• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: "On PC, you don't usually care about performance"; just buy a bigger GPU

Oh Ubisoft...

With Uplay, usually we don't really care about the issues and the optimisation, because the idea is that if you can't run our games, we'll never fix it.

uplay is fucking weird. It offers easy twitch streaming, which i applaud, but its 2013 and you still can't preload games, while you can preload ubisoft games on steam.

WHAT THE FUCK

gabbre

BIGGER BIGGER BIGGER

jdY0fvkZRBeV1.png

And yet if he said we have to take people with five-year-old PCs into account and adjust the bells and whistles accordingly, people wouldn't like that.

Or even better: instead of buying a new and bigger GPU, don't buy Ubisoft games! Problem fixed!

Serious question. Does AC4 look better than Far Cry 3? They seem at the same level, more or less.

Then why AC4 runs around 30% worse than Far Cry 3*? (looking at some benchmarks)

tbf i'm sure this is probably just some poorly worded quote/jab or something to compare... i dont know.

It's just weird, Ubisoft usually kinda gives a shit about their pc ports (besides screaming about piracy all the time)even though their inhouse engines are traditionally ass... they do offer ok options and somewhat useable mouse keyboard controls. Heck rayman and sc blacklist both ran fantastic on pc earlier this year.

aeolist

Banned
And yet if he said we have to take people with five-year-old PCs into account and adjust the bells and whistles accordingly, people wouldn't like that.

this is a false dichotomy, other PC ports are well done and run as they should on current hardware without pandering to out of date crap

Zeth

And people hold up Watch Dogs system requirements as evidence of next gen making technological advances and raising the bar in a substantial way. -_-

Grief.exe

Let me break it down for you Ubisoft.

Your games aren't optimized for the platform.
You force all of your games onto a DRM client that has an online check-in prior to loading up.
Your most popular games are dumbed down to ridiculous levels in order to appeal to an audience that doesn't exist on PC.
Your games come over weeks later than the console versions.

I gotta ask, why are you even on the platform at all? Honestly, just pack up and go. I wouldn't be missing anything.

KHlover

Banned
Looks like I can throw my conspiracy theory about devs being sloppy with Next-Gen ports to make you buy new hardware into the garbage bin.

Time for tinfoil hats:With the beginning of the next console generation ports start to suck again.

Coincidence? I think not.

It's no longer a theory. They just outright confirmed it. WTH Ubisoft...

Dennis

Banned
Well, they are not entirely wrong.

I wish they would spend more time and effort optimizing but the

"yeah, well, if you are such a graphics whore just buy better hardware"

attitude is quite common for developers as far as I can see.

"Fuck you. We're not optimizing. Go buy a $1000 video card to compensate for our laziness and stupidity."

The ignorance and stupidity of that statement is too far off the charts to be accurately measured.

Somehow this isn't surprising at all. I'm still not sure what's more pathetic though, them thinking this or the PC version still running better than their supposedly optimized version on consoles.

Naminator

Banned

You force all of your games onto a DRM client that has an online check-in prior to loading up.
Your most popular games are dumbed down to ridiculous levels in order to appeal to an audience that doesn't exist on PC.

I gotta ask, why are you even on the platform at all? Honestly, just pack up and go. I wouldn't be missing anything.

Quoted for truth.

FyreWulff

They're not wrong.

Many devs also don't bother shipping good default control schemes on PC because they assume 90% of the users are going to change the keybindings anyway.

The Cowboy

This to me seems more like the template for PC development instead of optimising. Can't be bothered to make the game run better on X GPU/CPU?, ahh well, we'll just up the GPU/CPU requirements so it needs more to get the desired performance.

Does Ubisoft not understand that the people complaining about performance in their games are the ones who already have the parts they're telling them to go buy?

Madness

Or it means your optimizations were pretty shit. Aren't the console GPU's like weaker than AMD 7870 or something?

Gaz_RB

I don't think this quote means what most people in this thread are taking it to mean.

I don't think this is referring to AC4s shitty performance

Glass Rebel

preach

Ubisoft is a terrible company on the same level as EA

Omega

Banned
Facepalm.
Really Ubisoft, really.

I guess Ubisoft is saying I should stay clear of their PC games then.

This.

As good as The Division sounds, Ubi can fuck off.

It's sad how ignorant people are about PCs in 2013. It's not even that they're ignorant, it's that they seemingly take pride in it.

preach

Ubisoft is a terrible company on the same level as EA

Even though EA is on my shitlist, don't insult them like that.

At least when it comes to PC gaming they put in more of an effort. Origin isn't all that bad, especially with features like Twitch.tv broadcasting and their return policy that Steam doesn't have. uPlay on the other hand, serves no purpose at all.

Top Bottom