations whose citizens have not been involved in attacks on the United States.

They said it was important to fill important slots on Trump's national security team quickly.

"As we proceed in ensuring the new administration has the leaders it needs to implement our nation's foreign policy going forward, I have great confidence Rex Tillerson will serve the United States well," Senator Bob Corker, the Republican chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said.

The four Dems:

Sens. Joe Manchin III of West Virginia, Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota and Mark R. Warner of Virginia, all of whom face re-election next year. Democratic-leaning independent Sen. Angus S. King Jr. of Maine also voted to advance Mr. Tillerson's nomination.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jan/30/rex-tillerson-cleared-for-confirmation-vote-in-sen/

entremet

Democrats can't even fall in line during this disastrous administration.

What a spineless buncha cowards those four are.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is it wrong that my first thought is "it honestly doesn't matter, its clear that Trump and Bannon aren't going to bother doing anything with their Secretaries anyway"?

Did people rly think part of Trump's Legion of Doom would not get in? Any Dem that voted for Tillerson should be kicked out of the senate immediatly

Africanus

The left cannot eat the left.

We need all the democrats we can get at this time, even those who genuflect to conservative interests.

In better seasons for liberals they can be replaced, but they will likely be key votes in certain future issues, and I'd rather not have more Republican senators.

All that being said, those Democrats are the worst kind of turncoats.

Jarmel

Banned
It's amazing how Republicans just sign off on all this shit. Of course the oil companies stuck their hand up Rubio's ass and made him shut up.

tbm24

Unbelievable. They can't even get themselves together enough to rally against Trump's dictatorship.
Not all democrats are the same for everything. Those who broke, possibly with the exception of King and Warner aren't surprises.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Those Dems are all in red, red-leaning, or purple states. You guys need to understand that a full on liberal cannot be run in every situation. Center left Dems will need to be a thing where appropriate.

Otherwise you can guarantee losing 3-4 seats just from those people alone.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Didn't even have to look to know it was Joe Manchin

I'm kinda surprised he hasn't just switched parties yet

Those Dems are all in red, red-leaning, or purple states. You guys need to understand that a full on liberal cannot be run in every situation. Center left Dems will need to be a thing where appropriate.

I'm still gonna flip them off.

I guess I'm a bit perplexed by this view sometimes. Like if Joe Manchin votes against gun restrictions or something that hurts coal jobs, he's just representing the people who elected him. He doesn't represent Democrats from NYC, he represents them in WV. On the other hand, he votes for stuff like medicare expansions that WV wants as well.

Doesn't make sense to me to chastise someone for fulfilling the wishes of their constituency.

I don't understand why any dem is going along with this? What the fuck.

The vast majority of the country is right leaning or center-right. These states are all either red or tossups. They have to pick their battles a bit more and cannot be ultra liberals. Otherwise, those seats go guaranteed red more than likely. Which is a worst proposition.

RPGCrazied

entremet

I don't understand why any dem is going along with this. What the fuck.

Dems never been about that consensus life.

I mean, look how we tear each other apart here lol.

Basically, progressivism is always inching toward new stages to conquer. Conservatism is the opposite. That's where the tension will always be with progressives. The fight then becomes who is progressive enough, while conservative display a unified front.

Kusagari

The vast majority of the country is right leaning or center-right. These states are all either red or tossups. They have to pick their battles a bit more and cannot be ultra liberals. Otherwise, those seats go guaranteed red more than likely. Which is a worst proposition.

The vast majority of the electorate isn't going to remember if their senator voted yes or no on a cabinet pick in 2 years. I find this excuse really flimsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom