• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] Amazon to stop accepting Visa credit cards

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...accepting-visa-credit-cards-issued-in-the-u-k

Amazon.com Inc. will stop accepting payments made using Visa credit cards issued in the U.K. starting next year.

Some customers were told of the changes this week. After making purchases they received a notification from Amazon saying that “starting 19 January 2022, we will no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the U.K.” due to the high fees charged by Visa to process transactions.

Amazon customers can still use Visa debit cards, as well as MasterCard and Amex credit cards, as well as Visa credit cards issued outside of the U.K., according to the information it shared with customers.

“We are very disappointed that Amazon is threatening to restrict consumer choice in the future. When consumer choice is limited, nobody wins,” a Visa spokesman said in an email. “We have a long-standing relationship with Amazon, and we continue to work toward a resolution.”

Amazon did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Visa's on the way out in the UK generally I think. Two banks I have accounts with have shifted their cards from Visa to Mastercard this year without warning or explanation.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This really has little impact of most of us adults although if your bank doesn't issue a debit card branded by one of the major carriers then there is something really wrong because both my main bank cards issued for debit purposes are both Visa.

It's a big deal for those that live off credit because let's not act like we're not adults here and realize how many fees are involved and how you play this game called the credit game.

In other words, "Don't make a big deal out of it spider you stuttering prick".

Last edited:

DKehoe

Won't affect me since I use my debit card, which is a Visa, for that kind of thing. But I imagine they'll come to some sort of deal before this comes into effect.

Last edited:

Porcile

Does this apply just to Amazon.com? I am not based in the UK anymore but still use my Visa credit card on Amazon.co.jp

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I have cut my use of Amazon to near zero over the last two years. I'd rather use Walmart or Best Buy at this point.

When you see a credit card company getting bullied, you know this corporation needs to be stopped.

chixdiggit

Odd because I literally have a credit card that is Visa with Amazon rewards that I got through Amazon.
I'm US not UK but still strange.

Last edited:

Impotaku

This really has little impact of most of us adults although if your bank doesn't issue a debit card branded by one of the major carriers then there is something really wrong because both my main bank cards issued for debit purposes are both Visa.

It's a big deal for those that live off credit because let's not act like we're not adults here and realize how many fees are involved and how you play this game called the credit game.

Debits cards offer no protection if you get fucked over on buying something.

Pretty sure it's only amazon uk pulling this so far, the news sites reporting it haven't been specific to what region of amazon it seems to be varying with some saying amazon com others saying amazon uk but only on the amazon uk website does it mention anything in the top bar on the page about this change, amazon usa & japan are saying nothing.

No way in hell i'm getting another credit card just for using on amazon uk, and i'm not using a debit card for online purchases as it offers no section 75 protection. If you took the funds out of your bank account via a debit card wave goodbye to them It's the reason i use a credit card in the first place as it adds a layer of protection if things go wrong.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
fathers day kisses GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

LiquidMetal14

Debits cards offer no protection if you get fucked over on buying something.

Pretty sure it's only amazon uk pulling this so far, the news sites reporting it haven't been specific to what region of amazon it seems to be varying with some saying amazon com others saying amazon uk but only on the amazon uk website does it mention anything in the top bar on the page about this change, amazon usa & japan are saying nothing.

No way in hell i'm getting another credit card just for using on amazon uk, and i'm not using a debit card for online purchases as it offers no section 75 protection. If you took the funds out of your bank account via a debit card wave goodbye to them It's the reason i use a credit card in the first place as it adds a layer of protection if things go wrong.
You're right and there are many layers to it so I wasn't going to touch any of that as the simplicity of it goes away but I do understand how the credit cards can work out in the way that you said. I play the game all the time so I know how it all works myself it's just a matter of how it suits you and if you can pay everything that you buy in a reasonable time. But that is a whole nother conversation regarding people's discipline and control of their finances.

Atrus

Gold Member
Big retailers have more power than mom and pop shops and use that power to argue for payment processing volume discounts in order to undercut the mom and pop shops even more.

We’ve seen this song and dance before with Walmart.

Reactions: Fbh

Tams

You're right in that far too many live on credit and it hurts them deeply (see South Korea for an absolute basket case of it).

But it's deeply ignorant to just dismiss credit cards like that (at least in the UK). Outside of credit, credit cards offer rewards (debit rarely do and if they do poor ones) and protection if the purchase goes wrong. You are after all spending their money when you use a credit card, so they have a much bigger incentive to get it back. Good luck with a debit card as that's your money that the provider barely cares about.

Last edited:

acm2000

i never ever use my debit card, i use my credit card 100% of the time (mastercard) and pay in full each month, this way i keep my credit score high and have buyer/fraud protection.

LiquidMetal14

You're right in that far too many live on credit and it hurts them deeply (see South Korea for an absolute basket case of it).

But it's deeply ignorant to just dismiss credit cards like that (at least in the UK). Outside of credit, credit cards offer rewards (debit rarely do and if they do poor ones) and protection if the purchase goes wrong. You are after all spending their money when you use a credit card, so they have a much bigger incentive to get it back. Good luck with a debit card as that's your that the provider barely cares about.
You make really good points there. I'm not disagreeing and like I said on my follow-up post this is a deeper issue but at the same time I do believe most of us adults use a combination of both but also realize that if we don't have our own money what are we doing anyway and you shouldn't be spending money you don't have but I do understand that there is that minority that has those special case uses so I'm not trying to be completely dismissive of that.

Tams

You make really good points there. I'm not disagreeing and like I said on my follow-up post this is a deeper issue but at the same time I do believe most of us adults use a combination of both but also realize that if we don't have our own money what are we doing anyway and you shouldn't be spending money you don't have but I do understand that there is that minority that has those special case uses so I'm not trying to be completely dismissive of that.
I don't think you realise how common (at least in the UK) it is to use a credit card like I described. And due to the protection using their money and the law provides, it's actually far more responsible to purchase (at least online) using a credit card. Using debit card is fine and all, but you don't get the protection. You also build up your credit record (which admittedly isn't anywhere near as important in the UK).

And I don't think you know how good the rewards can get. Not life changing of course, but for example having travel insurance included with you card can get you out of some right pickles and means one less thing to worry about.

If you are getting yourself into debt with credit cards, then that's mostly on you. There are tools such as credit limits available. Yes, some credit cards are marketed aggressively to try and get people into debt, but again, that's mostly on you to ignore them. If you don't have the money, then don't spend it. If you use a debit card and the only thing stopping you from getting into debt is running out of money in your account, then you still have a major issue to confront if you're an adult; those bills will still need paying.

I understand the fear around credit cards, but if you're a responsible adult then you should very easily be able to set one up to be used responsibly, even using it for almost all your purchases. In such cases the only times it's not responsible to is for small businesses that can't stomach the card issuers fees, and those businesses often refuse cards (at least for low value purchases) anyway. And yes, I have experience of that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom