• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft revises Watch Dog's PC specs (even more demanding ones, 6GB RAM minimum)

dLMN8R

This guarantees that the game is exclusively a port from the next-gen version, without any of the concessions that the PS3/360 version will have.

This is a good thing!

Means it's going to look like shit on 360/PS3.
With requirements like this, it's probably not just looks. I have a feeling that Watch Dogs will be practically a completely different game on current gen vs. next gen. I wish EA/DICE did something similar with Battlefield 4.

Look at the original Crysis - it still has more impressive terrain destruction, dynamic environment changes, and persistent massive levels than any of its sequels or any other current-gen game on any platform. It's primarily because of concessions being made to current-gen console platforms.

Sini

I really want to know why they need minimum 6GB of ram. I'm not saying that getting extra ram would be expensive, but still this game doesn't look so complex that it would require so much ram.
Also I'm not talking about graphical complexity.

kinggroin

Banned
I have yet to run into a single game where my 4GB of ram wasn't enough. I don't use the PC for anything except gaming, so, we'll see.

L~A

I 'm really looking forward to actual gameplay footage from the PC version, to see if it really warrants such high requirements.

Damaniel

Banned
Exactly. But I am sure we will have some whiners here try to spin this as it's a bad thing because their six year old computer can't run it.

And/or blame the problem on 'lazy devs' writing unoptimized code. That's a popular option too.

People had to know this was coming. Next gen consoles means that PC game requirements are going to increase to match those consoles. We're just used to having 8800GTs and 2GB of RAM as minimum requirements because the previous console generation lasted far too long.

GetemMa

I have everything but the processor for the recommended specs.

Damn. Fuck it, I will just get the PS4 version and trade it in when I'm done.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Everyone should have at least 8 GBs of ram anyway, super cheap and makes a massive difference in day to day computer usage. Processor requirements make me nervous though, hopefully my i53570K will do alright overclocked. The 8 cores and 800 GTX series videocards need to come out so I can upgrade. Wish I would have gotten a second 670 a while back but oh well, too late now.

Hopefully this means the game really is a next gen stunner though and not just horribly unoptimized. We haven't had direct feed footage in a while so who knows. Show the PC version Ubisoft!

Cases like this are why I opted to pay the premium for the 2600K over the 2500K when I upgraded last year as I knew we'd be heading into the next generation of consoles with Intel still locking hex cores and above behind the "enthusiast" paywall. I'm looking forward to seeing how i5s compare against their hyperthreaded brothers.

mgcastro

Sorry for being a bit off-topic, but, I'm buying a laptop soon, say I want to play some next gen games on it, even if it's in low or mid settings, what mobile GPU could handle this game?

Phil4000

Damn, looks like Iam going to have to upgrade my CPU sooner than I thought :)
With these specs the game might actually look as good as the reveal, exciting!

-PXG-

Overclocked 2500k @ 4.6 GHz. Two 560s and 16 of RAM...I should be alright. Too bad I'm buying this for PS4.

Actually, it's a PC game.

Nice edit of it being a shitty down port.

But anyways since it obviously can run on an 360 the only reason for those specs depends on just that the developers did not take the time to enable it to run on lower ones.

Sure PC is the dev platform but you can clearly see they did not put in the extra effort for PC gamers. =/

kswiston

I have 10GB more than that. The only thing I'm really worried about is my GPU. I have a 560.

I have the same card (though I have an overclocked 2GB version). Performance is only 10% or so behind the recommended 560 ti, so you could probably make due with some frame dips, or a decreased setting or two.

pixlexic

Banned
Considering bf4 recommends 3 and I get 60 fps on ultra with 2 .. Something's not right about these crazy PC recommended specs.

dLMN8R

I really want to know why they need minimum 6GB of ram. I'm not saying that getting extra ram would be expensive, but still this game doesn't look so complex that it would require so much ram.
Also I'm not talking about graphical complexity.

Persistence.

Look at the original Crysis vs. its sequels. The original had absolutely massive levels, and every single thing you did on those levels was remembered from the beginning to the end of the multiple hours it might take to complete them.

Imagine a GTA 5 where things don't reset the instant you leave the vicinity. Where the world state can actually be persisted, things you do in that world truly mattering in the long-term, a more convincing simulation where more than just the world right around you exists at any moment.

I have no idea if Watch Dogs will successfully be that game, but by demanding such a high minimum requirement, at least it's possible.

Mesoian

So the fall of PC gaming begins.

Opposite. We're getting back to the point where PC versions of games look dramatically better than their console counterparts instead of the same at higher resolutions, 8-16aaxx, 60fps and the occational official high res texture pack.

This is actually getting me a little excited about Watch_Dogs. I'll throw up my digital pre-order once I get my paycheck.

The hell would you need 32GB+ for

Video editing.

Though you shouldn't be playing games on an editing station.

Damaniel

Banned
If you don't have as much RAM as your motherboard can support, you're being strangely stubborn.

Or, as in my case, if you have a Noctua NH-D14 blocking the RAM slots and you're too lazy to take it out and replace the 4 4GB RAM sticks with 4 8GB ones... :)

(At this rate, I might have to soon anyway. Not that I'm complaining!)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
You can get 16 gigs of ram for 60-70 bucks on the regular now. Also, lol@ these requirements.

kswiston

The hell would you need 32GB+ for

Nothing game related, but I am surprised to see so many PC gamers running 4GB of RAM when they meet all these other requirements. If you can afford to drop $200-350 on a vid card, you can afford $40-50 to boost your ram to 8GB.

I do think this is like this because they can't optimize it correctly... maybe? Even Crysis 3, which looks amazing, isn't even this goddamn demanding (on paper).

Graphics have less to do with it than world size and persistence I would think. The PC version is a step up from even the PS4 version in graphics anyway.

Sounds very poorly optimized.

I expect Ubi to damage control PC performance. They'll say "our requirements for this game are very high. Please make sure you have the recommended specs for the best results"

Many will meet or exceed those requirements and it will still run like shit on a number of configurations.

Threi

notag
I said damn.

Gunna see if I can still squeak by with my IB i3 + 650ti (outperforms that phenom, even fully threaded so I hope the game recognizes cpus as threads and not cores)

Top Bottom