• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uber might lose license in London if TFL decide not to renew (Up: not renewed)

Izuna

Banned
Another girl I know got driven to the wrong address by a Uber driver. When she complained, he said this was what she said, she replied it wasn't and wouldn't be paying. So the driver locked all the doors and didn't let her out until she paid. She was a lil drunk so didn't think of calling the police at the time and then had to walk by herself home. She reported it next day to Uber and they said the guy had been fired, but ahe saw him driving a Uber cab the next week.

That doesn't make ANY SENSE FOR UBER.

It's all done through the app via card. And the complaint process is automatic if you go to the help page.

What the hell?

Not calling you a liar but I can't make sense of this.

--

I'm trying to think. Did she have a windows phone? It's the only device where you don't put the destination in and can still call them. Or did she take someone else's Uber?

How does this happen with Uber? Isn't the whole point that you put in the address yourself on the app and then paying goes from your credit card when you arrive?
Despite having GPS, I've still seen Uber drivers manage to fuck this up. And god forbid you want multiple drop offs - very few times I've asked for that have they been able to handle that well.

Raide

Black Cabbies are Uber salty about not being able to monopolize and fleece customers. As bad/dirty etc that Uber is supposed to be, they are important parts of many peoples commutes to work and social life. Areas of London Black Cabs won't come to, so Uber is a godsend.

If TFL had renewed their license then they would effectively be saying "It's OK for licensed taxi operators in London to have a poor record of reporting crimes against their passengers or taking appropriate steps to prevent them in the first place". Which doesn't strike me as being a particularly good stance for them to take since it'd call into question whether any of the other operators are as bad.

I agree, and whilst I love the service, I don't have a problem with TFL withdrawing their license as a stick to get them to improve. But I think the point stands that if safety's a primary concern, there are already alternatives with better records available to people.

Jezbollah

I just saw this in my inbox:

Dear Dan,

As you may have heard, the Mayor and Transport for London have announced they will not be renewing Uber’s licence to operate in our city when it expires on 30 September.

We are sure Londoners will be as astounded as we are by this decision. By trying to ban the app from the capital, the Mayor and Transport for London have caved in to a small number of people who want to restrict consumer choice.

Not only will this decision deprive you of the choice of a convenient way of getting about town, it will also put more than 40,000 licensed drivers who rely on our app out of work.

We will be immediately challenging this decision in court.

If you want to continue using the Uber app in London - and to defend the livelihoods of 40,000 licensed drivers - please sign this petition urging the Mayor to think again.

Tom Elvidge,
Uber London

Uber treats their drivers like comodifiable human garbage and the "young people" who support them are complicit in this "cuz it's so cheap and convenient bruh".

Get your head out out silicon valley's ass and see the exploitative shit they are doing to people and the world around you.

I don't think his point was "the market says it's OK to rape people", his point was that Uber is being held up as unsafe, but if what you're concerned about is safety then there are already alternatives that are seemingly safer - namely, the ones that would still be here should Uber disappear. Getting rid of Uber doesn't make the other suppliers - mini cabs, black cabs etc - any safer. So if you want to use them now, you can.

...My point was a critique of this exact point. The 'market' doesn't necessarily care for those things. It doesn't necessarily care for any standard beyond simply the service as rendered to the average customer - which frankly is only a fraction of the overall issue, which is more to do with the overall business structure and its standards. Alternatives existing does not suddenly mean people will be using them, so acting as if that's automatically a good enough substitute for actually holding Uber to task for failing to meet standards is silly. The market doesn't care, so the government has stepped in.

That's part of why it's there.

FyreWulff

The only way uber being a carpooling app is believable is if they limited you to giving two rides a day - obstensily into work, and back.

It very obviously is a taxi service.

can we have a ride hailing company that actually pays a non risible amount of tax? I'd support them to the hilt. as it stands, I have a hard time feeling bad about this.

Izuna

Banned
Uber treats their drivers like comodifiable human garbage and the "young people" who support them are complicit in this "cuz it's so cheap and convenient bruh".

Get your head out out silicon valley's ass and see the exploitative shit they are doing to people and the world around you.

I'm sorry cheap and convenient is something you don't appreciate. Before Uber, the idea of a taxi was basically poposterous. Not to mention that prior, to get a cab at anywhere close to where I worked/lived sometimes, you had to book by calling etc.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I love Uber, I don't really follow their business practises but from a customer POV they're great. I had a trip to the hospital recently and I was quoted a much higher price from a taxi company than Uber, and that's whilst having to book in advance when I can just open Uber and have a guy at my door in 5 minutes normally.

I have no idea how the quality of Uber is in London, but I can say that as an experienced traveler I had literally the worst travel experience, in fact the literal worst experience with a rude human being in my entire life when I took a black taxi ride in London. Any option I could take that would allow me to never have to ride in that service again would be an improvement in my eyes.

Wiped89

Fuck Uber, good riddance.

I got quoted £16 for a fare by Uber when I briefly tried them out. So I rang my local taxi company, and the price was £7. Happened more than once. Uber trades on a cheap reputation but it really isn't.

Add to that the way they refuse to follow basic regulation for drivers, and operate at a massive loss to try to force out competitors and seize the market for itself. It's a disgusting example of an internet based 'disruptor' which thinks it doesn't have to play by the rules.

I'm sorry cheap and convenient is something you don't appreciate. Before Uber, the idea of a taxi was basically poposterous. Not to mention that prior, to get a cab at anywhere close to where I worked/lived sometimes, you had to book by calling etc.

If you live in London there are plenty of decent public transport options (although they are over priced).

Abortedwalrusfetus: I am sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience, I can you were very unlucky on that occassion and got an arsehole driver. I have taken many black taxis and never had anyone who was rude. But obviously there are always some.

acohrs

Cant believe peeps can actually disagree with this decision. Ubers safety record and greyball approach are appalling.

I can't wait until Uber goes away for good. Disgusting business practices aside, their drivers are awful. Things like stopping in traffic lanes to pick up/drop off customers, making illegal u-turns in order to get to their next destination. cutting-off other drivers, and more. Plus, they only contribute to gridlock and traffic headaches since they're just moseying around waiting for their next customer.

You see the same thing with AirBnb fans on this board. "I don't care if AirBnb is ruining the housing markets of larger cities, it's convenient and cheap for me."

I can't wait until Uber goes away for good. Disgusting business practices aside, their drivers are awful. Things like stopping in traffic lanes to pick up/drop off customers, making illegal u-turns in order to get to their next destination. cutting-off other drivers, and more. Plus, they only contribute to gridlock and traffic headaches since they're just moseying around waiting for their next customer.

Yes, because these are exclusive to Uber drivers. Taxi drivers have never been known to drive aggressively/recklessly

Dragnet

Yes, because these are exclusive to Uber drivers. Taxi drivers have never been known to drive aggressively/recklessly

I drive in and out of London daily for work. Uber drivers are degenerates with no regards for the road rules or safety, clogging up the streets while they're at it. Black cabs on the other hand, in my experience mostly drive much more predictably and safely, using correct signalling and not forcing their way across multiple lanes in a disruptive manner constantly. Can't say the same for Addison Lee or any of the 6 seater taxis though, dickheads, the lot of them! Back where I live in Bristol I've had multiple Uber drivers not take me to my correct destination, refuse to drive me a little further up the street, cancelled cabs more than once when they clearly couldn't figure out a way to get to me (was watching on the app), not turning up on time to a prebooked fare and occasional price gouging.

As much as I love the idea and ease of use of Uber, good riddance. Time for taxi companies to step up with an app that does what Uber does, but for themselves.

kiguel182

Uber might be bad but it’s not like cabs are great. Here the cab drivers don’t looks trustful at all and the service is terrible and outdated. At least Uber as a service is way better and in terms of practices both are shitty.

I wish someone created an actual good cab company.

Beefy

How does this happen with Uber? Isn't the whole point that you put in the address yourself on the app and then paying goes from your credit card when you arrive?

That doesn't make ANY SENSE FOR UBER.

It's all done through the app via card. And the complaint process is automatic if you go to the help page.

What the hell?

Not calling you a liar but I can't make sense of this.

--

I'm trying to think. Did she have a windows phone? It's the only device where you don't put the destination in and can still call them. Or did she take someone else's Uber?

No idea, but she didn't take another Uber as the dude called her name. She also paid with cash, she doesn't pay by card. Dude is probably just scum.

Best

What’s the issue with background checks etc - don’t Uber drivers need to get a Private licence issued by TfL? I get all the issues surrounding reporting of crime + Greyball and hopefully Uber will fix this.

What’s the issue with background checks etc - don’t Uber drivers need to get a Private licence issued by TfL? I get all the issues surrounding reporting of crime + Greyball and hopefully Uber will fix this.

You'd hope so but uber seem to be acting like they have been treated unjustly, they are really up shit creak if they think a stupid petition will work

No idea, but she didn't take another Uber as the dude called her name. She also paid with cash, she doesn't pay by card. Dude is probably just scum.

Than it almost surely wasn't an Uber then. There is no option to pay with cash. Sounds like she was ripped off by a taxi driver pretending to be an Uber driver or something

So pleased to hear this, Uber is one of the worst companies around.
I can't believe they were given time to fix the issues and instead chose to do nothing thinking that they are above the law.

Izuna

Banned

Okay forgive me if I'm being silly, but how do you pay via cash?

Because I personally would love to be able to but I'm pretty sure you can't.

Linkura

I'd much rather trust a cabbie than some rando who's never even had a background check.

Here in Boston, the cabbies are absolutely worse. They are often downright unsafe. Thankfully Boston has decent public transportation, and if that doesn't work, we have Lyft.

Meanwhile in Orlando, it was the opposite: the cabbies were safe and professional, and the Uber drivers drove like morons.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
She didn't take an Uber. You can't even order an Uber unless you have a working card on their system, and the pay is automatically deducted.

Murkas

londoners-getting-into-a-black-cab-for-the-first-time-in-years-madeinpoortaste-fucking-hell-i-cant-believe-im-doing-this-faketa-tfJLu.jpg

Dachande

Interesting that a few US peeps have mentioned Lyft in this thread. They have no presence in the UK. So I ask out of ignorance, in what ways are they better? Company ethics, money, employment, etc?

I just saw this in my inbox:

Yep this is what they did in Austin. "Sorry everybody but the big bad gov is making it 'impossible' for us and as a huge corporate Enterprise we can't do anything for a slight change in rules except bitch to you about how mean everyone is to us"

Interesting that a few US peeps have mentioned Lyft in this thread. They have no presence in the UK. So I ask out of ignorance, in what ways are they better? Company ethics, money, employment, etc?

Mostly they've avoided the public management scandals that Uber has had and also they aren't going out and hiring fake rides for Uber drivers to clog up their system (something Uber is doing to them). They still complain about any rules that don't give them complete control to do whatever they want though.

Beefy

Than it almost surely wasn't an Uber then. There is no option to pay with cash. Sounds like she was ripped off by a taxi driver pretending to be an Uber driver or something

She didn't take an Uber. You can't even order an Uber unless you have a working card on their system, and the pay is automatically deducted.

Apparently some regions can pay with cash. She is from Asia and they have a cash option on their app according ti her. As I said I don't know how she paid cash as I have never been able to.

She still says it was her Uber and not a random.

I hear that Uber isn't a good company.

What are better options other than Uber?

Not going out lol, because it sure as fuck isn't taxis and public transportation only runs so late and only covers a limited area, depending on where you live

Apparently some regions can pay with cash. She is from Asia and they have a cash option on their app.

Weird. I admittedly never tried using an Uber when traveling in Asia. Unlike taxis, it's incredibly easy to report bad drivers and leave them poor feedback. She could even complain to Uber and would probably get a refund

Not going out lol, because it sure as fuck isn't taxis and public transportation only runs so late and only covers a limited area, depending on where you live

Yeah, nobody ever managed to get home after a night out in London before Uber. We all just slept in the street until the tube started running again.

Yeah, nobody ever managed to get home after a night out in London before Uber. We all just slept in the street until the tube started running again.

He said a "better options". Taxis are an option, but they're certainly not a better alternative to ride sharing apps. Not yet at least. I know, at least for some American cities, ride sharing apps have fundamentally changed how people get around. They're almost as ubiquitous as traditional public transportation, something taxis never were

He said a "better options". Taxis are an option, but they're certainly not a better alternative to ride sharing apps. Not yet at least. I know, at least for some American cities, ride sharing apps have fundamentally changed how people get around. They're almost as ubiquitous as traditional public transportation, something taxis never were

Given how the post started, pretty sure he meant "better" in the sense of being a better, less shitty company, not a better service.

Taxi apps, seriously will people stop swallowing this "ride share" bullshit

Better ethically, while providing an equal level of service, was the implication. I don't believe taxis do that yet

I mean, Gett exists. It works the same way as Uber but with black cabs. I'm sure it's not quite as good as Uber but lets not pretend Uber is the only app based taxi service, and Lyft will make it here eventually. Or maybe Uber will actually sort their shit out and never leave London!

Izuna

Banned
Apparently some regions can pay with cash. She is from Asia and they have a cash option on their app according ti her. As I said I don't know how she paid cash as I have never been able to.

She still says it was her Uber and not a random.

Bit irrelevant considering this is about Uber in London.

Where in Asia, mind you, because at least I know there is no Uber in Tokyo. I figured that would have been the first place for them to set up shop in that continent.

Beefy

Bit irrelevant considering this is about Uber in London.

Where in Asia, mind you, because at least I know there is no Uber in Tokyo. I figured that would have been the first place for them to set up shop in that continent.

It was while she was in london... Just her app must be still set to where she lives so has that option ( Indonesia)? I am starting to think she is either very confused or it may have been a trial?

Top Bottom