• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Announces Far Cry Compilation

eh. Great deal for those who haven't played these but Ive played them all and the only one that is worth the time is Far Cry 3 IMO.

Far Cry 1 had amazing graphics for its time but I thought the gameplay was kinda "meh"

Far Cry 2 is amazing for the first few hours, then you get bogged down by that malaria crap, insta-respawning enemies at outposts, and the "wash and repeat" approach to mission design.

Blood Dragon was ok, but the best part about Far Cry 3 to me was exploring the environment....which they almost completely removed from Blood Dragon. They just turn the whole island into a dark purpleish black.

Goldrusher

This should clear up the confusion:

far_cry_wild_expeditions-2438566.jpg

North America

Far Cry: Compilation
- Far Cry 2
- Far Cry 3
- Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon

fc_ps3_pack_2d_usk_sm2gs5k.jpg

Europe

Far Cry: The Wild Expedition
- Far Cry
- Far Cry 2
- Far Cry 3
- Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
and 90% of those endless hours in Far Cry 3 is spent picking flowers and sewing together wallets.

Yeah, I would completely switch that around. Play a few hours of Blood Dragon, finish it, turn on FarCry 3 to get a "YOU PLAY A GAME!" achievement and then throw it away, and then play FarCry 2.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh, it's coming to PC? I'm a little angry I bought Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon in Steam sales, then.

Okay, not really since Far Cry 2 was pure crap and Far Cry 1 is the best in the series so far.

Far Cry Classic - Far Cry Classic is the premiere and ultimate console version of the very first Far Cry game. Take the role of charter boat captain, Jack Carver, who finds himself hunted by an unrelenting team of highly trained mercenaries in this nature-gone-wrong FPS adventure. This HD revamp features stunningly realistic foliage, real-time day and night cycles, drivable underwater and flying vehicles which you can commandeer, and more...

So it will basically be the PC version? Or they wouldn't specify it's the ultimate console version.

i've never played the series - is this a good jumping in point?

I would say so. You get a lot of stuff for this price. Far Cry 1 is a very good game, I hope the remake will be good.
Far Cry 2 is not really that good but 3 and Blood Dragon certainly is.
If you want to jump into the series Far Cry 3 is the only important game because the sequels will surely look and play a lot like Far Cry 3 did.

Far Cry 1 was so fun back in the day, but it looks so bad playing it now!

I can't believe my eyes but even Far Cry 2 is looking old! I remember when it first came out how amazing it looked.

Crazy how technology improved so quickly and drastically over a short period of time.

And after seeing Far Cry 3 on a PC with max settings, my old 360 copy feels like a PS2 game!

Is this collection just all the games together or are FarCry 1 and 2 actual re-makes? I own them all on PC already but if it is a re-make of FarCry 1 I will definitely buy it. Absolutely love that game.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Blah. Not interested.

If the compilation was made for the new consoles, I'd be all on board. I'd at least like to see 3 and Blood Dragon get a rerelease for the new gen.

Remember Far Cry 1 was made by Crytek on CryEngine and Ubisoft bought the licence for the series and developed the Dunia Engine for 2 and 3.

Porting that older version of CryEngine to last gen consoles wont be easy as the only people to do it have been Crytek UK for Crysis 1 HD and we don't know how long they spent on it. Could be some weird regional licence only allowing it to come out in the EU as well.

Interesting that they're ignoring Far Cry: Instincts/Evolution/Predator

Not really. Instincts is the downported remake of FC1 PC because the consoles at the time couldn't handle the real deal. This collection gives you the real deal rendering Instincts redundant, despite its differences and unique features.

Evolution is the sequel to Instincts, Predator is the port of those two to 360 and Vengeance is the port of Evolution to Wii.

That's a lot of "Far Cry" in one press release.
And no Far Cry 1.
It's the best game in the series.

this right here, pretty stupid to celebrate 10 years of far cry without including the first one that started the whole thing

I'd hope they would have made a real remake of the first Far Cry but it's okay. I might even buy the collection because I want to play the first one again and I don't have Blood Dragon yet.

DryvBy

I'd have bought the whole pack if Far Cry (PC version) and that mediocre 360 Instincts version was included.

Top Bottom